Honeymoon in Taiwan

Desmond Chua

Sep 6, 2011
Hi all gurus,

I need some suggestions for my Honeymoon trip in the month of November. As this is our first time travelling to Taiwan, we agreed to be "Spontaneous/Daring" to go on our own for an F&E tour. Our trip will be around 5 days, we will be visiting Beitou, Taipei Zoo and the shopping areas (e.g.: Taipei 101, Night shopping market). Anyone can suggest any nice places to go or take photographs?

Equipments with me
  • EOS 550D
  • 18 - 55mm Kit Lens
  • 55 - 250mm IS Lens
  • Spare battery and memory cards
Any help/opinions would be greatly appreciated! :D

Thanks!

Take a small basic kit. It is your honeymoon and there will be other more important things.

I suggest Jiu Fen (九份). It's up in the mountain so you can get very nice bird eyes view and the shops there will be interesting to shoot at.
You need to take a short train ride to Rui Fang (Hope I spell correctly) and change to cab to go up the mountian.

Hi all gurus,

I need some suggestions for my Honeymoon trip in the month of November. As this is our first time travelling to Taiwan, we agreed to be "Spontaneous/Daring" to go on our own for an F&E tour. Our trip will be around 5 days, we will be visiting Beitou, Taipei Zoo and the shopping areas (e.g.: Taipei 101, Night shopping market). Anyone can suggest any nice places to go or take photographs?

Equipments with me
  • EOS 550D
  • 18 - 55mm Kit Lens
  • 55 - 250mm IS Lens

Thanks!

Is your wife a photographer? If not, suggest to cater to her requirements and balance out the holiday....

If you are mainly around Taipei, and do not wish to make day trips out of the city, these are what I understand to be the more accessible scenic locations that I can think of:

Dan Shui Harbour at sunset
Taipei 101 from one of the mountains, think Elephant Mountain and Lion Mountain offer good views if I do not remember wrong, do note that good view requires trekking up the mountain, but the paths are moderate/easy in terms of difficulty
Taipei 101 nearby there is a pedestrian bridge which gives you a good view of traffic trails + 101

For day trips, there is:

Yeh Liu Geopark - chockful of tourists though
Various parts of the Taiwan Coast in the Jiufen/Jinshan/Ruifang area, e.g. Gui Hou Harbour, Quan Tou (Fist) Rock are some more noteable locations
Jiu Fen township itself

You can google for "Taipei Taxi Driver" to find out reviews of some guides in Taipei to bring you out for day trip out of Taipei (in Taipei don't need la, so easy)... Day trip ~ 3500 TWD for 2 IIRC... Meeky Yang comes highly recommended, can find his contact + handphone number easily enough on Tripadvisor.

Hope this helps.

I suggest Jiu Fen (九份). It's up in the mountain so you can get very nice bird eyes view and the shops there will be interesting to shoot at.
You need to take a short train ride to Rui Fang (Hope I spell correctly) and change to cab to go up the mountian.

book a cab that cover 野柳,十份天灯,十份瀑布,九份,黄金瀑布. so that u have a driver n u can bring along tripod and put stuff u bought along the way as well... my recent trip in march we booked a cab as well, cost about 3200-3500NT for a day.
other places u can go walk romantically is 淡水 and 渔人码头.

travel light and enjoy the honeymoon.

Hi all gurus,

Equipments with me
  • EOS 550D
  • 18 - 55mm Kit Lens
  • 55 - 250mm IS Lens

Thanks!

Got bring along your charger,flashlight.In case,you want to shoot at night.
How many memor card are you bringing.

Thank you to those people who have voiced out their opinions. :)

Take a small basic kit. It is your honeymoon and there will be other more important things.

Definitely will enjoy my honeymoon.. but i would like to have some nice photographs for memories..

Hmm.. can consider.. but other than mountain trekking and nice scenery, is there anything else over there?

Is your wife a photographer? If not, suggest to cater to her requirements and balance out the holiday....

