Home studio advice

amagrawal

Nov 1, 2012
Singapore
Hi Guys and Gurus,

I have used the 600ex rt at home and it generally casts a lot of shadows even if i bounce it.

What i want is setup a small backdrop with umbrella and light.

I need your suggestions to go for it and any recommended gear.

Regards,
Arpit

If you plan to use speedlites, get three of them at least. Yong Nuos are pretty cheap. Get 3 lightstands and 2 bounce umbrellas for your backdrop and remote triggers to trigger off your speedlites. One softbox that fits on your 600ex. You are ready to shoot portraits.

if you want to invest smarter get three cheap strobes maybe around 400w each with battery or wired options. Try this place: http://www.manda-sg.com/

cheers,
Caleb
www.calebgladys.com

Yes YongNuo is very cheap. When shooting in studio I always in Manual mode flash, that's why I choose YN-560 mkIII with builtin radio receiver. So you don't need to put flash above the receiver and risking to fall from lightstand. At the time I bought there is no YN-560 mkIV. I'm using YN-560TX as controller, and several people who joining shoot only using RF-602 or RF-603 transmitter. These are cheaper but cannot control power or group. Just trigger.

Speedlite always suffer because their power limitation, comparing to studio flash. But if shooting inside studio I guess it is enough. And if you using newly camera such as Sony A7s or A7s mkII, you get better high-ISO condition. Less noise. But still cannot fight the sunlight. Shooting on-sets containing windows on mid-day, sometime I need much powerful flash. I choose Phottix Indra 360, or Ranger Quadra. These flash is not cheap, but if you can afford two-or-three flash as gaining power (I put all the flash inside one umbrella) then you can buy Indra. 360wattseconds is more than enough.

Last time I check on Manda there is Connonmark 400 which the power almost the same as Ranger Quadra and Indra360. But lots cheaper. I only tried inside the store and I found it good too.

Hi Guys and Gurus,

I have used the 600ex rt at home and it generally casts a lot of shadows even if i bounce it.

What i want is setup a small backdrop with umbrella and light.

I need your suggestions to go for it and any recommended gear.

Regards,
Arpit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enK2hbSN6hQ
How big is your item you want to shoot?
Maybe this video might help. Whatch at 8mins onwards :)

Thanks a lot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk