How do you store your slides?

How do you store your slides?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
correct me if i'm wrong, but the slide/negative sleeves [and even boxes] that the photo lab uses are non-archival PVC/plastic right? i.e. it is not advisable to use them for long term storage. Rather should buy archivally safe filing sleeves...

by archivally safe i mean it passes the relevant ANSI/other standards body test...

Originally posted by erwinx
correct me if i'm wrong, but the slide/negative sleeves [and even boxes] that the photo lab uses are non-archival PVC/plastic right? i.e. it is not advisable to use them for long term storage. Rather should buy archivally safe filing sleeves...

by archivally safe i mean it passes the relevant ANSI/other standards body test...

Actually, how to tell whether those are really archival? (besides trusting the sticker/description etc).

Regards
CK

I just trust the brand. But really, as long is its not PVC (with emphasis on 'chloride', should be safe). An assumption i make is that those that come from the lab are made from something like pvc...

I bought my sleeves (more than 10 years ago) from http://www.lightimpressionsdirect.com/ This is I think one of the 'champs' in archivally safe products that sells to museums etc as well.

but i'm running out so I've bought some from a local distributor of clearfile www.clearfile.com

Originally posted by ckiang

Actually, how to tell whether those are really archival? (besides trusting the sticker/description etc).

Regards
CK

majority unmounted in clear sleeves (hope that the sleeves RGB provides are semi-archival).

some stored in small boxes (mounted ones).

all stored in the electronic dry cabinet :D cos fungus can also attack your slides.....

Both ways, either mounted with/without plastic cover (although very expensive) or in plastic sleeves. Anyways, more importantly is to keep it dry, away from strong sunlight, dust-free and away from oily and sticky fingers. Then you're assured of more than 20 good years of preservation.

mounted......in the box.......in the dry-cab.......that's mine.....now got no place oredi........

after scanning...throw into the Wardrobe....

Maybe it's time to keep them into the dry cabinet...kekekeke

I used to be a volunteer @ Heritage Conservation Centre, I had some idea as to how they actually archive their stuff...

They use gloves (either latex or cotton ones) to handle their stuff.
They use a myriad of achiving materials, some of them are available outside...

1. Mylar sheet
2. acid-free paper (according to the authorities there, this is darn expensive, like $30 for a sheet or something?)
3. acid-free boxes (expensive again)
4. There's this material used to print digital banners.. I forgot the material name... I'll try to post it once I remember the name. cloth like... forgot the name... :confused:

They are very "extreme" using the materials...
using materials to wrap and wrap and wrap..... wow.

Keep away from direct sunlight (and also household lighting, since UV light destroys stuff)..

just something i know, thought I wanted to share this with you all....

erwinx > The products that the museum uses looks like they are from Light Impressions...

erwinx: may I know who's the local distributor? and how does the price compare to other brands here?

Status
Not open for further replies.