Hong Kong! Colourful or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

icer

Mar 15, 2004
West
www.icezworld.com
Hi all,

Came back from Hong Kong a few weeks ago and took some photos. Intend to have a series so keep a lookout on this thread.

Let's look at the more colourful side of Hong Kong first. :)

colourfulnight.jpg

toweratnight.jpg

colourfulHK.jpg

icer said:
Hi all,

Came back from Hong Kong a few weeks ago and took some photos. Intend to have a series so keep a lookout on this thread.

Let's look at the more colourful side of Hong Kong first. :)
Nice photos! You used Shutter Priority?

Honestly,

I did not change the colours with PS. It was like that when I took the photos.

Don, I used manual mode. Shutter speed of about 5-7 secs.

Hey icer, nice shots! :D

Exposure got some problem for all the shots, but it works for me, especially the first one. For that picture also, do crop the picture a little bit, cos the red cast at the foreground at the right side is a tat distracting. And, err... though we often emphasis on the golden ratio thingie, think you'd just gotten away with murder for that shot!! :bsmilie:

Second shot is decent, but over-exposed... so much so that the details of the buildings are lost!

Third shot is err... the same as the second shot hor? Anyway, landscape doesn't work for me. Try portrait crop in this case, focusing on the few buildings in the middle with their nice reflection!

Just some remarks hor... long time never remark liao, so a bit rusty also huh. So don't kill me if I get on your nerve!! :bsmilie:

#1 is really really nice! :thumbsup:
the two reflections on the sides, somehow make a nice border somewhat also

rayfoo said:
#1 is really really nice! :thumbsup:
the two reflections on the sides, somehow make a nice border somewhat also

I have problem with left and right man... :what:

Anyway, the reflection on the left side is okay, since you can see the building as well as the reflection... the one of the right don't work, cos it's a reflection of a building that isn't in the picture. Leave the viewer guessing how it should be, and taking the attention away from things that one ought to focus on in the picture, namely the buildings aligning in the middle of the picture, as well as appreciating the cloud overhanging, and the nice colour cast reflections.

Thanks Cheat and Rayfoo,

You all are so detailed. I din notice the red reflection on the right actually.

As for #2 and #3, there is this dillemma. It's either over exposure for the lightings part and allow you to see some details of the buildings or just right for the lightings but under exposed for the building details.

Which one you prefer?

I prefer to over the lightings so that details of the buildings can be seen. :)

Good shots you have!!! Keep it up! :bsmilie:

icer said:
Thanks Cheat and Rayfoo,

You all are so detailed. I din notice the red reflection on the right actually.

As for #2 and #3, there is this dillemma. It's either over exposure for the lightings part and allow you to see some details of the buildings or just right for the lightings but under exposed for the building details.

Which one you prefer?

I prefer to over the lightings so that details of the buildings can be seen. :)

I prefer #2 to #3, for my preferences of portrait for landscape with very strong vertical dimensions (both building and the reflection cuts the picture vertically). Yes, it's over-exposed... but as I was saying initially, I could live with that! :bsmilie:

Oh! Even your #1 is overexposed hor... notice that in the background, you will see lights coming from some hills or something... tat distracting also!! :D

Cheat, I have some not so over version of #2 which I tried using a faster speed. Will post them later. :)

Thanks Stboy also. Your comments are encouraging! I will keep on learning.

Hi all,

Are these better?

For #1, I took this using a faster speed and for #2, I play with the contrast and make it less exposed.

HKnight.jpg

tower2.jpg

Seems out of focus to me leh. Quite soft. Did you use manual focus and set to Infinity? Cause some camera simply can't focus these kind of night shots (my A80 is an example..... :sweat: )

I used Auto Focus. Me newbie mah.

Will try the manual focus next time. Thanks. :)

hi icer,

u have captured the colours well.... i like the 1st pic the best. :thumbsup:

33520382.jpg

Thanks all.

Here is the second part of the series. Still quite colourful.

Nightstreetcopy.jpg

advertisingpanel.jpg

philip827 said:
Very nice colours... like pic #1 too...
HongKong... such a famaliar place :D

Thanks. You from Hong Kong.............? I got more "less colourful" photos to be posted here. So, do keep a lookout.

Just some newbie photos. :)

icer said:
Thanks all.

Here is the second part of the series. Still quite colourful.

Nightstreetcopy.jpg

advertisingpanel.jpg

Nicely focused and nice exposure, with no apparent lost of details like your earlier photos on landscape.
However, I can't figure out what you're trying to say. Maybe I'm just plain stupid or slow lor... :think:

Status
Not open for further replies.