HK and general travel photography

kumagelo

Jan 18, 2009
in that polygon you avoid
Hi!

Come May I would be travelling to HK for 6 days and I would like to ask advice or pointers on what to take note, look out for and/or avoid. It would be my first time traveling with a full gear also, my stuff would primarily comprise of an Oly e30, 12-60, 9-18, a flash, tripod and some accessories like filters. I would be carrying them in a flipside 300.

my immediate questions are,

Can I carry in a tripod into the plane? I thought I did this before when I went to Malaysia but I'm just making sure.

Should i add in a 70-300 into the mix? I'd prefer not to for because of the additional weight. And I'm just not sure if a tele would be much use.

Any suggestions on nice places for photo taking places? (generally) land/cityscapes is what I'm looking for.

Its been a while since I went there around 3-4 years, and back then i was just tagging along and not into photography. I want to take the chance to try more landscapes this time around so any opinion would be considered. feel free to comment.

TIA:sweatsm:

Hi!

Come May I would be travelling to HK for 6 days and I would like to ask advice or pointers on what to take note, look out for and/or avoid. It would be my first time traveling with a full gear also, my stuff would primarily comprise of an Oly e30, 12-60, 9-18, a flash, tripod and some accessories like filters. I would be carrying them in a flipside 300.

my immediate questions are,

Can I carry in a tripod into the plane? I thought I did this before when I went to Malaysia but I'm just making sure.

Should i add in a 70-300 into the mix? I'd prefer not to for because of the additional weight. And I'm just not sure if a tele would be much use.

Any suggestions on nice places for photo taking places? (generally) land/cityscapes is what I'm looking for.

Its been a while since I went there around 3-4 years, and back then i was just tagging along and not into photography. I want to take the chance to try more landscapes this time around so any opinion would be considered. feel free to comment.

TIA:sweatsm:

There are a few (3, about) talking HK photography thingy, in 1st few pages in this travel forum.
What do you plan to use a flash for? I always not carry my flash...
12-60 will give you 24-120 equivalent right? That should be enough, no need 70-300 IMO.
A tripod should be fine on plane, check other thread in this sub-forum

I just came back last week, it was pretty cold: unexpected cold snap (8-16 C).
Bought only my 450D, 10-22, 50 prime and CPL. No tripod or flash cos I like to travel light. Teles not that useful in the crowded streets of HK.

Usual suspects: Victoria Peak, Victoria Harbour etc. Stanley was a bit far but managed to get some decent shots there.

Last edited:
hey! ill b gg hk this weekend too :p im planning to bring my d90 along with a 35mm 1.8/f, an 18-55 prime lens, and a tripod for night shots.. dun think ill need anything more than that.. travel light.. thats my advice.. cheers! :cool:

Travel safe people....sandstorm...heard it's quite bad...I'm heading to hk in May...hoping it subsides...

Just came back from HK doing documentation Photography yesterday. Bring a mask as pollution there is pretty well known bad, you can also take the free mask when you exit out of the baggage collection area to the main hall. I guess places you going are typical tourist spots for the sight seeing or shopping. If you want to go non tourist can PM me.

Tripod not a problem to carry on the plane, i had done it ample times and no problem with it wherever i travel in asia. As for monopod might be a bit risky as it might see it as a dangerous weapon in HK airport. Probably they will bring you to the baggage bay to put inside your luggage.

18-22 May there is Cheung Chau Bun Festival on Cheung Chau island, if you happen to be there during that period, spend half a day or more. Do expect a lot of people on this tiny island with plenty of photographers taking pictures of the festive.

Take a boat ride to Macau, if you are tired of HK for the time being. You can book a driver for 2 hours and he can bring you to some of the sight seeing spots to take pictures.

For me i travel heavy on the past 3 days, camera, 24-70, 70-200, tilt shift 24, 90 and other accessories. For your equipment, tripod not necessary unless you into night shoot each night. Good to have but won't die without it. Flash not necessary depending on your photography style. Personal thought, bring your 12-60 and 70-300 are sufficient.

Lastly have fun in such cramp and buzzing city!

Just came back from HK doing documentation Photography yesterday. Bring a mask as pollution there is pretty well known bad, you can also take the free mask when you exit out of the baggage collection area to the main hall. I guess places you going are typical tourist spots for the sight seeing or shopping. If you want to go non tourist can PM me.

Tripod not a problem to carry on the plane, i had done it ample times and no problem with it wherever i travel in asia. As for monopod might be a bit risky as it might see it as a dangerous weapon in HK airport. Probably they will bring you to the baggage bay to put inside your luggage.

18-22 May there is Cheung Chau Bun Festival on Cheung Chau island, if you happen to be there during that period, spend half a day or more. Do expect a lot of people on this tiny island with plenty of photographers taking pictures of the festive.

Take a boat ride to Macau, if you are tired of HK for the time being. You can book a driver for 2 hours and he can bring you to some of the sight seeing spots to take pictures.

For me i travel heavy on the past 3 days, camera, 24-70, 70-200, tilt shift 24, 90 and other accessories. For your equipment, tripod not necessary unless you into night shoot each night. Good to have but won't die without it. Flash not necessary depending on your photography style. Personal thought, bring your 12-60 and 70-300 are sufficient.

Lastly have fun in such cramp and buzzing city!

wow thanks for the advice. yes i do plan to shoot nights i think I'll just be bringing the tripod as needed. too bad i wont be able to make it to the Cheung Chau Bun festival as I'll be there a week earlier.

:thumbsup:

We would be travelling to HK for 8 days in May and would be in time for the Bun Festival. Checked out the official website and it said that the main procession will take place on Fri, May 21. I was wondering if it would be any better or worse to go on Fri compared to the other marked days for the festival (18th-22nd). I would imagine it to be extremely crowded on the day of the actual procession.

Apart from the festival, we also intend to head to Shenzhen and Zhuhai. Just wanted to ask if it's feasible to head to Zhuhai from HK as I previously headed there from Macau but we don't intend in going to Macau this time.

Any other recommendations? Thanks!