Help with saving this old machine

Nov 9, 2009
Hey guys, I didnt really know where to put up this thread but it seems like this is the most appropriate place. Actually its my first post... Anyway as the story goes.....

I was digging around the storeroom a few days ago when i found an odd looking leather bounded box, guess what a surprise it was when i opened if up!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/47773456@N03/sets/72157623656958938/

Asked my dad and realized it was a gift from my uncle in Taiwan many many years back somewhere down the memory lane.... nostalgic.

For the past few days, i have been looking up professor Google but couldn't dig up much, the only thing i can guess it that it might be a 4X5 format camera (Correct me if I'm wrong, I'm probably am). All i could find is that ebay sells quite a few of them. lol. Nothing about how to use and how to make it work.

As such I would like to see if anyone could kindly bestow information or any place which i can find relevant information about the camera. It sure would be awesome if I could make it work..... without burning a massive hole in my pocket (still a student).

Anyway thanks guys :)

hey, post it in rangefinderforum.com also, there are folks who are active in non-35mm cameras.

I'll do that! thanks for the suggestion :)

Ok let's try to have a simple guide to using it :D Now this is all from my experience in using cameras and I have no idea about this particular model.

This seems to be an uncoupled rangefinder :) The lens is fixed. No idea about the focal length as it is not marked.

You can see the distance guide on the side. This tells you the focusing distance. So guesstimate the distance and use the guide.

You can always measure the rear of the camera and figure out what format it is.

The lens mechanism is simple. I know about T and B. T is time - shutter will remain open until shutter release is pressed again. B - shutter will remain open as long as shutter release is kept pressed.

The lever below the lens is the aperture setting. The one on the side is the shutter release. If you see the cylindrical looking thing, you can see a small lever protruding. pressing that would release the shutter.

Hope I am somewhat right :embrass:

Maddyks Thanks for the info :) I tried to measure the the back cover and i found that i could remove this plate to expose the film holder?! I didnt even notice it previously!! May i know where i am supposed to measure to know the format?

Anyway I guess what i have to do is
1) to set up the settings
2) place a film at the backcover
3) insert in back into the camera
4) expose the film

It should be as such ya?

Anyway could i ask what kind of film does it use? If I am still able to get it? :D

The opening at the back (which you have photographed too on flickr) should provide you with the format. At least that's what I think. People who use LF cameras should be able to comment more. :)

It uses sheet film which you can definitely get.

For how to shoot, you do have to look at the camera considering we can't figure out what its name is.

Btw noticed a catch on top of the box, does the top open? :) any other inscriptions/logos anywhere else on the camera?

I don't own a folding camera but have operated LF before and though there are similarities, the operation seems to be simpler.

- check the lense for fungus and the bellows (the accordion thingy) for holes that would cause light leaks.
- Aperture ring is clearly at the bottom, check that for each f-stop the aperture ring closes down accordingly.
- T(imed), B(ulb), I(nstant) are your shutter modes available. Again check that they all work.
- you have to look for these levers if they exist, but your camera looks simple enough so probably not. 1. Lever to close the lense. 2. Lever to c*ck the shutter.

this instruction manual is the most similar except it is for medium format film.
http://www.butkus.org/chinon/spartus/spartus_no_1_folding/spartus_no_1_folding.htm

use this to get some relevant tips. particularly the extra levers and how to check the bellows.
http://www-personal.umich.edu/~mfobrien/foldingcamera.pdf

this is for a LF view camera. Just for comparison sake.
http://www.largeformatphotography.info/how-to-operate.html

Thanks guys for all your help! Really appreciate it :) Foxtwo i found the T,B I lever and they seem to be in working function, I guess for now I will focus on getting the film as well as learning how to shoot digital since i have always shot digital. This might be the trigger for me to start toying with film!

Again, thanks guys :) Hope I can give you some good news soon (After my exams that is...)

Glucose, get in touch with Dream Merchant when you can. He organises LF meet-ups. :)