How do i quote?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

Seeking advice from fellow CSers and i'm kinda desperate for solutions need to submit the quotations by today...

Was asked to quote for Studio Photography based on the theme, Fashion and they will make fashion catalougues out of the photos taken.

What are the things i should consider and take note of before i quote? based on what?

How do i come about with the deliverable? cos i forsee that doing family portraits in studio are different from those done for fashion

I had done several studio photography mainly for family portraits, graduations but none for commercial ones.

Your favourable advices are appreciated. Thanks :)

Is too late for you probably, but guess it will still be useful for others if they need in future.

For products, what kind of products? Do you have the necessary equipment and skill to take those products?

Eg #1: Making jewellery / Lazy Susans look nice is a bit different from say, making fish in a tank or clothes look nice. If you don't believe me, you can try it out yourself.

Eg #2: Lens and lighting / props for setup are going to be different also, for jewellery / clothes.

Possible costs would include transport / studio / model / props / assistant among other things, especially if you're dealing with heavy products. Are they going to provide these? Or are they expecting you to include the costs of such things in your quote? It's best to make clear before taking the job.

For deliverables, depends on what they want also. Eg. Do they need prints? Or just digital photos? Do they need you to photoshop the photos first? Or even if they don't need you to photoshop, do you think you will need / want to photoshop them anyway?

Also, how much time do you need to complete everything needed? Are they giving you enough time? Or if they are asking for rush job, are you sure you can meet the deadline? If you have assistant etc, are you paying OT which will increase the cost also?

And last but not least, payment terms and payment method. Eg: upfront payment / deposit / c.o.d. / 30 or 60 days credit?
Payment by bank transfer / cash / cheque etc. Some payment methods will charge you. Also currency exchange if not dealing in SGD.

hey thanks for the reply... as mentioned in my post its a fashion shoot.

would it be advisable to quote a lump sum or hourly? anyway i'm not a pro... just a freelancer... i will be providing only the studio set ups, lighting and camera n lenses and photo editing. and most probable it will be an indoor shoot in a studio.

Props and models and clothes will be provided by my client. Dateline shold be around 2weeks after the shoots.

I would also include on your quote the license to the images that will be provided.

Eg. What rights to the images are they also paying for, this should also be itemised on the invoice.

Eg. If they are going to use the images once off then you may want to give them a limit 1 year license for just the planned media they want to use.
You should also state if they have the right to sell the images / sub-license.

Even though some of these things can be asumed its better not to leave anything to interpretation. That way you protect yourself.

I would also include on your quote the license to the images that will be provided.

Eg. What rights to the images are they also paying for, this should also be itemised on the invoice.

Eg. If they are going to use the images once off then you may want to give them a limit 1 year license for just the planned media they want to use.
You should also state if they have the right to sell the images / sub-license.

Even though some of these things can be asumed its better not to leave anything to interpretation. That way you protect yourself.

ok i so dont get you in this part, what si there a need for licensing of the images i took? for infringement of copyrights?

Excerpt: All quotes from http://statutes.agc.gov.sg/ (Copyright act)

(5) Where, in the case of a work being a photograph, portrait or engraving — (a) a person made, for valuable consideration, an agreement with another person for the taking of the photograph, the painting or drawing of the portrait or the making of the engraving by the other person; and (b) the work was made in pursuance of the agreement, the first-mentioned person is the owner of any copyright subsisting in the work by virtue of Part III.
Should read the copyright act. Some things in it might surprise you guys. Like this:

Special exception for artistic works which have been industrially applied
70. —(1) Notwithstanding section 69, the making of any useful article in 3 dimensions (including a reproduction in 2 dimensions reasonably required for the making of the article) does not infringe the copyright in an artistic work if, when the useful article or reproduction is made, the artistic work has been industrially applied in Singapore or in any other country at any time before the useful article or reproduction is made.
[25/2000]
(2) For the purposes of subsection (1), an artistic work is applied industrially if — (a) more than 50 reproductions in 3 dimensions are made of it, for the purposes of sale or hire; (b) it is reproduced in 3 dimensions in one or more articles manufactured in lengths, for the purposes of sale or hire; or (c) it is reproduced as a plate which has been used to produce —(i) more than 50 reproductions of an object in 3 dimensions for the purposes of sale or hire; or(ii) one or more articles in 3 dimensions manufactured in lengths for the purposes of sale or hire. (3) For the purposes of subsection (2), 2 or more reproductions in 3 dimensions which are of the same general character and intended for use together are a single reproduction. (4) In this section, “useful article” means an article having an intrinsic utilitarian function that is not merely to portray the appearance of the article or to convey information. (5) For the purposes of this section, an article that is normally part of a useful article is considered a useful article.
Photographs count as "artistic work":
"artistic work" means — (a) a painting, sculpture, drawing, engraving or photograph, whether the work is of artistic quality or not;
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong (and I hope I am!), but isn't it saying that if your photo is sold in print 50 times, then people can just put it on mugs / t-shirts etc as they like, and it isn't counted as an infringement of your copyright? :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.