hi from new member

Status
Not open for further replies.

alan67

Oct 7, 2008
Hi,
got myself a Canon 40D, 17-85 kit lens and 430EX flash recently.
hope to learn a lot from you all. thanks.

Welcome

read more
shoot more
post more

welcome!!! newbie here also... :thumbsup:you'll gonna find anything you want to learn here. enjoy!!!:)

Sell the lens, get an L. Enjoy your stay here. Thanks!

:pmany Canon users seem quite allergic to this lens. i read several reviews and it's likely that i'd happen to change this lens soon.

:dunno:eek:ne thing i'm not so clear: this 17-85 lens' resolution test charts show quite high figures. please anyone explain: in which department this lens is inferior to other kit lenses (even 18-55 IS is recommended over this lens though the test results, build, USM motor etc are not as good as this lens). 28-135 also shows lower res figures in Photozone review.

:nono:not to compare with an L. and i'm not arguing majority's opinion. just curious.

:)thanks in advance.

:pmany Canon users seem quite allergic to this lens. i read several reviews and it's likely that i'd happen to change this lens soon.

:dunno:eek:ne thing i'm not so clear: this 17-85 lens' resolution test charts show quite high figures. please anyone explain: in which department this lens is inferior to other kit lenses (even 18-55 IS is recommended over this lens though the test results, build, USM motor etc are not as good as this lens). 28-135 also shows lower res figures in Photozone review.

:nono:not to compare with an L. and i'm not arguing majority's opinion. just curious.

your pt 2 regarding 17-85 is also something i dun really understand. The lens is not too bad especially consider how cheap u can get for 2nd hand copy. If u compare it with

18-55 - ~$60
18-55IS - ~$1XX
17-55IS - ~$10XX
17-50 Tamron ~$5XX

all of them got their + and -

Welcome to the world of Photography bro..

Don't think about of test chart / figures thingy about your lens... just go out and shoot... shoot.. and shoot...

:thumbsup:

Don't bother buying a new lens yet.
Maximise the capabilites of the 17-85 (which I believe can last you a few months when you're a starter). But are you a starter at all? The 40D leaves me in doubt.
I know people who really pushed the limits of the 18-55 without IS, survived with it. That lens can't be better than your 17-85.
Right now, all you got to do is to find shooting kakis, go out and shoot more. You'll find a specific genre of stuff you like to shoot eventually, and also develop a unique shooting style. Walk around your neighbourhood, shoot.

Keep shooting.

Well, make every shot count that will help burn your passion in photography! Don't shoot blindly! Shoot what really matters and you'll love the difference a DSLR can bring =]

Come on, don't change your lens because of what others say. If anything, check the reviews before you get the lens, not after it.

Since you already have it, change it if you think its not performing to what you wish.

hi bros,
:Dthanks for your encouraging notes.
will keep on shooting more with this lens for the time being:thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.