How do I get started with Lomo photography

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrossOver

Aug 21, 2008
Hi guys.. All along I tot the creative pictures can be achieve using SLRs/dSLRs or photoshop.. Till today that I came across Lomo on this sub forum..

I browse through some threads and found that Holga is mainly used.. There is 120 and 135 holgas.. But since 35mm film will be use, I do not know why choose 120 and buy an adaptor for up to $65.. I read that there a few recommended shops for processing the 35mm films..

Question is, how do I get started..? How do I achieve all those superb shots..? Thru trial and error..??

-Thanks

Hi guys.. All along I tot the creative pictures can be achieve using SLRs/dSLRs or photoshop.. Till today that I came across Lomo on this sub forum..

I browse through some threads and found that Holga is mainly used.. There is 120 and 135 holgas.. But since 35mm film will be use, I do not know why choose 120 and buy an adaptor for up to $65.. I read that there a few recommended shops for processing the 35mm films..

Question is, how do I get started..? How do I achieve all those superb shots..? Thru trial and error..??

-Thanks

holga uses 120 film, i am not sure if you got the right idea but you will need an adaptor only for 35mm film..

why not shoot 120?

as to how to get started, the fun about lomography is that there are no rules, and you need experience to know how to get roughly what you want in terms of exposure, composition, etc.

people pay "tuition fees" for mahjong. i think for lomography, you have to pay "tuition fees" in the form of wasted film. but if you think hard and remember what you did for that particular roll, it will get easier faster.

Do take note that apart from the extra effects u get, the wild colours actually are derived from cross processing by developing slide film in c41 process or negs in e6 process, so do not be disappointed when u dont get the colours u see via normal processes.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies guys..

-Nightmare; Does that mean I can also achieve the same result using a 120mm film..?? Its all just in the processing methods, trial and error of exposure etc..? And just like yellow pages, let the fingers do the walking, I let my fingers do snapping..?

Lomography tagline is...."Don't think just shoot" Haha I found it true...all the cool effect sometimes it came out of accident. some factor you have no control of. So let just have fun with the camera you have. I use Holga. I do shoot in both 35mm film as well as 120mm. As someone already mentioned. To get a nice colour saturation and contrast you will need to pick slide films and do cross processing when develop it. When you use 35mm films on holga 120. You can actually produced the picture with sprockets. Which is very unique to Holga. So just try la. Have fun.

http://www.lomography.com

-Thanks

well, there are many reasons why people choose Holga 120 over 135 to shoot 35mm films.. For me, the 120 appearance is much nicer than the 135 model.. The 120 also has more colors to choose from.. not to also mention, you can choose to shoot both 120 films and 35mm films.. the 120 model also allows you to create mods for it.. therefore, its ultimately up to you to decide what appeals to you more in the Holga (should you decide to get one) As for the adapter, I believe you are referring to the Superheadz 35mm Adapter.. There is a cheaper alternative which cost about $20..

For a start, perhaps you can get a 2nd hand lomo cam to try out first.. see if you like the effects of lomo.. if you like it and starting to get a hang of it, probably you can invest in a Holga cam..

Good luck dude..
PS. Read up more in LomotionSG and welcome to the world of LOMO.. =)

Thanks for the replies guys..

-Nightmare; Does that mean I can also achieve the same result using a 120mm film..?? Its all just in the processing methods, trial and error of exposure etc..? And just like yellow pages, let the fingers do the walking, I let my fingers do snapping..?

Yes. 120mm or 35mm film is the same..

BUT TAKE NOTE:
For holga 120 models, if you want to have vignetting, you must use 120mm film.
You can have the effects of x-pro using 120mm or 35mm slide film.
But the results may vary when using diff film and different situation.

For x-pro, I think it's more of experimental photography. ;)

paging for uncle ndroo...the lomo shifu....
kindly explain and advise kind of camera and also type of film processing for lomography.

Wow a lot of positive and friendly replies.. Im so loving this forum.. I think I be getting a Holga 120 cam, since one of the advise is that it is more modifiable.. Then next is to figure out which model to choose from.. One lucky thing for me maybe is that, I am able to get hold of expired films easily.. I read that some do use expired films and get crazy results..

Those nice vibrant colours are a result of x-processing right..? If I were to choose a normal processing, it will be just our daily normal photos..?

if you're getting a 120 holga, i suggest getting those without an integrated flash, meaning those with hotshoes for an external flash, like the 120N or 120GN. at least if the dedicated flash fails (which is unlikely), a replacement would be relatively cheaper than replacing the entire camera unit. unless of course u buy an expensive flash ;) and of course a dedicated flashgun is more "powerful". from what i heard the fn, cfn, gcfn has "weak" flash that spoils easily? correct me if im wrong.

for queries regarding Holgas, i refer u to khloee's ljay for very useful info:
http://khloee.livejournal.com/21632.html

cheers!

Those nice vibrant colours are a result of x-processing right..? If I were to choose a normal processing, it will be just our daily normal photos..?

do take note that only slide films can go through x-processing.. ;) results are also dependent on the type of slide films used.. you MAY or MAY NOT get the effects you intended.. but it is these unexpected results that make lomography so fun..

do take note that only slide films can go through x-processing.. ;) results are also dependent on the type of slide films used.. you MAY or MAY NOT get the effects you intended.. but it is these unexpected results that make lomography so fun..

Yah.. Thats what I found out too through searching in this forum.. Theres a lot to learn here.. Now I know there are such thing as slide film, x-processing, 120/110mm films, interesting ways of capturing unexpected results.. Im like absorbing so many info in a short time.. Mind boggling.. Haha.. Can't wait to test em out..!!! I think I be getting a cam from either perly or 8storey.. The latter have different colours to choose from.. Weee.. Haha..

yep, different slides will give different color shift and saturation upon cross processing. here's some iirc:

1. fuji velvia: purple
2. fuji sensia 100: red
3. fuji sensia 200/lomo x-pro 200/agfa ct (new emulsion): green
4. Kodak elitechrome ebx 100: not much color shift but gives a bluish tinge.

have fun...dont think, just shoot...;p

Not sure about you but i think khloe's multiple X choice's camera prices are cheaper.. good service too.. =)

have fun...dont think, just shoot...;p

I second this!! Third, fourth and fifth!!

10 Golden Rules of Lomography

1. Take your camera everywhere you go.
2. Use it anytime, day and night.
3. Lomography is not an interference in your life, but part of it.
4. Try the shot from the hip.
5. Approach the objects of your lomographic desire as closely as possible.
6. Don't think (William Firebrace).
7. Be fast.
8. You don't have to know beforehand what you captured on film.
9. Afterwards, either.
10. Don't worry about any rules.

Not sure about you but i think khloe's multiple X choice's camera prices are cheaper.. good service too.. =)

imho, if TS can MO from lomography.com and save on shipping, the cameras are quite cheap as well. :)

Aiyaiyayai.. So much more and many more to choose from.. Already now someone wants to let go a Camo holga 120 gcfn or Black holga 120 cfn for 70buckaroos each.. 20buckaroos more for adaptor.. Hmmm... Or should i go for multiple x flea market this saturday..? Discount up to 10%.. :dunno:

No harm popping by the flea market. And I do agree with the comments on Khloe :thumbsup:

Aiyaiyayai.. So much more and many more to choose from.. Already now someone wants to let go a Camo holga 120 gcfn or Black holga 120 cfn for 70buckaroos each.. 20buckaroos more for adaptor.. Hmmm... Or should i go for multiple x flea market this saturday..? Discount up to 10%.. :dunno:

I say go down to the flea.. first 20 customers got freebies somemore.. hahahaa.. furthermore, buying from khloe gives you a peace of mind knowing the cams she sells you are definitely in good conditions.. She is a trustworthy and reliable seller.. better email her to reserve a set now!!

Status
Not open for further replies.