Heritage Railroad - Tangjong Pagar to Bukit Timah

xtemujin said:
It is quite fast that the railway tracks have been removed.

I was passing Cold Storage Jelita today and the tracks were gone.

Tracks near buona vista mrt had been removed this morning. Pity..

Looks like the tracks from Tanjong Pagar to Bukit Timah railway station have been removed.

Looks like the tracks from Tanjong Pagar to Bukit Timah railway station have been removed.

What I understand from the company Ban & Co who are responsible for removing railway tracks, the section of railway tracks will be preserve for Bukit Timah Station is the section between the station and the bridge over Bukit Timah Road. :(

Is it possible to still go to the tracks and trek? Or is it considered trespassing already?

Yes, they've cordoned off part of the Bukit Timah Railway station track.

What I understand from the company Ban & Co who are responsible for removing railway tracks, the section of railway tracks will be preserve for Bukit Timah Station is the section between the station and the bridge over Bukit Timah Road. :(

Bukit Timah Railway Station open to public from Sept 16
By Joanne Chan | Posted: 02 September 2011 0933 hrs

SINGAPORE: The old Bukit Timah Railway Station and surrounding railway land will be open to the public in two weeks.

Announcing this on Friday, the Singapore Land Authority (SLA) said the station and railway land extending 1.4km southwards from the steel bridge along Bukit Timah Road will be open from September 16.

The SLA said other portions of the railway land will also be progressively open after removal works are completed.

Providing an update on the removal works Friday morning, Law Minister K Shanmugam said that about 30 per cent of the tracks have been dismantled.

Under the Points of Agreement with Malaysia, Singapore has to remove the tracks and ancillary structures of the KTM Railway by the end of this year.

Once the tracks are removed, the gravel is flattened and will be covered by grass.

"A lot of people have asked us why can't we preserve the railway tracks. I can understand that but it's not possible simply because under the treaty, all of this belongs to Malaysia and we have to give it back to them. There are small parts, where we are preserving some, with agreement," said Mr Shanmugam.

Mr Shanmugam also reassured nature lovers that there was minimal clearance of vegetation and no trees were felled in that area.

The Urban Redevelopment Authority is studying the possibility of marrying development with greenery for the railway land by maintaining a continuous green link along the rail corridor without affecting the development potential.

- CNA/cc

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1150625/1/.html