How do you carry heavy gear around when shooting ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was in London last year with my gear...how I managed? My wife helped me carry the mini trekker:lovegrin: :lovegrin: :lovegrin:

At the zoo, I use a baby pram. It is also for the ration and goody bag. Baby? she walks most of the way and is also the model.

any 1 here remember a photoshot of a fella in a golf competition , its a photo with a guy with all sorts of camera lenses ,
that 1 is really super

Chiang said:
any 1 here remember a photoshot of a fella in a golf competition , its a photo with a guy with all sorts of camera lenses ,
that 1 is really super
1430534145651_DSC_3080_2_.jpg

This?

:sweatsm: :lovegrin:

The weight of your camera bag is all about management and confident level of your shooting ability heh heh heh...

Plan well and you carry less. An unplan trip usually will weigh you down.

Try not to go for different events (day+night shoot or sports+indoor etc) within the day, if required, put some equipment in your car or get a locker if possible.

Usually, 28-70 (17-55) and 70-200 will cover most conditions. If it is for travel photography, 12-24 + 28-70 should also do the trick.

Other misc is up to you liao.

But my bag usually weighs about 8-12kg with all those misc like PSP, foldable field chair, spare t-shirt, reading materials, etc etc. :sweat:

sorry OT a bit... i travel frequently... often with a tripod... have a ROVER AW II... is there a nice way to carry your tripod... hands free (ie not sling) and yet be able to reach it as and when you want to? i mean putting it on my rover is 1 solution... but if you wanna pull out your tripod.. a bit the difficult right?

sometimes i dun mind the weight... it's more of having things accessible that's really annoying... coz i use backpacks more... recently got Stealth reporter series... really nice...:bsmilie:

If that's heavy for you then you will feel worse if you need to bring more than that. My usual load on a full day location shoot is 30kg, all my lenses are f/2.8 or faster, it ranges from 18mm to 300mm, mostly fix prime lenses witha tripod and 2 to 3 camera bodies. i use a Billingham bag with a luggage trolley to move about.

Does anyone kena blister while carrying ur sling camera bag the whole day? i'm using Stealth Reporter 400AW and usually it weighs ard 5kg thereabt with my eqpt in it..

Any ways of preventing it? :dunno: The most effective method to me by far is to wear a cam vest while shooting..

tommon said:
If that's heavy for you then you will feel worse if you need to bring more than that. My usual load on a full day location shoot is 30kg, all my lenses are f/2.8 or faster, it ranges from 18mm to 300mm, mostly fix prime lenses witha tripod and 2 to 3 camera bodies. i use a Billingham bag with a luggage trolley to move about.

wah..... so many prime and bodies??!! you sound like you are a professional photographer. HAHAHA

szekiat said:
we aren't all as built as you mate!

True! My 22kg shoulder slung daybag would break most folks backs here methinks :devil:

destiny_star said:
Does anyone kena blister while carrying ur sling camera bag the whole day? i'm using Stealth Reporter 400AW and usually it weighs ard 5kg thereabt with my eqpt in it..

Any ways of preventing it? :dunno: The most effective method to me by far is to wear a cam vest while shooting..
Are you using the original Lowepro sling? Try the Eagle Creek sling, far better and more comfortable. Reduces the stress on your shoulders also...I can carry my SR 650 with 24-70+300mm+1D w/o any problems on my shoulders..

we have similar problems. my max set up is d70/f100 + flash +80-400=heavy. my main problem is stabilizing the gears w a tired hand after a few shoot. hence,i bought a nikon wrist strap n fix ti the camera. with the wrist support, the weight is better distributed. hence far more comfortable now.
As for walking around, i train in gym w a 10kg load on my back whenever i feel like. my max gear load is abt 8kg. so walking around w "full" gear is now not as tired as before. i use backpack

we have similar problems. my max set up is d70/f100 + flash +80-400=heavy. my main problem is stabilizing the gears w a tired hand after a few shoot. hence,i bought a nikon wrist strap n fix ti the camera. with the wrist support, the weight is better distributed. hence far more comfortable now.
As for walking around, i train in gym w a 10kg load on my back whenever i feel like. my max gear load is abt 8kg. so walking around w "full" gear is now not as tired as before. i use backpack

If I have no idea what I will be shooting, I pack a 35mm SLR body, a hand-held light meter, a flash unit, 6 filters, and the following lenses in one bag:

18mm f3.5
24mm f2
35mm f1.4
85mm f1.8
180mm f2.8

In an optional backup bag, I pack another 35mm SLR body, a second flash unit, an optical slave, a tabletop tripod, extra batteries, a gray card, a lens cleaner, an extension tube set, a 2X teleconverter, a small flash light, and any or all of the following extra lenses that I think I may need:

28mm perspective control for architectural shots
55mm macro
105mm macro for portraits or close-up shots
400mm lens

With these two bags, at least 10 rolls of film, a medium tripod, and a cable release, I am ready for most photographic subjects.

jeez this is turning to be an equipment comparison. Next thing you know everyone will be asking how long and how thick is yours :bsmilie:

+evenstar said:
Are you using the original Lowepro sling? Try the Eagle Creek sling, far better and more comfortable. Reduces the stress on your shoulders also...I can carry my SR 650 with 24-70+300mm+1D w/o any problems on my shoulders..

Yes i am using the the original sling strap.. Mebbe i shd give a try at ur recommendation..
Thanx alot.. :thumbsup:

just to let you know that the eagle creek comes in different sizes. Used to have the largest one. Fantastic on the shoulder.

TMC said:
jeez this is turning to be an equipment comparison. Next thing you know everyone will be asking how long and how thick is yours :bsmilie:

i'll show u mine, if u show me urs... :bsmilie:

anyway, yeah. for those using lowepro shoulder bags, seriously recommend the eagles creek strap. i got mine from sports connection at west mall ard $10 per strap (its on offer now). its way way way more comfortable than the thinly padded, sorry-looking lowepro straps. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.