Home Studio?

Status
Not open for further replies.

grainpixel

Oct 10, 2006
www.pbase.com
Hi Guys,

Anyone using the simple studio lights w/ umbrella from Tago Tech?

Any reviews or photos taken with it?

Thanks!

Hello..anyone?
just wanna try out something simple, and i do understood the constrains of cheaper lights/equipments.

I think theirs are continuous lighting. If you're looking for affordable equipment, I'd suggest looking at the Jinbei Delicacy Kit which is less than $500 and comes with three 180w/s monolights complete with stands and soft boxes.

They should be available at the Mass Order section of this forum.

i am using this set.. hee... under utalise. no time to use.. only used it for a few times

Can you post the result for us?

I'm quite interesting about how to set up a low cost home studio so that I can take some studio like photos for my kids.

TIA.

Results? Hard to gauge dude from looking at photos. Unlike lenses, cameras where you can check for sharpness, noise etc., you can't check the 'quality' of monolights by looking at a photo. The settings you use in conjunction with your camera settings will affect the way the picture looks. The modifier used will also effect. Not mentioning the angle of your strobe too... the list goes on. But if there's a way, do share with me.

All I can share is that the built is plasticy and each monolight is 180w/s, has standard features you need from a monolight including cell sync and model lamp. For less than $500, the kit is a good one for any one from amateur to even professionals looking for extra spare lights or even as their main. Seriously, I mean, just like cameras and lenses, it's all about how you make use of what you have to create that picture of yours. If you're looking just to have fun, this kit should be a good start, in fact, some of us are even using our flashguns as external lighting (off-shoe) but that's somewhat a different thing – strobing, google it. What you'll prolly need also, are decent light stands, coupled with some seamless paper backdrops or muslins if you like and it should keep you busy for awhile. Sky is the limit for photography, with lighting equipment, maybe the universe is.

The next affordable one is Elinchrom D-Lite Kit which will set you back about $1,200.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing. Rendition.

Could you shed some more about using flashgun as external lighting. I really plan to buy 1 or 2 second hand third party flashgun(costing consideration :bsmilie:) to set up lighting. I use canon camera. If the flashgun don't have slave function. What should I do to synchronize the two flashes?

Thanks in advance.

There're a couple of affordable options:

Speedlite Transmitter - works via InfraRed to trigger Canon flashes (am not sure about Metz Canon compatible flashgun). You can use ETTL mode wirelessly too but with limitation of distance and line-of-sight. The Transmitter has to be able to 'see' the flashes though it's said in indoors the IR rays can bounce over the wall.

Radio Triggers (i.e. PT-04TM, Cactus, Skyports - google them) - triggers monolights, and flashguns by the use of either a PC-PC Sync Cable or by mounting directly on the receiver (PT-04, Cactus). Because these are transmitted using radio signal, it eliminates limitation of line-of-sight and working distance is relatively farther. However, ETTL will not work unless you get the pretty expensive FlexTTL and MiniTTL from PocketWizard. That said, if you're one who have worked with lighting equipment, you'd know manual is far easier, consistent and faster especially in controlled environment (i.e. your house studio).

I don't know how much the affordable flashguns like Vivitars are but things like Metz or Canon's latest guns are in the $600 region which if you're looking into getting monolights, well, as mentioned, the Jinbei kit is available for under $500. Depends la....

I think theirs are continuous lighting. If you're looking for affordable equipment, I'd suggest looking at the Jinbei Delicacy Kit which is less than $500 and comes with three 180w/s monolights complete with stands and soft boxes.

They should be available at the Mass Order section of this forum.

Agree with rendition.. I got the Delicacy kit a while back & tried to figure out different lighting techniques etc. The output & light modifiers provided are sufficient for 3/4 shots at most, but good to start off with. After a while, I bought 2 x 400W Jinbei lights & more light modifiers (softbox, barndoor, snoot etc) which are able to give me the output for more full-body shots. The Delicacy kit still comes in handy as additional lights if I want to do high key stuff or if I want to throw light on certain props like bags, or as an accent or fill light.

I would say, go ahead & get it... it's a good start for a home studio :) :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Sounds good. I will check it out too!
Thanks for the info, guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.