How do you backup your digital images?

How do you backup your digital images?


Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ah Pao

Senior Member
Nov 7, 2003
1,662
0
36
Singapore
www.facebook.com
#6
CD-R seems to be a fav among CSers. Cheap and relatively reliable.
Nevertheless, come 2005 people may move along to DVD-R...prices of DVD-R drives are dropping to afforable levels.
 

Kit

Senior Member
Jan 19, 2002
11,692
42
48
42
Upper Bukit Timah
Visit site
#7
I've stopped using CD-Rs after some of them became unreadable after a few years and yes, I used the good ones. Bought 2 HDs with portable casings. So far ok. Hope it stays that way.
 

teL

New Member
Jul 8, 2003
339
0
0
44
Singapore
engloy.elcreations.net
#8
Kit said:
I've stopped using CD-Rs after some of them became unreadable after a few years and yes, I used the good ones. Bought 2 HDs with portable casings. So far ok. Hope it stays that way.
How did you store your CD-Rs? I have 2 copies of each disc I make... one as a working copy and one which I store in a cool, dry room.
 

Triton

New Member
Oct 10, 2003
243
0
0
West
Visit site
#9
Call me kiasu but I keep them in 3 separate media types...

1) DVD-R (this is the Master Copy)
2) CD-R (Backup)
3) HDD (this is more for easy looking-up once awhile)
 

ST1100

Senior Member
Jun 18, 2003
1,785
0
0
Singapore, Bedok
#10
i bought CD burner and DVD burner, but too lazy to backup. Waiting for my first major harddisk crash to spur me into action. :D
 

Darren

ClubSNAP Admin
Staff member
Jan 16, 2002
8,606
26
48
Melbourne
#11
ST1100 said:
i bought CD burner and DVD burner, but too lazy to backup. Waiting for my first major harddisk crash to spur me into action. :D
Errrr ... isn't that too late? Once crash, all your data may be gone.

Myself, I will have a three-tier storage strategy (whooo ... sound so technical) soon

1. Main HDD for uploading and viewing of recently captured images
2. Will be getting an external HDD for near-line storage (anything over 6 months - 1 year)
3. Burn onto DVD for safekeeping.

Have had problems with corrupt JPEGs halting the DVD-burn (thus wasting $$$ each time) - will have to learn to do a test-burn before the actual.
 

phrozact

New Member
Jul 14, 2003
105
0
0
Visit site
#13
SniperD said:
got to be CDRs for me... cheap and fast. May move to DVDRs but with 4.4G worth of pictures in ONE ROM..... kinda risky man... heehee..
just my thoughts ;)
Yeah, was thinking about that too...but I've also heard CDRs are unreadable after 2 years or something like that even though they havent been touched. I'm hoping the DVDs are longer lasting.
 

Whitesand

New Member
Sep 12, 2002
76
0
0
Visit site
#14
Slightly OT:

When backing up to CDR etc, what do you guys backup?

I mean beside the original file downloaded from camera, do you save a backup a copy of your edited (say by photoshop) JPG file and the photoshop file too?

Anyone care to share how is the filing in directory/subdirectory or file naming used? There must be some systematic way to handle the ever increasing number of picture files.

Thanks in advance.
 

AReality

Senior Member
Jun 9, 2003
4,458
0
0
VisualJournalist.net
#15
Whitesand said:
Slightly OT:

When backing up to CDR etc, what do you guys backup?

I mean beside the original file downloaded from camera, do you save a backup a copy of your edited (say by photoshop) JPG file and the photoshop file too?

Anyone care to share how is the filing in directory/subdirectory or file naming used? There must be some systematic way to handle the ever increasing number of picture files.

Thanks in advance.

I backup in chronological order...
folders R named e.g. : 040108 - Main Activity - Sub Activity , taken today...

Then edited photos are inside a sub-folder.
 

poh6702

New Member
May 8, 2004
999
1
0
#16
I backup on:

1. Notebook HDD, working copy
2. USB Portable HDD
3. DVD-RAM, I initially used DVD-RW, but worry about media problem after few years, change to DVD-RAM heard that it is more reliable.
 

Ansel

Senior Member
Apr 30, 2003
2,207
0
0
Land Downunder
Visit site
#17
Darren said:
Myself, I will have a three-tier storage strategy (whooo ... sound so technical) soon
.
.
.
.
In the industry we call this ILM -- Information Life-cycle Management. Tell me about how technical it is. :confused:

Darren said:
Have had problems with corrupt JPEGs halting the DVD-burn (thus wasting $$$ each time) - will have to learn to do a test-burn before the actual.
Will this problem go away if you get a burner with some amount of buffer memory?
 

ST1100

Senior Member
Jun 18, 2003
1,785
0
0
Singapore, Bedok
#19
Prices of DVD media has dropped considerably in the last 12 months. When i bought my first batch of DVD-Rs (Verbatim), they were $8 a piece. Today, the branded ones are going $3-$5, and the cheapest DVD-Rs i've found at Sim Lim is $0.80 a piece.
 

jbma

Senior Member
Dec 28, 2003
3,287
0
0
Tampines
#20
I have 3 copies. One on the hd as a working copy. One on a USB hd 120GB and another on DVD -R (more to DVD-RAM now. 9 GB for each disk).
 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom