Highly trusted camera shops in Singapore

JoeyFO

Jan 15, 2013
Singapore
Hi there, I've been in SG for 5 years, and so far I've bought my camera gears from two shops only, Cathay photo and TK foto. My experience with these two shops are positive, I don't think I got cheated in any way, but I'm always afraid that I may get cheated whenever I shop as I have a face that makes people think that I can be easily cheated. Cannot show my face here, though, haha.

So, I want to know which camera shops are highly trusted in SG. I don't have any friend in SG that is into photography, so quite hard to get such info. Don't go wrong with sticking with Cathay photo or TK foto?

Thanks for your advice. :)

Hi there, I've been in SG for 5 years, and so far I've bought my camera gears from two shops only, Cathay photo and TK foto. My experience with these two shops are positive, I don't think I got cheated in any way, but I'm always afraid that I may get cheated whenever I shop as I have a face that makes people think that I can be easily cheated. Cannot show my face here, though, haha.

So, I want to know which camera shops are highly trusted in SG. I don't have any friend in SG that is into photography, so quite hard to get such info. Don't go wrong with sticking with Cathay photo or TK foto?

Both stores are considered to be trustworthy stores by many people, myself included.

TK Foto is a one price store, so the price is the same for everyone, and no negotiation is entertained nor required.

Both TK foto and Cathay Photo are good and reputable shop. Other shops to go to were,

1) SLRR
2) Click!
3) John 3:16
4) Orient Photo
5) MScolor

For no. 1 to 3, these shops are all in Funan, Orient Photo are in Sim Lim Square (6th storey), MScolor was in Ang Mo Kio.

Anyway, for any shops, before you go and buy anything, it would be good that you give them an email to ask for quotation, then print out that email and bring it to them when you go to buy the item, that way, you wouldn't be cheated by cheesy salesperson.

Thanks for your assurance and the list of the shops! Those are HUGELY helpful, thanks a lot! Asking for quotation by email in advance sounds like a way to go. I'll do that, for sure. :)

Thanks for your assurance and the list of the shops! Those are HUGELY helpful, thanks a lot! Asking for quotation by email in advance sounds like a way to go. I'll do that, for sure. :)

Note that some shops in Sim Lim square are frequently complained by customers for cases like overcharging or hardsell tactics. As some of the units are strata owned, the authorities can't do anything to evict them. To prevent further bad reputation, they changed the shop name but still the same staff and service level persists. Be advised.

Note that some shops in Sim Lim square are frequently complained by customers for cases like overcharging or hardsell tactics. As some of the units are strata owned, the authorities can't do anything to evict them. To prevent further bad reputation, they changed the shop name but still the same staff and service level persists. Be advised.

Thanks for your advice. Actually, I completely stay away from Sim Lim square. Never entered there for the past 3-4 years, haha.

Both TK foto and Cathay Photo are good and reputable shop. Other shops to go to were,

1) SLRR
2) Click!
3) John 3:16
4) Orient Photo
5) MScolor

For no. 1 to 3, these shops are all in Funan, Orient Photo are in Sim Lim Square (6th storey), MScolor was in Ang Mo Kio.

Anyway, for any shops, before you go and buy anything, it would be good that you give them an email to ask for quotation, then print out that email and bring it to them when you go to buy the item, that way, you wouldn't be cheated by cheesy salesperson.

When dealing with number 3 please be careful and take note. There have been reports of some overcharging, especially for filters. Do a quick search in this forum and you will find out.

Thanks for your advice. Actually, I completely stay away from Sim Lim square. Never entered there for the past 3-4 years, haha.

Yes... that is why I only go to Orient Photo. So far... no problem for me.

When dealing with number 3 please be careful and take note. There have been reports of some overcharging, especially for filters. Do a quick search in this forum and you will find out.

Which is why TS needed to ask for e-quote first from all these shop. I have bought quite a number of items from John3:16... and so far no problem at all... Plus, I would really advise TS to buy only what he/she had done research and wanted to buy (initially). Never ever go into any shop to... say with original intention of getting a lens and ended up buying filters and other extensions or accessories with the lens.

To me... that is a definite no-no. When you want a lens... get that lens and that's it. If you want filter for your lens... do the same thing, ask for e-quote first.

Which is why TS needed to ask for e-quote first from all these shop. I have bought quite a number of items from John3:16... and so far no problem at all... Plus, I would really advise TS to buy only what he/she had done research and wanted to buy (initially). Never ever go into any shop to... say with original intention of getting a lens and ended up buying filters and other extensions or accessories with the lens.

To me... that is a definite no-no. When you want a lens... get that lens and that's it. If you want filter for your lens... do the same thing, ask for e-quote first.

Great advice! A bit troublesome, but a sure safe way to protect ourselves from potentials cheatings... Btw, before going down to camera shops to buy items like lenses or filters, I do study on price on amazon, but seems like the prices are always higher at SG shops (than prices shown on amazon converted to SGD). Is it common?

Last edited:
Great advice! A bit troublesome, but a sure safe way to protect ourselves from potentials cheatings... Btw, before going down to camera shops to buy items like lenses or filters, I do study on price on amazon, but seems like the prices are always higher at SG shops (than prices shown on amazon converted to SGD). Is it common?

Yes... if you look at prices of camera gears in US, Hongkong and sometime Japan, their prices are lower (especially Hongkong). My colleagues went to Shenzhen once and shop in one of their more reputable shop and was able to get a 70-200mm f2.8L IS at only around S$2600 while it cost around 3k in Singapore.

Oh... and when looking at amazon costs, do factor in shipping cost and also if your item is more than S$400, you need to pay 7% GST.

Thanks for all the info! The thing I feel about those shops is that I dont necessarily need to buy gears and accessories from a shop that gives the cheapest price. I just want to buy from a honest and dignified shop that makes me feel assured that I dont even need to worry about being cheated!

Last edited:
Both stores are considered to be trustworthy stores by many people, myself included.

TK Foto is a one price store, so the price is the same for everyone, and no negotiation is entertained nor required.

Does that also mean that prices at Cathay can be negotiated?

I did successfully nego my Gitzo tripod with Cathay before ;) and trust me... that is the cheapest price you can get for that tripod in town.

I just got something from Click! at Funan IT mall few days ago.. Not so bad.

this thread is very useful for foto newbies... myself included, lets keep this alive, I'm getting some lenses soon n bumped into this thread, thumbs up for sharing!

Not for me...been buying from the same sales guy for years (from penin plaza to marina) and he never once budged..either he gave me the best prices or I have been 'conned' all these while. Lol but anyways, I prefer dealing with familiar ppl as he knows what I want and need for my photog stuff.

I'm back here again. Just wondering one thing. When I ask for e-quote from cathay photo, they always return a quote with this disclaimer mentioned.

-------------
In addition, please present this email IMMEDIATELY when you are served by our sales staff so that the above prices are accorded to you. Any purchase made for the quoted product(s) w/o this email, or prior to receiving this email, will render this quote invalid.
-------------

What does this mean? Are they implying that "if you just come into our store and verbally ask for a quote (without presenting the email), we will overcharge you"?

I've found this disclaimer very funny. It's like almost saying we'll overcharge those who don't ask for e-quote first, isn't it?

Last edited: