HOKKAIDO [A Travelogue] - limwhow & SereneXMM

NICE travelogue. Camping here too. Brings back nice memories from our family trip. :D

Waaaa lots of people camping here... including me. ;)

Hi limwhow,

its really heartwarming to see threads like yours once in a while. Beyond every picture you have captured speaks volumes of the bond you share with your family and how closely knitted all of you are.

Hats off to not only the amazing write up you have potrayed but more so, you examplify how a family unit should be.

好 :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Hi your photo is great and your description is equal, after going through the first group of picture I gradually feel colder and also can feel like I was there following you guys for a snowmobile ride, my heart was like pumping with excitement then oops reading clubsnap nia nia, nice and thanks for bringing me along into this trip.:thumbsup:

pansclub, why thank you very much for your compliments.
I welcome you whole-hearted to follow our family on this trip for more is to come.
And cold? Well, haha... it wasn't the coldest that day in Sapporo for colder weather was to come in the days after.

great shots and informative "narration" for viewers!
btw, am also thinking of getting a GPS for travel.

what model are u using and the indicative price if possible.
thanks yall. :)
iBishop, many thanks for your encouragement!
I am using a Garmin Oregon 450 GPS for trekking (and normal walking).
It is good for I good download Google Map overlays in both map or satellite map form and paste it into the Worldwide map that already came with it.
And what is more important, a set of 2 AA size battery would last 10 hours.
A vehicular GPS (those that we use in the cars) are good. But the battery don't last more than 1-2 hours so these are not good for walking trips at all.
I have PM-ed you.

FINALLY it is here! :) I am camping here, for the warmth of the family togetherness, for the nice scenary captured through great photography, for the laughter and information a humourous and well recorded travelogue this will bring :)

SK1968 yah, SK1968.
Thank you for your praises lah!
Nice scenery yes, great photography I dare not say lah... hahaha...
But it's always great to have you on board, Brother!

Day 2: Sappro - Odori Christmas Lightup & Susukino

The Grandmother had hoped to see Snow Festival ice carvings.
But she knew that December was not the time for it yet.
But the lightup was kind of a consolation for her, for it was a special scene very different from what we have at home.

5436976699_0e9193c720_b.jpg

This being the first time for us, it was good enough for all of us.
And I am sure the children were as in awe as I was.

5437603648_f79f9a694f_z.jpg

... It was only about 5pm but the sky was so dark already.
Made every one felt just like having dinner.
And walked down south towards Susukino we did...

5437009059_b6c9840dfb_b.jpg

Crab Dinner any one?

People always say: "If you are in Hokkaido, make sure you enjoy the classic Hokkaido Three-type-crabs dinner. Must eat huh! Must eat!"
Ok lah.
I am not so much a crab person. Only SereneXMM and the Grandfather are.
But still, a deluxe crab dinner was in order.

The crab restaurant that this tour guide planned for dinner wasn't far.
It was only about 200m down from Odori Park somewhere at Susukino.
The tour guide didn't even know what Susukino was. To him, it was merely a word in his GPS.

Here is the GPS track of this troupe from JR Sapporo Station to the various places and finally ending up at the crab restaurant.

5460983632_59606d3683_b.jpg

So we walked and walked...
... and made a left turn and there it was... the Big Crab sign.

5437022155_a5ff72d585_b.jpg

It said Kani Shogun かに将军.
"Papa, what is Kani Shogun?". Sh*t. I should've known the question will come.
"Kani means crab in Japanese. And Shogun mah... Shogun is, you know last time there used to be a movie called Shogun, you know...
.... I think it means maybe a warrior, a warrior General something like that...".
Never mind. Like that any how explain also can pass. Hey... I newbie tour guide mah..
Wah... this food joint must be dang high class man.
Because there was a well-dressed senior gentleman at the front lobby who very gently guided us how to take off our shoes and very carefully placed them in a well-designated slots.
My, such care given to even footwear. Must be a very high class set up...

5437106447_d946e60388_b.jpg

Anyway, this Kani Shogun was highly recommended in one of the Tour Guide books.
So it must be good.
And come on lah... How expensive can a few pieces of crabs be in Japan, right?
...... Ahem... well, we'll just wait and see.

5437046333_f339e35bf7_b.jpg

... well... no, not wrong place.
Papa has decided to give all a luxury of a life time mah... So all of you, please order as you like and just don't look at the prices. OK?

5437645030_501890a1ec_b.jpg

[Translation: "Aiyoh.. goodness, so many different Crab set meals and they're all in Japanese. How do I order?" Said Grandfather.
"Grandpa, just point!" suggested the young man.]

So Grandfather just closed his eyes and tikam-tikam just pointed.... and unfortunately his finger landed on the most expensive set on the menu. Haha...

Our nth highlight of the day: Hokkaido Crab Extravaganza!

So, with fingers pointing all over the menu and my brain ticking away doing quiet mental sums of the total damage... a few Kimono-wrapped old Japanese women came up and set up the charcoal grill on each of our table.

Here is just a short intro to how some of these beautifully decorated delicacies looked like:

Don't ask me what this was. I just knew it was some crab's upper limbs.

5437057255_64cc6d0c48_b.jpg

And this one mah... this one... it looked like the left elbow of another different species of crab..
I don't know what name...

5437685908_76c0296b4d_b.jpg

And yah! This one...! This must have been its other elbow...
But just happened to end up on another family member's plate...

5437674358_af24377b66_b.jpg

This one with the tomato and lettuce, must be the Japanese version of Big Mac...

5437084745_758988f15b_b.jpg

Now hey, this one! This one we know... the girls' favorato sushi...!

5437091761_73bcedc800_b.jpg

The old Japanese lady with the wrinkled face was very nice.
She pitied us for paying her boss all these stacks of Japanese yens.
So she took out some of the left-over of the crabs we ordered and peng-kang (grilled) for us..
Here, i think, are some of the breast meat, right thumb, left thigh, loin meat...
Hmmm... sure looked nice and delicious!

5437098511_4cfe59078c_b.jpg

Haha... so grooosss right? The way I described the meal?!
Haha... all the jokes that I have made were just for fun. Just for fun. This restaurant was simply great!
But in all honesty, it was a very very unique experience for all of us... having succulent, raw Hokkaido crab and grilled crab pincers on a cold, winter Hokkaido night.
Something that we are certainly not going to forget for a long while.
What we have also found out was, Hokkaido crabs are certainly very different in taste and in texture from the local Sri-Lankan crabs that we are so used to eating back home in Singapore.
So it would require a total change in mind-set and a complete adjustment in wallet composition before one ventures into the world of Hokkaido Crab Meal.

After the onslaught...

Er... what I meant was, after we have slaughtered the crabs and all their appendages, we walked out happy, contented, and full onto the cold of the night again.
The night wind woke us back to reality as the night scene of Hokkaido bombarded our senses.

5437116515_0396166b47_b.jpg

Not far from Susukino was the small shopping arcade of 狸小路.
How to pronounce that in Japanese, I didn't know.
But there was lots of CDs, and lots of typical cute cute Japanese crafts and items for sale there.
And of course, not short of more restaurants.
"Hey what does the signboard says?" I asked the elder sister, for she was the one who was holding the Japanese book.
"しやぶしやぶ... It means Shyabu Shyabu, Papa..." the young lady peered into her book and decipher each syllabus.
Hmmm... This Papa quietly made a mental note to remember how to come here for another round of meal.

5437734622_a0c1535db7_b.jpg

Another meal.
Another night.
Another one kilometre walk back to the hotel.
"Papa, Papa.... hey they have Daiso here! Daiso! Daiso! That $2 shop. Can we go and see.. can we go?"
Wah lau.. the children. Once they see Daiso, they were like gone crazy.

"Hey, but you all please don't any how buy things ok? We still have a long long journey to go." instructed the tired Papa.
Haha... actually that's how family trips are.
We adults have our fun, then the old folks have theirs. And when the opportunity presented themselves, the children have their own set of fun.

5437133737_250f165391_b.jpg

With bags and bags of Japanese tit bits and bottles of Sake from Daiso in our hands, we happily walked back to our hotel, stomach full, body warmed, and mind happy...
... but of course, with the Papa's wallet significantly lightened.

Again, very very soon... every one slipped into Winter Slumberland in Hokkaido...

NICE travelogue. Camping here too. Brings back nice memories from our family trip. :D
AlexK yah, AlexK!
Thank you for your encouragement! You camping?
Don't like that lah, 大哥大佬! You have been there and done that already lor...
Me, I am newbie to Japan leh... Hahaha...
Thanks, really really thanks!

Waaaa lots of people camping here... including me. ;)
Huh?! You setting up Tent?!
Wah lau eh... I am humbled, daredevil123!
Nothing much I have to show leh... just a lot of TCSS leh...
But then, truly truly... thanks to you too!

Hi limwhow,

its really heartwarming to see threads like yours once in a while. Beyond every picture you have captured speaks volumes of the bond you share with your family and how closely knitted all of you are.

Hats off to not only the amazing write up you have potrayed but more so, you examplify how a family unit should be.

好 :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
Wooaaaah! Such a big word there!
Thank you for your encouragement, Kopiko79!
I am just lor-sor only leh... every picture also can come up with description. Haha...
But thank you thank you for giving me the affirmation!

Thanks for sharing your trip with us.
From the recent Myanmar trip to this travelogue I would say you guys are great at recording!
My buddy was on the Myanmar trip with you and he had nothing but praise for you.
Pictures are nice and true to the feel, heart-warming and very well documented. :thumbsup::thumbsup:
It is not the end but the journey that matters so please continue to do what you do best!

TOYOKO INN EKI-KITA-GUCHI HOTEL
(东横Inn駅北口)

The toilet bowl had a built-in spray that could spray both the bottom behind as well as the bottom in front.
And it was sooooo good, that both the children as well as the adults kept going back in to use them again and again and again...
This, in one of my client's own words, is: "World Class!".

5436967070_7833604eef_b.jpg

:lovegrin::thumbsup:
Really amazing toilet bowls !!! Last month i went there, i really enjoy that, especially in the winter period:lovegrin:

Thanks for ur sharing...:thumbsup:
Hokkaido is really a beautiful place:lovegrin:

Wow, amazing pics bro limwhow! :thumbsup: I especially enjoy the way you narrate and add spice to the story :D I'll also camp here and wait for the rest of the pics :)

5437098511_4cfe59078c_b.jpg

Haha... so grooosss right? The way I described the meal?!
Haha... all the jokes that I have made were just for fun. Just for fun. This restaurant was simply great!
But in all honesty, it was a very very unique experience for all of us... having succulent, raw Hokkaido crab and grilled crab pincers on a cold, winter Hokkaido night.
Something that we are certainly not going to forget for a long while.
What we have also found out was, Hokkaido crabs are certainly very different in taste and in texture from the local Sri-Lankan crabs that we are so used to eating back home in Singapore.
So it would require a total change in mind-set and a complete adjustment in wallet composition before one ventures into the world of Hokkaido Crab Meal.

You mean all you get were just finger size craws? These crabs must be anorexic! But I believed it must have tasted good.

Last edited:
Great read! Can't wait to see the rest!;)

Thank you very much, tyho!
Just hope that my continuous non-stop talkative narration and overwhelming bombardment of record shots don't bore you too much.

Thanks for sharing your trip with us.
From the recent Myanmar trip to this travelogue I would say you guys are great at recording!
My buddy was on the Myanmar trip with you and he had nothing but praise for you.
Pictures are nice and true to the feel, heart-warming and very well documented. :thumbsup:
It is not the end but the journey that matters so please continue to do what you do best!

Alpina, really thank you very much for giving me the encouragement to keep posting.
Sincerely, there are many many much more experienced photographers together with us for all our past trips.
We are but just snap-shot photographers, and nothing to shout about.
Just that I TCSS too much... haha...

Thanks for ur sharing...:thumbsup:
Hokkaido is really a beautiful place

Thank you for coming on board and giving me your compliments, OnePiece!
Hokkaido, and its beautifully designed toilet bowls, are wonderful.
I am sure you had as enjoyable a time as us there, if not more!

Wow, amazing pics bro limwhow! :thumbsup: I especially enjoy the way you narrate and add spice to the story :D I'll also camp here and wait for the rest of the pics

Haha.. larlarloo, thank you so much for being here and giving me the thumbsup.
A trip is a trip. The journey is enjoyable. The end is lovely.
But having great companions like you all up here to share my humble story - now that's really out of the world, especially for a snap-shooter like us.
Thank you thank you!

You mean all you get were just finger size craws? These crabs must be anorexic! But I believed it must have tasted good.
Divinemoment yah, divinemoment! You hit the nail on the head right on when you used the word Anorexic.
Honestly, when eaten raw, the crab meat are really sweet.
But when we grilled them, they lose their sweetness and I felt it would have been less of a waste had we eaten them raw.
Haha... good observation, my friend!

Divinemoment yah, divinemoment! You hit the nail on the head right on when you used the word Anorexic.
Honestly, when eaten raw, the crab meat are really sweet.
But when we grilled them, they lose their sweetness and I felt it would have been less of a waste had we eaten them raw.
Haha... good observation, my friend!

I agree...it's real sweet when eaten raw...sweeter when washed down with sake after a soak in the onsen...

Bro limwhow & SereneXMM...

So nice seeing you all doing a HOKKAIDO travelogue here...no need to ask around for reference...with your great photos and narration...it always enjoyable reading and viewing your photos...intend to go HOKKAIDO at this year end...

Cheers

I agree...it's real sweet when eaten raw...sweeter when washed down with sake after a soak in the onsen...

Yah yah yah.. rub it in some more... hahaha!

Bro limwhow & SereneXMM...

So nice seeing you all doing a HOKKAIDO travelogue here...no need to ask around for reference...with your great photos and narration...it always enjoyable reading and viewing your photos...intend to go HOKKAIDO at this year end...

Cheers

Tazzie21, hey wah thank you for the confidence in us!
I am sure you are going to have a great time in Hokkaido, my good friend!