how do i achieve behind blur and infront forcus??? without ps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thx for e add-ons...

But now I think zoossh is askin wat 'Bokeh' is; n not wat contributes to it... ;)

actually there are a number of factors to consider

1. Focal lenght of lens (the longer the focal lenght the less DOF you get)
2. Aperture (the bigger the aperture (smaller f-stop) the less DOF you get)
3. Subject to camera distance (the higher the magnification the less DOF)
4. Subject to bg distance (the further the blurrer)
5. lens used (some lenses have better bokeh than others)

so for max. effect use all of the above

one more, the focus distance cannot reach infinity, if not, it will achieve all clear

one more, the focus distance cannot reach infinity, if not, it will achieve all clear

It is not just infinity. There is a point call hyperfocus distance. Beyond this distance, all of the background will appear in focus.

Thread starter did not say if he was using a P&S camera or a DSLR. Even with aperture wide open, it is hard to get a shallow dof with a P&S, purely because the sensor is so small. On my Canon S45 I could only get shallow dof with maximum zoom, max aperture and focusing as close as possible.

Newbie here.... reading through n getting really holan
I'm very confused now....

In the previous posts:
"2. Aperture (the bigger the aperture (smaller f-stop) the less DOF you get)"

But in the website provided:
http://www.wlcastleman.com/equip/rev...background.htm

The blurring is clearing at the smaller F-stop, where the backgnd is blur w/ a focus subject.

So does more DOF (depth of field) means blur bkgnd or clear bkgnd?

Thank you

In the previous posts:

The blurring is clearing at the smaller F-stop, where the backgnd is blur w/ a focus subject.

Thank you

more depth of field means more distance in front and behind of the focal plane remains relatively sharp, in your term the answer is "more DOF (depth of field) means clear bkgnd"

by the way, can you all refrain from posting in some less commonly used abbreviations, such as e and w/ a? it makes reading and understanding difficult. thanks.

In the previous posts:

Thank you

Seem like you are really still blur...

More DOF does not mean you will get blur or clear background...DOF is actually refering to the the distance of between the focus object and the background....shallow DOF means the distance is short, in layman term, its means the forcus object is very near to the background....

TO all experience bros and sis, please correct me if i am wrong, I am still a newbie....

Wow. So complete. Thanks for sharing.

In other words:

Use tele lenses. For those using macro lenses - like 100mm macro. Even closing the aperature down to f8 can't get the whole dragonfly in focus. I was taught to use f16. Therefore in your case, open the aperture, f2.8 if possible. However, some lenses do not give a sharp image if the aperture is opened wide. So you have to find out about the lens as ortega has mentioned.

Oh, btw, the blurring in the bg is called bokeh. Ppl always like a creamy bokeh. If there are lights in the bg, they will appear as round or octagonal bright spots on the screen. The number of sides that these round lights have depend on the number of blades you have in the lens.

Good morning.

Sorry for interrupting. Was passing through this thread. And set me wondering. Is that supposed to be 'dreamy bokeh' or 'creamy bokeh'?:think:

Infinity focus will cause obj from a certain distant infront of the lens to infinity to be in-focus, not all obj leh. So obj say 3m away may not be in-focus with infinity or even hyperfocal focus distant....this must be calculated with parameters like aperture setting, lens focal length and lens focus distant.

some dreams are wet
some dreams are dark and scary

heh.. u guys ah.. dreamy -
resembling a dream; ethereal or vague.
Soothing and serene.
Inspiring delight; wonderful.

hence.. good bokeh = dreamy bokeh.

heh.. u guys ah.. dreamy -
resembling a dream; ethereal or vague.
Soothing and serene.
Inspiring delight; wonderful.

hence.. good bokeh = dreamy bokeh.