How do you focus with your Canon camera?

How do you achieve focus on your Canon camera?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Belle&Sebastain said:
custom function 4-1, the most important custom function for me!

because for 2 reasons:

1)i may not meter what i focus on (spot meter or elevatative metering)

2)the camera may not achieve focus and i have to manual focus, so if you half press, you still cannot get the camera to shoot even if you think you achieve correct focus.

:thumbsup:

I second that

I've been using the half-press method, and just yesterday the camera refused to fire even though I thought that focus was already achieved. Will try out the other method!

sane said:
I've been using the half-press method, and just yesterday the camera refused to fire even though I thought that focus was already achieved. Will try out the other method!

Refused to fire? If focus is locked there shouldn't be any reason that it won't fire.

Snoweagle said:
Refused to fire? If focus is locked there shouldn't be any reason that it won't fire.

the problem is humuns are smarter than the camera, as i said before, sometimes the camera thinks it cannot get a focus lock even though the focus is correct, so half press method is not the most ideal.

Belle&Sebastain said:
the problem is humuns are smarter than the camera, as i said before, sometimes the camera thinks it cannot get a focus lock even though the focus is correct, so half press method is not the most ideal.

I've tried the half-press method my whole life and never once it has failed me.

Snoweagle said:
I've tried the half-press method my whole life and never once it has failed me.

how many frames do you fire a week? i shoot no less than 2000 frames. custom function 4-1 never fails me, cheers!

Belle&Sebastain said:
how many frames do you fire a week? i shoot no less than 2000 frames. custom function 4-1 never fails me, cheers!

Haha...i'm not a digital shooter so don't expect me to shoot a lot.

On average i shoot only a few hundred per week. But overall, my trusty EOS 30 never fails me too!!

Just a question since we are on the topic of the CF 4-1...on a 20D, once CF 4-1 is enabled, how does one activate the Flash Exposure Lock using the 550EX? Previously the button reserved for FEL is now used as the button to focus (I think). Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

user111 said:
use half press

those using thumb to press to AF i wonder how u can mantain a tight grip on the camera body when your thumb is pressing.
because when the thumb is pressing, the other fingers will loosen, hence resulting in a less tight grip on the camera body

time to pm USM to buy an E-1 handstrap ;p

BraveHart said:
Just a question since we are on the topic of the CF 4-1...on a 20D, once CF 4-1 is enabled, how does one activate the Flash Exposure Lock using the 550EX? Previously the button reserved for FEL is now used as the button to focus (I think). Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I would want to know too...thx

coca88 said:
For me , depending on situations ..

Typically , i would use MF to focus until it's sharp then use AF to confirm focus .

I kinda like to meddle with the focusing myself rather rely totally on AF

As I have never use a full manual camera before, but logically, wouldn't it be a bit slow to use it on events? I am not saying that it is impossible as I have seen pp using FM2 for events. I am just asking whether that is possible to capture fast moving shots and is it necessary?

so to the ppl who half press, what do you when your camera refuse to focus lock once you frame properly?

a) fiddle with the lens MF switch and focus manually?

b) give up and refocus again?

c)change to other focus points?

You can also use the FTM feature: with the shutter still half pressed, reach for the manual focus ring and focus manually, then press the shutter all the way down.

Pardon my ignorant question: I suppose lens' IS will try to compensate when we move our camera after half-pressing to lock focus. Will the new FOV be stablised after that?

if you used custom function 4-1 or 4-3, you just either turn your lens focusing ring, however
on MOST times, the camera has already focus for you but it cannot lock focus, so you just press the shutter and fire.

Its actually quicker and faster method. Why not give it a try?:dunno:

your moments will be lost fiddling with your auto focus.

i gotta try this tonight..

now i understand why my camera can "fire off" when it can't AF properly...

Half press for me. Can't vote. darn!

Rear assist button.

Great for lenses featuring FTM, especially in low light when the camera may hunt during autofocus.

Rear assist button.

Great for lenses featuring FTM, especially in low light when the camera may hunt during autofocus.

Err...I am still quite a newbie to Photography. May I know what is Rear assist button? What does it do?

I'm assuming by this you're talking about the C.Fn whereby you can reassign what the halfpress of shutter and the ae lock button (*) do? (C.Fn. 4)

Setting the C.Fn to setting 1 usually would mean a half press of the shutter enables AE lock and a press of the default AE lock button (*) triggers AF.

However, when using flash, the default AE lock button (*) does not trigger AF but triggers FE lock instead.

Has anyone else experienced this? If this is so, then using this C.Fn with flash wouldn't be effective would it?

Status
Not open for further replies.