Hong Kong Camera Gears Shopping Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.
Indeed, CS Tan's post is really informative and useful. Great post IMHO.

And I'm grateful to you for pointing me in the right direction. Cheers :)

is it foolhardy to get eneloops in hong kong?

if not, can please recommend places in HK to buy genuine eneloops from?

thank you!

answering my own question since i went to HK already.

eneloops along sai yeong choi st are mostly the old 1,000 cycles one.

check out apliu street, outside 197 apliu street (see CS Tan's guide). road side stall selling eneloops at HKD80 for 04x AA. further down the road, another road side stall selling for HKD80 as well.

2-hour eneloop charger at HKD120 (bundled with 04x AA = HKD200). 8-hour eneloop charger bundled with 04x AA is HKD150. no eneloopies spotted.

this is versus the HKD88-96 you'll pay in brick and mortar shops.

the street prices posted on rolandlim's wordpress is pretty reliable. besides you can always pm him to quote the latest prices for the gears you want. generally, it wuld be a better idea to change your cash here, and pay there in cash to avoid the credit card charge of addition 2-4%.

Just received an email from Canon HK confirming that all lenses manufactured after 1 October 2010 will be entitle to one year local warranty. Here is the email from Canon HK:

[FONT=&quot]Dear Mr. Tan,

Thank you for your inquiry on 30/9/2010 and choosing our product. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]With regards to your warranty inquiry, all lenses manufactured after 1 October 2010 were entitled to have one year local warranty. Since we mainly would like to standardize the warranty system with all existing camera products. Thus, there is no further announcement on this case. We thank you for your understanding and patience on this case.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Once again, we extend our sincere thanks for your continuous support.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]For any other inquiries or assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us again!

You are cordially invited to conduct a survey to express your opinion about standard of e-mail response services, please click here:
http://www2.canon.com.hk/survey/en/...c&qreEmail=colbert@pobox.com&qreDate=20100930

Best Regards,
Anita Tseng
Call Centre Department
CII Domestic Customer Service Division
Canon Hongkong Company Limited
Tel:(852) 3191 2333
Fax:(852) 2301 1357
URL: http://www.canon.com.hk
mailto:canon_callcentre@chk.canon.com.hk[/FONT]

Hi Mr Tan,

Thank you.

cheers,

Hi, CS Tan or others who have deal with Echo Photo & Audio or Tin Cheung stores, I wanna ask whether their personnel or salesperson there understand English?
Cos My mandarin is very bad. Any benefits of speaking Mandarin with them to get discount?:)

And anyone knows if they will offer international warranty for 3rd party lenses like Sigma or Tamron?

TIA:)

Hi, CS Tan or others who have deal with Echo Photo & Audio or Tin Cheung stores, I wanna ask whether their personnel or salesperson there understand English?
Cos My mandarin is very bad. Any benefits of speaking Mandarin with them to get discount?:)

And anyone knows if they will offer international warranty for 3rd party lenses like Sigma or Tamron?

hi!

i'm just back from HK. been to most of the shops recommended by CS Tan... tin cheung, wing shing, man shing folks are more comfortable with Chinese, but they have lots of staff there so should be able to get someone english speaking to attend to you. Mr Andrew Yip in Echo photo speaks good english so don't worry. i'm not sure about getting a discount for speaking mandarin, i personally feel it's the same as compared to speaking english. perhaps if you speak cantonese and sound local you might be able to get a better price...

As for international warranty for Sigma, they do offer it, sometimes it will involve paying a higher price compared to the local warranty or grey sets. do read up CS Tan's guide and Roland Lim's guide (the links are posted a few threads up) for good info!

good luck shopping!

You should not have problem finding English speaking sales in most of the stores. Although they might have heavy HK English accent, you should still be able to communicate with them.

Cantonese is the main Chinese dialect spoken here but with a lot of main land tourists coming to HK, most of the sales will be able to speak Mandarin as well. For the reputable stores, you should not have to worry about getting higher quotes from them.

But the key is to know how much is the current market price. Go to www.price.com.hk to get a general idea of the items that you are planning to buy before coming to HK will help avoid getting rip off.

Hey, thanks for the update on the warranty. I was planning on going to TC this Sunday immediately after arriving. See what lens they have with intl warranty. :think:

You have good timing. As far as I know, most of the Canon lenses are still on old stock so this is probably the last chance to get an International Warranty card in the box.

Enjoy your stay here in HK.

u can forget about getting discounts in Tin Cheung.

price.hk quotes 7D (water good) as low as 9850 HKD leh. but echo (according to roland lim), only 10800...

omg is it safe to get from price.hk?

it's like a diff of $150 leh.

price.hk quotes 7D (water good) as low as 9850 HKD leh. but echo (according to roland lim), only 10800...

omg is it safe to get from price.hk?

it's like a diff of $150 leh.
I think there is a need to clarify. www.price.com.hk is not a website that sells camera stuff. It is just a database that collects info supplied by people who has bought camera stuff. People report their purchase price and the place they bought from and share it in price.com.hk. There are also camera shops that post their best price on this website. For those posts, you will notice there is a shop name with detail address and contact info within the post.

I think there is a need to clarify. www.price.com.hk is not a website that sells camera stuff. It is just a database that collects info supplied by people who has bought camera stuff. People report their purchase price and the place they bought from and share it in price.com.hk. There are also camera shops that post their best price on this website. For those posts, you will notice there is a shop name with detail address and contact info within the post.

also pls see date of the price, it may be an old price.

Hi guys,

I'm in macau right now, 2 days ago i'm hunting for lens and other stuff at HK

u can forget about getting discounts in Tin Cheung.

yes but i find that their price is cheap(i've check around :D), they quote me HKD 3450 for sigma 24-70 DG MACRO and HKD 1750 for sigma flash 530 super ,also u might wanna check win shing they give good price too

Echo all the uncles can speak english, just got my tamron 28-75 2 days ago there for HKD 2800 with 1 years international warranty(the uncles will stamp ur receipt), they say that most of the canon stuff is almost out of stock so might wanna be fast to purchase all those canon stuff before they're replaced with the new stock(no international warranty).

i'll be back to hunt for flash and some accesory tmrw at mongkok, will update my findings when i'm back at sg or whenever i can find free internet access like today, cheers :D

i compared their price with CitiCall (at Sim City, that biggest branch in the building) and find them cheaper, they also give me a small discount by rounding down to the nearest dollar for me. And they also dun charge extra for CC payments. :)

Does anybody knows about warranty for Tokina Lens? Does it come with international warranty and do shops there carry 12-24mm? TIA

Does anybody knows about warranty for Tokina Lens? Does it come with international warranty and do shops there carry 12-24mm? TIA

I contacted CP (Tokina distributor in SG) before, they recognise international warrranty from oversea but need to pay service charge when u sent your lens to claim warranty, i forgot how much already.

Status
Not open for further replies.