hood extender, what's this for?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jess

Dec 27, 2004
Portland, OR, USA
www.geocities.com
My 200mm lense has this extendo-hood. The hood slides out an additional inch to an inch 1/2 (50-75 mm??)

When would I use this feature?
How will affect the photos?
What will be the effect if I have it extended AND use a filter, if any affect?

Jess said:
My 200mm lense has this extendo-hood. The hood slides out an additional inch to an inch 1/2 (50-75 mm??)

When would I use this feature?
How will affect the photos?
What will be the effect if I have it extended AND use a filter, if any affect?
Lens hoods cut down on lens flare, when sunlight or extraneous light is at an oblique angle to the surface of your glass... i tend to just use it whenever i'm shooting: if the lens hood is integral to your lens, it won't affect your shots. If you're using a 3rd-party lens hood, make sure it can't be seen in the corners of your frame, as the size of the hood may intrude into your shot.
It won't affect the use of filters.
What lens is this, anyway?

Lets see, It's a 200 MM Canon FD 1:4 with largest aperature of 4. I'm a brand newbie so I don't know much more about it. Has a serial of 29984.

I got it on sale on E-bay. Appears to be in good condition. Guess I'll know for sure after I use it for a while, but for me as an absolute amateur, it's perfect. :D

Thank you for the information, guess I'll use the hood when I'm outside.

Jess said:
Lets see, It's a 200 MM Canon FD 1:4 with largest aperature of 4. I'm a brand newbie so I don't know much more about it. Has a serial of 29984.

I got it on sale on E-bay. Appears to be in good condition. Guess I'll know for sure after I use it for a while, but for me as an absolute amateur, it's perfect. :D

Thank you for the information, guess I'll use the hood when I'm outside.
haha FD lens, that's what i figured. A or F series camera body? All the new EF lenses use the flower-pot hoods that can be separated from the lens body, and integral lens hoods are really a rarity. Here's a big hello from a fellow Canon FD user (i'm using an A1 and F1n), aren't that many of us around! Let me know if you have any queries on your system and I'll try to help out as much as possible, but just to get you started, here's a webbie you might want to check out: http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/htmls/knowledge_main.htm there's an excellent, almost authoritative, section on FD canons, you won't find a better online resource for this old system elsewhere.

Yay, right on. I have an AE-1P. My dad gave it to me for christmas. It's old and not very pretty but I really love it. It's practically glued to me I take it everywhere just to hold onto it, lol.

Yeah, I found that website the first night I was out searching and I've been all over it, I printed most of it out as a 'manual' for my camera. :) Very helpful. I wouldn't have had any clue what most of the switches and buttons do if it weren't for that site.

I'll definetly keep you in mind. My understanding is that the A series were the big thing in their day. There's no shortage of old FD parts floating around on E-bay which is really nice. Although I AM having trouble getting a case for my 200MM so if you happen to have one that size that you no longer need, I might like to purchase it from you. :)

My big project right now is learning how to focus, lol.

-Jess

sorry jess, i don't use any cases for my lenses, i just bung them all into my crumpler, but lowepro and crumpler do make soft lens-cases that should fit your 200mm...
good luck on that focusing, it'll come to you!

Status
Not open for further replies.