How do u choose your wide angle lens?

Status
Not open for further replies.

greenieadi

Mar 12, 2006
Jurong West
I'm in the midst of getting a wide angle lens wide enough to shoot indoors where space is constraint. After checking out a few lenses, I'm surprised that some lenses, while in focal range looks wide but upon reading the tech on viewing angle is not.

Here is an illustration:

WideAngle.jpg

Based on the illustration, my kit lens (18-70mm) at widest is slightly less wide than the 11-18mm @11mm.

Or am I concluding it wrongly. So which u use to determine the term "wide", focal length or viewing angle? Let's not talk about image quality or aperture here.

Check that your specs are correct.
Angle of view is usually measured diagonally. Some of the specs provided may be measuring the angle of view horizontally or vertically.

According to your diagram the Sigma 20mm is wider than the 16/17mm? :bigeyes:

Check that your specs are correct.
Angle of view is usually measured diagonally. Some of the specs provided may be measuring the angle of view horizontally or vertically.

According to your diagram the Sigma 20mm is wider than the 16/17mm? :bigeyes:

I think in this case it might be across the diameter of the image circle. The CZ 16-80 is probably for a 1.5x crop while the rest can cover full 135 frame.

I think in this case it might be across the diammeter of the image circle. The CZ 16-80 is probably for a 1.5x crop while the rest can cover full 135 frame.

The Sigma 20mm and KM 50mm prime are full frame lenses, the rest are for APS-C sensor. So why the KM 18-70 @18mm wider than CZ @16mm ? Not mentioned as horizontal field of view angle though, just angle of view.But, IMHO, I guess users are interested more on the Horizontal angle rather than vertical or diagonal ones.

I checked out a Nikon 18-55 AF-S DX lens for those familiar with Nikon mount and @18mm it's is 78 deg (mentioned only as angle of view), Canon EF-S 18-55mm horizontal view angle @18mm is 65 deg.

If anyone have a have any of the lenses to compare would be better and put this case to rest.

Any A-mount users with any of the above lenses can help to compare against the kit lens?

Anyway again, how u guys decide to buy lenses, based on focal length or angle of view for wide angle lenses, either pime or zoom?

The Sigma 20mm and KM 50mm prime are full frame lenses, the rest are for APS-C sensor. So why the KM 18-70 @18mm wider than CZ @16mm ? The angle shown are Horizontal field of view angles.

I checked out a Nikon 18-55 AF-S DX lens for those familiar with Nikon mount and @18mm it's is 78 deg (mentioned only as angle of view), Canon EF-S 18-55mm horizontal view angle @18mm is 65 deg.

If anyone have a have any of the lenses to compare would be better and put this case to rest.

Any A-mount users with any of the about lenses can compare to the kit lens?

Anyway again, how u guys decide to buy lenses, based on focal length or angle of view for wide angle lenses, either pime or zoom?
for all I know, Nikon normally quote the angle of field as the diagonal angle...

Status
Not open for further replies.