How do you backup your digital images?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ah Pao

Nov 7, 2003
Singapore
www.facebook.com
CD-R seems to be a fav among CSers. Cheap and relatively reliable.
Nevertheless, come 2005 people may move along to DVD-R...prices of DVD-R drives are dropping to afforable levels.

Kit

Jan 19, 2002
Upper Bukit Timah
Visit site
I've stopped using CD-Rs after some of them became unreadable after a few years and yes, I used the good ones. Bought 2 HDs with portable casings. So far ok. Hope it stays that way.

teL

Jul 8, 2003
Singapore
engloy.elcreations.net
Kit said:
I've stopped using CD-Rs after some of them became unreadable after a few years and yes, I used the good ones. Bought 2 HDs with portable casings. So far ok. Hope it stays that way.
How did you store your CD-Rs? I have 2 copies of each disc I make... one as a working copy and one which I store in a cool, dry room.

Triton

Oct 10, 2003
West
Visit site
Call me kiasu but I keep them in 3 separate media types...

1) DVD-R (this is the Master Copy)
2) CD-R (Backup)
3) HDD (this is more for easy looking-up once awhile)

ST1100

Jun 18, 2003
Singapore, Bedok
i bought CD burner and DVD burner, but too lazy to backup. Waiting for my first major harddisk crash to spur me into action. :D

Darren

ClubSNAP Admin
Staff member
Jan 16, 2002
Melbourne
ST1100 said:
i bought CD burner and DVD burner, but too lazy to backup. Waiting for my first major harddisk crash to spur me into action. :D
Errrr ... isn't that too late? Once crash, all your data may be gone.

Myself, I will have a three-tier storage strategy (whooo ... sound so technical) soon

1. Main HDD for uploading and viewing of recently captured images
2. Will be getting an external HDD for near-line storage (anything over 6 months - 1 year)
3. Burn onto DVD for safekeeping.

Have had problems with corrupt JPEGs halting the DVD-burn (thus wasting $$$ each time) - will have to learn to do a test-burn before the actual.

phrozact

Jul 14, 2003
Visit site
SniperD said:
got to be CDRs for me... cheap and fast. May move to DVDRs but with 4.4G worth of pictures in ONE ROM..... kinda risky man... heehee..
just my thoughts ;)
Yeah, was thinking about that too...but I've also heard CDRs are unreadable after 2 years or something like that even though they havent been touched. I'm hoping the DVDs are longer lasting.

Whitesand

Sep 12, 2002
Visit site
Slightly OT:

When backing up to CDR etc, what do you guys backup?

I mean beside the original file downloaded from camera, do you save a backup a copy of your edited (say by photoshop) JPG file and the photoshop file too?

Anyone care to share how is the filing in directory/subdirectory or file naming used? There must be some systematic way to handle the ever increasing number of picture files.

Thanks in advance.

AReality

Jun 9, 2003
VisualJournalist.net
Whitesand said:
Slightly OT:

When backing up to CDR etc, what do you guys backup?

I mean beside the original file downloaded from camera, do you save a backup a copy of your edited (say by photoshop) JPG file and the photoshop file too?

Anyone care to share how is the filing in directory/subdirectory or file naming used? There must be some systematic way to handle the ever increasing number of picture files.

Thanks in advance.

I backup in chronological order...
folders R named e.g. : 040108 - Main Activity - Sub Activity , taken today...

Then edited photos are inside a sub-folder.

poh6702

May 8, 2004
I backup on:

1. Notebook HDD, working copy
2. USB Portable HDD
3. DVD-RAM, I initially used DVD-RW, but worry about media problem after few years, change to DVD-RAM heard that it is more reliable.

Ansel

Apr 30, 2003
Land Downunder
Visit site
Darren said:
Myself, I will have a three-tier storage strategy (whooo ... sound so technical) soon
In the industry we call this ILM -- Information Life-cycle Management. Tell me about how technical it is. :confused:

Darren said:
Have had problems with corrupt JPEGs halting the DVD-burn (thus wasting $$$ each time) - will have to learn to do a test-burn before the actual.
Will this problem go away if you get a burner with some amount of buffer memory?

ST1100

Jun 18, 2003
Singapore, Bedok
Prices of DVD media has dropped considerably in the last 12 months. When i bought my first batch of DVD-Rs (Verbatim), they were $8 a piece. Today, the branded ones are going $3-$5, and the cheapest DVD-Rs i've found at Sim Lim is $0.80 a piece.

jbma

Dec 28, 2003
Tampines
I have 3 copies. One on the hd as a working copy. One on a USB hd 120GB and another on DVD -R (more to DVD-RAM now. 9 GB for each disk).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom