how do i achive black background?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dejected

Mar 26, 2006
east!
hi i've been looking tru the web for macro shots for some inspiration and saw some really nice shots with subjects illuminated but background pitch black.

here's one example.
http://www.ephotozine.com/images/Tamron90pic2.jpg

how can i achive such effect? i'm thinking of getting a Tamron 90mm Di soon :)

under expose the bg
use flash as main source of light
make sure the flash does not illuminate the bg

btw your link does not work

hmm how do i know how much to under the BG? will my 550ex do the job or will i require dedicated ring flash that are avb for macro works?

i've read from some sites that a black box with pin hole i do not quite understand the procedure but is that able to achive too?

meter the bg and under expose by at least 2 stops
try it out.

you 550ex will do the job, but you will need some kind of diffuser for softer light.

will the Stofen diffuser do? i use that for events not sure if it's advisable...

btw 90mm di any views on this particular lens?

mods, if my thread is deemed out of place pls do the necessary... pardon my mistake pls :embrass:

ortega said:
meter the bg and under expose by at least 2 stops
try it out.

you 550ex will do the job, but you will need some kind of diffuser for softer light.

I do not do much macro.

But I think what I am going to suggest will result in a very black background.

I will not bother to try to underexpose the background although it makes sense to underexpose the background to make it darker. I think there is a simpler way.

What I will do, if I want a black blackground, is to use a very small aperture and light the subject with a flash.

The theory is very simple. The flash will ensure the subject is properly lit, and the very small aperture make sure little light gets in from the background. I will not worry about the flash illuminating the background if the aperture is very small, like f22 or smaller.

you mean the tamron 90mm?
lots of reviews on the net, google it.

if the stofen will work or not it depends on how you use it.
try it out for yourself.

student said:
I do not do much macro.

But I think what I am going to suggest will result in a very black background.

I will not bother to try to underexpose the background although it makes sense to underexpose the background to make it darker. I think there is a simpler way.

What I will do, if I want a black blackground, is to use a very small aperture and light the subject with a flash.

The theory is very simple. The flash will ensure the subject is properly lit, and the very small aperture make sure little light gets in from the background. I will not worry about the flash illuminating the background if the aperture is very small, like f22 or smaller.
isn't that the same as underexposing the bg?

ortega said:
isn't that the same as underexposing the bg?

Of course when the background is dark it is underexposed.

But a two-stops underexposure will not result in a completely black background - I mean "black". To get "blacK", you want to have no light coming from the background. ( yes, I read that you said two or more stops)

And in the way I suggested, one does not have to meter the background. Just use a very small aperture and flash away!

I know you photograph macros often, and I almost do not. But do this as a favor for me - the next time you take time to do macro photography. I am serious and sincere. Try this and let me know if my "theory" works.

your theory will work, no doubt about that.
I am just saying that your theory and my theory are the same.

cheers doc

hmmmmm so if i use a smaller aperture i won't need to bother about metering :)

Set camera to AV(aperture priority)mode.
Go to MENU on camera - Custom Function(C.Fn)
Set Flash sync speed in AV mode to
1:1/200sec, 1/250(fixed) depending on the camera you have and viola...
there you have it....
subject is lit and you have a dark background.

Are you sure you want a black background?!?

For other macro it's fine, but a black background is considered bad for many nature photos. In fact I purposely go out of my way to avoid a black background where ever possible.

Just my 2c.

thanks for the tips. i just want to know how to achive both background and natural background... :)

thedellis said:
Are you sure you want a black background?!?

For other macro it's fine, but a black background is considered bad for many nature photos. In fact I purposely go out of my way to avoid a black background where ever possible.

Just my 2c.

dejected said:
thanks for the tips. i just want to know how to achive both background and natural background... :)

PICT5352edit.jpg

something like tis?

think iirc tat time i use ring flash, then flash the hell out of them...

anything 1/60 to 1/125 then aperture f8 and above will do... not wrong... tis pic 1/125 f16 or f22...

I think as long as u grossly underexpose the picture, ie. use a high F-stop, fast shutterspeed, and low ISO, the flash will just illuminate the subject with a dark background, and that's provided your background is relatively far away so that the flash can't reach. Best to use manual mode with the highest flash sync speed.

To achieve a black BG is quite technical. Thru my observations, it all voice down to these few points

1. how close is the subject and the Bg from you
2. Lighting condition of the environment
3. High aperture size (F16 and above) with high shutterspeed on low ISO
4. Flash with diffuser is recommended

The closer your subject with the furthest BG, high F.stop, high shutterspeed, low ISO and dim lighting condition with flash (with diffuser - just to light up the subject) will get you a dark or black BG.

Under bright sunny day, it is more difficult to achieve a black BG unless the BG is already black in colour or the BG is extremely far away (or no BG). If your BG is the sky, worst still. Instead of getting a black BG, you get a blue BG.

If you are far from the subject and the BG is close to it, with the correct camera setting, you still may not be able to get the black BG. That would depend on where is your flash facing and how close is your flash to the subject. Your flash may brighten up the BG without you knowing.

That's my observation. Please correct me if I'm wrong. ;)

:)

i'm wondering if i get a black piece of cardboard, place it as a bg... this should work wonderfully right???

Qazwer said:
To achieve a black BG is quite technical. Thru my observations, it all voice down to these few points

1. how close is the subject and the Bg from you
2. Lighting condition of the environment
3. High aperture size (F16 and above) with high shutterspeed on low ISO
4. Flash with diffuser is recommended

The closer your subject with the furthest BG, high F.stop, high shutterspeed, low ISO and dim lighting condition with flash (with diffuser - just to light up the subject) will get you a dark or black BG.

Under bright sunny day, it is more difficult to achieve a black BG unless the BG is already black in colour or the BG is extremely far away (or no BG). If your BG is the sky, worst still. Instead of getting a black BG, you get a blue BG.

If you are far from the subject and the BG is close to it, with the correct camera setting, you still may not be able to get the black BG. That would depend on where is your flash facing and how close is your flash to the subject. Your flash may brighten up the BG without you knowing.

That's my observation. Please correct me if I'm wrong. ;)

:)

dejected said:
i'm wondering if i get a black piece of cardboard, place it as a bg... this should work wonderfully right???

thats the easiest way out... but make sure its big enuff, then its further away from the foreground to be natural.

Status
Not open for further replies.