If you are mainly around Taipei, and do not wish to make day trips out of the city, these are what I understand to be the more accessible scenic locations that I can think of:

Dan Shui Harbour at sunset
Taipei 101 from one of the mountains, think Elephant Mountain and Lion Mountain offer good views if I do not remember wrong, do note that good view requires trekking up the mountain, but the paths are moderate/easy in terms of difficulty
Taipei 101 nearby there is a pedestrian bridge which gives you a good view of traffic trails + 101

For day trips, there is:

Various parts of the Taiwan Coast in the Jiufen/Jinshan/Ruifang area, e.g. Gui Hou Harbour, Quan Tou (Fist) Rock are some more noteable locations
Jiu Fen township itself

You can google for "Taipei Taxi Driver" to find out reviews of some guides in Taipei to bring you out for day trip out of Taipei (in Taipei don't need la, so easy)... Day trip ~ 3500 TWD for 2 IIRC... Meeky Yang comes highly recommended, can find his contact + handphone number easily enough on Tripadvisor.

Hope this helps.

My wife is not a photographer.. yet. She is interested in photography but have not get her camera yet. So she is okay with me taking photographs as long as i go to her places that she want to visit. :bsmilie:

Dan Shui Harbour at sunset - Roughly what time is their sunset over there?

Taipei 101 from one of the mountains, think Elephant Mountain and Lion Mountain offer good views if I do not remember wrong, do note that good view requires trekking up the mountain, but the paths are moderate/easy in terms of difficulty - can consider. My wife loves trekking just for nice scenery.

Taipei 101 nearby there is a pedestrian bridge which gives you a good view of traffic trails + 101 - okie.. will take note..

Jiu Fen township itself - okay will take note and discuss with my wife whether she wants to go anot :D

You can google for "Taipei Taxi Driver" to find out reviews of some guides in Taipei to bring you out for day trip out of Taipei (in Taipei don't need la, so easy)... Day trip ~ 3500 TWD for 2 IIRC... Meeky Yang comes highly recommended, can find his contact + handphone number easily enough on Tripadvisor. - Hmm will lookup on the tours they are providing.. but to hire a taxi driver.. might not do it as we prefer to walk ourselves.. but thanks for telling me :D

book a cab that cover 野柳,十份天灯,十份瀑布,九份,黄金瀑布. so that u have a driver n u can bring along tripod and put stuff u bought along the way as well... my recent trip in march we booked a cab as well, cost about 3200-3500NT for a day.
other places u can go walk romantically is 淡水 and 渔人码头.

travel light and enjoy the honeymoon.

Hmm.. like what i reply to edutilos- above.. we prefer to walk ourselves but will take note of those places that you recommended..

Got bring along your charger,flashlight.In case,you want to shoot at night.
How many memor card are you bringing.

Definitely will bring mine charger.. if not later no batt.. die.. no more photos.. :nono:
i have not get a flashlight yet.. as i have just recently started on Photography.. so very inexperiences photographer over here.. need some tutorial.. haha..
i might bring quite afew memory cards.. but exact amount not confirm yet.. but definitely will bring more than 1

Once again thanks everyone for their opinions but of course keep those comments coming in so i can have more ideas ~

Cheers!

Other than those mentioned,

Wulai is a nice place too. Its a bus ride from Xindian metro.

And you are right, elephant hill offers a nice view of Taipei 101. there is a viewing deck outside a temple. There is no need to climb to the peak if the view is what you are after.

If you are visiting the northern coast, booking a taxi driver is highly recommended because the frequency of bus service along northern coast is about 30 mins. Meeky Yang is highly recommended.

