Hong Kong Camera Gears Shopping Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.
:bsmilie:
If I'm not mistaken, Tokina 11-16 is out of stock everywhere in HK. At least that was the case when I went there last May. The guy at Tin Cheung told me the 11-16 is out of stock nationwide. I ended up getting my tokina 11-16 in Jakarta for Rp. 5.65 million (S$840). I doubt you can get the lens at that price even in HK. And it comes with 1 yr warranty from the distributor. But that price was the special price only for last month, and I believe the lens is sold out now. I guess I was lucky.

Btw I'm in HK right now and I got myself a very nice camera bag, Herringbone, from Tin Cheung. The price is a lot lower than the one posted on their website. But it's very, very hard to bargain at Tin Cheung. I've bought many stuff from them before, and I was never really successful in bargaining.

My fren helped me get the tokina 11-16 for SGD80x onli leh ard june/jul period with 2 yr international warranty, but they say 1 yr onli, however the card state 2 yrs. Hong kong is still a lens shopping paradise for us singaporean:thumbsup:

is it foolhardy to get eneloops in hong kong?

if not, can please recommend places in HK to buy genuine eneloops from?

thank you!

I bought from Echo before, never have a chance to meet Mr. Yip (boss) as he was off that day. However, their price is quite fair/reasonable and cheaper than Tin Chueng, Wing Sheng, Man Sheng. Maybe it is a small shop, thus can give better price.:thumbsup:

can pay by CC at echo, since they are a small shop?

Anyone bought the afs85f1.4G and 35L recently? Care to share price and location as I will be in hk in a few weeks time to shop for this 2 lenses. Thanks

kimberley street near nathan street....theres a huge bunch of af&mf lenses in that building

Accorrding to the salesman there, after Oct, all new stocks will come without international warranty.

Hi,

Urrggghhhh... there goes my chance of saving some money! Wanted to buy
1) EF 100mm f2.8 Macro
2) EF 70-200mm f4 L IS

Will be in HK in Dec, hope there are still some leftover stocks with the green international warranty card.

Mr Tan, could you please help to confirm this, that all new stocks will not have international warranty?
Thanks alot

cheers,

That's what I heard from talking to the sales people in camera stores here. They mentioned that Canon HK has informed them of the change in late August. I have just sent out an inquiry to Canon HK this afternoon. Will update everyone when I hear from them.

Hi CS Tan,

I will be transiting at HK Intl Airport with 4 hours before my next flight. Do you think i will have enough time to go downtown and grap a lens? I'm thinking of doing that, but heard from my friends that custom clearance at HK Airport is between 30 - 45 mintues due to the large crowd. What do you think?

Hi CS Tan,

I will be transiting at HK Intl Airport with 4 hours before my next flight. Do you think i will have enough time to go downtown and grap a lens? I'm thinking of doing that, but heard from my friends that custom clearance at HK Airport is between 30 - 45 mintues due to the large crowd. What do you think?
The HK airport is quite far away from city. It takes 35 min. by Airport Express (train) to get to Kowloon station. However, to go to places like Mongkok, you will need to get onto the MTR and that might take at least another 30 min. Take into account the return trip, you will already spent more than an hour on transportation. Give you an hour to get your lens, that will only leave you one hour to go through the airport security and immigration. Without any room for delay, 4 hours might be too short.

Unless you are very familiar with the transportation and the place you want to visit. I think 4 hours transit time is not enough. Six hours will be more realistic.

Hi,

Urrggghhhh... there goes my chance of saving some money! Wanted to buy
1) EF 100mm f2.8 Macro
2) EF 70-200mm f4 L IS

Will be in HK in Dec, hope there are still some leftover stocks with the green international warranty card.

Mr Tan, could you please help to confirm this, that all new stocks will not have international warranty?
Thanks alot

cheers,
Just received an email from Canon HK confirming that all lenses manufactured after 1 October 2010 will be entitle to one year local warranty. Here is the email from Canon HK:

[FONT=&quot]Dear Mr. Tan,

Thank you for your inquiry on 30/9/2010 and choosing our product. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]With regards to your warranty inquiry, all lenses manufactured after 1 October 2010 were entitled to have one year local warranty. Since we mainly would like to standardize the warranty system with all existing camera products. Thus, there is no further announcement on this case. We thank you for your understanding and patience on this case.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Once again, we extend our sincere thanks for your continuous support.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]For any other inquiries or assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us again!

You are cordially invited to conduct a survey to express your opinion about standard of e-mail response services, please click here:
http://www2.canon.com.hk/survey/en/...c&qreEmail=colbert@pobox.com&qreDate=20100930

Best Regards,
Anita Tseng
Call Centre Department
CII Domestic Customer Service Division
Canon Hongkong Company Limited
Tel:(852) 3191 2333
Fax:(852) 2301 1357
URL: http://www.canon.com.hk
mailto:canon_callcentre@chk.canon.com.hk[/FONT]

Just received an email from Canon HK confirming that all lenses manufactured after 1 October 2010 will be entitle to one year local warranty. Here is the email from Canon HK:

[FONT=&quot]Dear Mr. Tan,

Thank you for your inquiry on 30/9/2010 and choosing our product. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]With regards to your warranty inquiry, all lenses manufactured after 1 October 2010 were entitled to have one year local warranty. Since we mainly would like to standardize the warranty system with all existing camera products. Thus, there is no further announcement on this case. We thank you for your understanding and patience on this case.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Once again, we extend our sincere thanks for your continuous support.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]For any other inquiries or assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us again!

You are cordially invited to conduct a survey to express your opinion about standard of e-mail response services, please click here:
http://www2.canon.com.hk/survey/en/...c&qreEmail=colbert@pobox.com&qreDate=20100930

Best Regards,
Anita Tseng
Call Centre Department
CII Domestic Customer Service Division
Canon Hongkong Company Limited
Tel:(852) 3191 2333
Fax:(852) 2301 1357
URL: http://www.canon.com.hk
mailto:canon_callcentre@chk.canon.com.hk[/FONT]

I think they will still make exceptions for people in their professional services membership or something... if not the professionals will be very unhappy with this decision.

Thank you very much for your advices... Will spend the time shopping at the airport instead. Cheers~~:)

The HK airport is quite far away from city. It takes 35 min. by Airport Express (train) to get to Kowloon station. However, to go to places like Mongkok, you will need to get onto the MTR and that might take at least another 30 min. Take into account the return trip, you will already spent more than an hour on transportation. Give you an hour to get your lens, that will only leave you one hour to go through the airport security and immigration. Without any room for delay, 4 hours might be too short.

Unless you are very familiar with the transportation and the place you want to visit. I think 4 hours transit time is not enough. Six hours will be more realistic.

There nothing much to shop in HKG airport anyway. :cry:

Hi CS Tan, thanks for posting such a great link, can't express my appreciation enough. :D
I will be dropping by HK this month on 25th, hope I can still get some lens (macro) with international warranty. Keeping fingers X on this. :sweat:

Hi folks,

Anyone know what are the reliable spots in Hong Kong where I can browse/shop for camera gear? Any suggestions would be appreciated :)

Cheers,
TS

PS. I'm a Canon user though I'm not sure it makes much of a difference :)

Last edited:
You're a life-saver! Thanks :)

that's too much, the most i save is your money and time... not your life:bsmilie:

but the credit should go to CS Tan, he's the one who took the time and effort to write all those information. I merely copied and pasted the link:)

Status
Not open for further replies.