help with dry box

Status
Not open for further replies.

redname

Oct 8, 2009
hi,
i'm use a dry box for my equipment, comes with a hydro meter.

my readings are ard 65% RH. read tht recommended should be 40-45%.

is the extra % gng to spoil my equipment? if yes then how can i lower it? put more silica gel?

Check your silica gels and see if they have turned pink. It might also be that the box is not fully air tight. Tyring putting vaseline on the rim to seal it up before closing the lid.

Fungus loves damp places (high humidity).

I doubt there is a specific RH that the fungus will/will not grow though, but I'll assume that the chances of fungus establishing itself at 65% is higher than 45%.

Follow ziploc's recommendations before adding more silica gel :)

i tried putting vaseline.

now the avg reading is 70%

so i shld add more silica gel? the original ones still look new btw

Last edited:
Assuming SIN and room with open windows. RH is 60% above. So from the start, either your silica gel is already exhausted or the hygrometer is faulty.

As long as there isn't not a big hole in the box, a typical 500gram of fresh silica gel can get a 20L non airtight toyogo box down to 40-43% in 4 days.

You did not explain how big the box is and what is the color of the silica gel now. You cannot expect one tablespoon full of silica gel to dry the entire 20L box. So if the box allow, use the full 500gm but never every allow the equipment to come into direct contact with the silica. Even a piece of card in-between will do fine.

The common sold silica gel from camera/film developer shops are blue indicator -> pink (dry, wet). While the less common is the orange indicator.

i tried putting vaseline.

now the avg reading is 70%

so i shld add more silica gel? the original ones still look new btw

U need to get better sliica gel or bigger packet. i think the one you using is abit too weak and not strong enuff to absorb the humitity. Get a bigger pack one. It should do the trick.

Status
Not open for further replies.