If you want to try something different, try Su-ao Cold Spring. Its in Yilan county. FYI there is only 2 cold springs in the world. 1 in Italy and 1 in Taiwan. :D

I have been to Taipei thrice, mainly for food and short respite :p
But the above mentioned places are lovely, such as Ye Liu, Jiu Fen, Dan shui in evening, Yangmingshan ( can get lost ), Beitou and XinBeitou area has alot of onsen that Singaporeans love to frequent, and may not be cheap. I love their night markets

Wulai is lovely as well, remember to try their local delicacies. Wulai area has free onsen bath along the banks of the cold river which me and my wife tried before. Very nice. Remember to ask the locals :)

** getting more obsessed with photo taking can be a little tricky when travelling with gf/wife, especially if they are not into it. But remember to to take more photos of u and ur wife together.

Congrats

Ryan

You can take the bus from across the street at RuiFang. It will take you right to JinGuaShi. It will stop right in front of the main entrance to 九份 Old Street.
Or, if you want to soak in a bit of the Taipei outskirts, you can actually take the bus straight out from Taipei. It takes about an 70+ min journey. ( If my memory is correct)

九份 is great if you like catching the sunrise and sunset. Its teahouses are great for chilling while the sun sets.

After the sunset, you can catch a cab right from the doorstep and take a 15-20min ride to JiLong night market. In my opinion, the best in the Taipei area I've been to.

For night time, the scenary at YangMing Shan is pretty nice too. But would suggest to check for local tours or suggestions for the best spots. Not that easy to access without transport. Do note that.

Hi Desmond, it's not really trekking. Just take the cab up there. You get to shop and eat there. There also sell very nice 鸡蛋皮蛋 :)

To get a good view of Taipei 101, I suggest to hike up elephant mountain. That is the nearest mountain from 101. You can take a cab to the mountain entrance at Xinyi road 5th street.

You can visit to Miramar Ferris Wheel.

From the Taipei zoo. Take the cable car up the Mao kong mountain. Enjoy the night view of city from the mountain and enjoy afternoon tea over there.

Other than those mentioned,

Wulai is a nice place too. Its a bus ride from Xindian metro.

And you are right, elephant hill offers a nice view of Taipei 101. there is a viewing deck outside a temple. There is no need to climb to the peak if the view is what you are after.

If you are visiting the northern coast, booking a taxi driver is highly recommended because the frequency of bus service along northern coast is about 30 mins. Meeky Yang is highly recommended.

If you want to try something different, try Su-ao Cold Spring. Its in Yilan county. FYI there is only 2 cold springs in the world. 1 in Italy and 1 in Taiwan. :D

Didnt know the bus service is that long.. -_-.. wow.. you also recommend Meeky Yang... this guy must be really very good =D
Might try the Su-ao Cold Spring another time.. my wife-to-be scared not enough time to travel so many places...

I have been to Taipei thrice, mainly for food and short respite :p
But the above mentioned places are lovely, such as Ye Liu, Jiu Fen, Dan shui in evening, Yangmingshan ( can get lost ), Beitou and XinBeitou area has alot of onsen that Singaporeans love to frequent, and may not be cheap. I love their night markets

Wulai is lovely as well, remember to try their local delicacies. Wulai area has free onsen bath along the banks of the cold river which me and my wife tried before. Very nice. Remember to ask the locals :)

** getting more obsessed with photo taking can be a little tricky when travelling with gf/wife, especially if they are not into it. But remember to to take more photos of u and ur wife together.

Congrats

Ryan

Do i sound very obsessed with photo taking ? Maybe i need to rephrase my question properly next time.. :bsmilie:
I just want to find a good/nice location or scenery to take some photographs with my wife-to-be... :D

Hi Desmond, it's not really trekking. Just take the cab up there. You get to shop and eat there. There also sell very nice 鸡蛋皮蛋 :)

Okie dokie ntheni.. will take note =D

To get a good view of Taipei 101, I suggest to hike up elephant mountain. That is the nearest mountain from 101. You can take a cab to the mountain entrance at Xinyi road 5th street.

You can visit to Miramar Ferris Wheel.

From the Taipei zoo. Take the cable car up the Mao kong mountain. Enjoy the night view of city from the mountain and enjoy afternoon tea over there.

How do i get to the Ferris Wheel ? Is it easy accessible by bus or MRT ?
Roughly how much is the cable car trip?