Hong Kong to buy camera

Status
Not open for further replies.
crusher said:
I will be staying at Concourse Hotel, any nice dim sum restaurant around that region to recommend? :bsmilie: :bsmilie:
all the best dimsum chefs migrated overseas, so you should not expect find and nice one.

crusher said:
Thanks guys. International warranty for DSLR?

Most, if not all DSLR body comes with only local warranty. Glasses are otherwise.
So if you buy a body in HKG and needs to be serviced in SIN, do expect to pay a charge.

As for me, I buy almost all my gears in HKG since I am here almost 9 months per year :)
Drop me a mail, I can show you around if i am available and if you like. Cheers !

No option to convert local warranty to international? :angel:

Just checked the webby..

350D Kit @ HK$4800. @ 4.9 per SGD, that's only SG$979.60 liao. :thumbsup:
30D Body Only @ HK$8550. That's cheap @ SG$1744.90. :thumbsup:

Sianz. :cry:

:Later,

Pinoy said:
No option to convert local warranty to international? :angel:

Just checked the webby..

350D Kit @ HK$4800. @ 4.9 per SGD, that's only SG$979.60 liao. :thumbsup:
30D Body Only @ HK$8550. That's cheap @ SG$1744.90. :thumbsup:

Sianz. :cry:

Think your price is for "Water" stock, is it? your 350D kit price is inclusive of the 18-55mm lens I presume. I migrated here from HK and I also go back quite frequent. But sometimes I find it safer to get the local Singapore warrenty than the local HK one though.

Matrix97 said:
Think your price is for "Water" stock, is it? your 350D kit price is inclusive of the 18-55mm lens I presume. I migrated here from HK and I also go back quite frequent. But sometimes I find it safer to get the local Singapore warrenty than the local HK one though.
That, I have no idea. :sweatsm:

I grabbed those prices from http://www.ygdragon.net.

I happen to be going there next week ( any tips for me? :D ) so i've been looking around.

Pinoy said:

I happen to be going there next week ( any tips for me? :D ) so i've been looking around.

Mongkok is definitely the best place to spend your time. But soon you will find,
a lot of them are under the same chains. Most of them will use the low price to
do the catch but it happens before that some of the nasty shops will change the
orginal battery, or memory cards, etc. Just be careful and make sure check every
single item before you pay. Even born and grow up in HK, I also have to check around
for at least 4 to 5 shops before I make a hit.

But its a good time to go HK now, I will be going back on Sep 20 to 30. Taking a trip to HuangZhan, hope I spell correct, haha.

Enjoy.

Pinoy said:

Those prices are not 'water' stock prices as they quote from the local reputable shops as Wing Shing/Man Shing, DC Fever, Citicall etc.....

Nikon and Canon DIGITAL cameras and DIGITAL lenses (DX + EF-S) only come with local warranty. These reputable shops from the site cited above sell lenses with INTERNATIONAL warranty, no problems with them. No bargaining either, maybe you can get some freebies if you buy alot...........

I can vouch for the Wing Shing shop at Sai Yeung Choi street in Mongkok (exit E: easier and less crowded), two of the salesman at the nikon and canon side are top! (not the older man who hardly smiles :-(.......)

HS

Hong Sien

hongsien said:
Those prices are not 'water' stock prices as they quote from the local reputable shops as Wing Shing/Man Shing, DC Fever, Citicall etc.....

Nikon and Canon DIGITAL cameras and DIGITAL lenses (DX + EF-S) only come with local warranty. These reputable shops from the site cited above sell lenses with INTERNATIONAL warranty, no problems with them. No bargaining either, maybe you can get some freebies if you buy alot...........

I can vouch for the Wing Shing shop at Sai Yeung Choi street in Mongkok (exit E: easier and less crowded), two of the salesman at the nikon and canon side are top! (not the older man who hardly smiles :-(.......)

HS

Hong Sien

How come its so different from wat i read here. I recently asked a friend of mine to check out the prices in hongkong just last 2 weeks. He is a photography noob so I dunno whether he was treated as a carrot head. He said the price for 30D kit after conversion is around SGD$2.3K and around SGD$2K for body only.

My colg told me some of the cheap sets are actually stolen factory goods smuggled in from china and i can get even cheaper in shenzhen itself. So quite worried abt buying stuff overseas.. Anyway, all these are hearsay.

Static said:
How come its so different from wat i read here. I recently asked a friend of mine to check out the prices in hongkong just last 2 weeks. He is a photography noob so I dunno whether he was treated as a carrot head. He said the price for 30D kit after conversion is around SGD$2.3K and around SGD$2K for body only.

My colg told me some of the cheap sets are actually stolen factory goods smuggled in from china and i can get even cheaper in shenzhen itself. So quite worried abt buying stuff overseas.. Anyway, all these are hearsay.
I don't know about stolen goods, but these shops on the HKG list are allreputable shops, just like Harvey Norman and Best Denki here.......

Don't go to those shops along Nathan Rd. that have many electronics displayed as they are targeting tourists (just like we here in SIN city avoid buying electronics from Peoples Park or Lucky Plaza, except Lords then). Maybe your friend went there?

Don't worry about Wing Shing/Man Shing lah! I used to live in HKG-land for 2 years, and visited Wing Shing many times....

Tin Cheung is another good shop, they sell both warrantied or non-warrantied (water goods) items.....service can be improved though.

The Canon 30D body price of HKD 8550 (SGD 1796) is from DC Wave, (not in Mongkok I think, please read this thread: http://www.fotoapparatuur.nl/FeedbackShow.asp?prs_id=5138), inside SIM city there are a few more camera shops in between those computer shops and illegal software sellers, somewhere in the middle of Sai Yeung Choi street. Ask around especially those security people........for SIM city. Kowloon is very cramped, so it is difficult to find buildings there.......

Hong Sien

hongsien said:

HS

Hong Sien
Thanks for the info. Seems it might be worth getting the body only in HK and purchase the lens separately to avail of international warranty.

Wonder how much the 400D costs in HK, and when it will be available there (SG is on 08 Sept -- accordingly).

IMO, that's where Canon does it better than Nikon. With a 2 year HK warranty, I rather spend the money for the repair cost, on the trip to HK. The flight there isn't that much and even lower with budget flights coming up.

Having a local only warranty protectors the local retailers but it also forces people who prioritise budget to go for grey set. Difference can be immense.

hongsien said:
I don't know about stolen goods, but these shops on the HKG list are allreputable shops, just like Harvey Norman and Best Denki here.......

Don't go to those shops along Nathan Rd. that have many electronics displayed as they are targeting tourists (just like we here in SIN city avoid buying electronics from Peoples Park or Lucky Plaza, except Lords then). Maybe your friend went there?

Don't worry about Wing Shing/Man Shing lah! I used to live in HKG-land for 2 years, and visited Wing Shing many times....

Tin Cheung is another good shop, they sell both warrantied or non-warrantied (water goods) items.....service can be improved though.

The Canon 30D body price of HKD 8550 (SGD 1796) is from DC Wave, (not in Mongkok I think, please read this thread: http://www.fotoapparatuur.nl/FeedbackShow.asp?prs_id=5138), inside SIM city there are a few more camera shops in between those computer shops and illegal software sellers, somewhere in the middle of Sai Yeung Choi street. Ask around especially those security people........for SIM city. Kowloon is very cramped, so it is difficult to find buildings there.......

Hong Sien

Shops noted :thumbsup:
Thank u so much for the info !
Almost 300 bucks cheaper than in Singapore, even cheaper than 2nd hand sets selling here ;p

Status
Not open for further replies.