How do you take street candids?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sareth

Jan 13, 2008
Singapore
www.thecrafting.com
Just curious how do those of you who take the street candids do it? Is it just point the camera at them and snap before they notice or do you ask first? I know some people not happy and try to siam when camera pointed at them, which also makes things difficult.

See something interesting, inspiring, funny just quickly whoop up the cam and snap. Usually if you do it naturally, people won't mind or notice. It's the body language. Asking is polite but would spoil the moment/candid.When they siam then you're getting the message already.

Just curious how do those of you who take the street candids do it? Is it just point the camera at them and snap before they notice or do you ask first? I know some people not happy and try to siam when camera pointed at them, which also makes things difficult.

For me i just put on my 70-200, point and shoot.

if you act like a tourist, most ppl will ignore you. :)

Most of the time, they wont notice until u took the photos, and if they do, you has nice eyes-contact photos anyway.

I usually use a more telephoto lens and shoot from an unsuspecting corner. Sometimes when need to go up abit closer just shoot and smile :)

Ryan

for me, sometime i will point my camera toward something else then when the object(person) is not looking, then i move n shoot.

usually it helps when the object is indulge with something else.

Haha, thanks for sharing guys. Got all sorts of funny ideas running through my head now.

Just walk up and shoot... :sweat:

i also sometimes think a lot when i shoot ,become oversensetive , but think of what Elliot Erwitt said "The camera puts a barrier between me and the experience" :D Wel, dont really know if can apply it to this context, but just try to squeeze yourself behind your camera then , don't let it bother you too much, just shoot, but be aware and respect the subject feeling.

i count 1, 2, 3... and say "say Cheeeeeeze..." :bsmilie:

I was taking a candid shot of a uniquely dressed girl. She did not notice, but the guy sitting behind me whispers to his wife that I was taking voyeur pictures of girls. :angry:

Or use a smaller less bulky less conspicuous camera to shoot ( digital RF ? :bsmilie: )

Use a PNS over your neck.
people will just think that you're holding your camera.
but you'll get nice low angle shots.

Hi,

For street shooting, the less bulkier the equipment the better. In fact, my preference is to use a manual focus camera. Just pre-focus or use hyperfocal distance, bring the camera to your eye, frame and shoot. I use anything from 15mm to 90mm in my street shooting.

Have a look at some of my street shots here, http://nns555.zenfolio.com/p796287849

N.S. Ng

http://nns555.zenfolio.com/

I was taking a candid shot of a uniquely dressed girl. She did not notice, but the guy sitting behind me whispers to his wife that I was taking voyeur pictures of girls. :angry:

just don try them in geylang:bsmilie:
wonder wat will happen? get clobbered?

Set up a big tripod and stand there very obviously!

Den they will think you are shooting something else.;p

Yeah I went Geylang the other day then got one siao lang wana go hug the girls then all of a sudden alot of middle aged man all zoom out of nowhere and surrounded the mad man. So I dun dare take pictures in Geylang if not no need to go home.

Yeah I noticed just today that when I set my camera on tripod with timer to take some landscape photos and people just walk straight towards my camera's view and some even stare at my camera. If you are not looking thru the view finder people will thought that you are not taking photo and will just walk straight into it. Good advise GavinTing :thumbsup:

It'd be suicide if you try to take pics of the girls at Geylang. The girls all have undercover "security" watching from a distance...

Status
Not open for further replies.