Help : What should I buy after I've gotten my FZ-50

Status
Not open for further replies.
Correction the true focal length of the lens is 7.4mm - 88.8mm.
This camera having used a small sensor has a focal length multiplier of about 4.73.
That's why it can achieve the 35-420mm (35mm equivalent).

See below for explaination
http://www.photoxels.com/tutorial_focal_length.html
and so does all non-dSLR use this method... even dSLR also use it (Oly got a 2x crop factor!)
if pana wants, they could simply slap a 24x36mm sensor in there(at a expensive of extremely high cost)... but what will user get? a 28-300mm f3.5-5.6 lens(and also a much much bigger and bulker camera)? or a 7.4-88.4mm f2.8-3.7 (35-430mm equiv) lens?

This camera having used a small sensor has a focal length multiplier of about 4.73.

Yeah this sounds correct:thumbsup:

whoa.. is that cropping factor of 4.73 correct???? :confused: is there a web site that supports that?

good thing i got my 400D now :D

Erm, but I don't see how that is a problem, because it's all about lens and body combination to give it a magnification factor equivalent to using a full-frame.

One advantage that the FZ series have over all DSLRs, for that price, you can't get a lens which will produce sharp images at that 'equivalent focal length' without pictures turning out soft.

and so does all non-dSLR use this method... even dSLR also use it (Oly got a 2x crop factor!)
if pana wants, they could simply slap a 24x36mm sensor in there(at a expensive of extremely high cost)... but what will user get? a 28-300mm f3.5-5.6 lens(and also a much much bigger and bulker camera)? or a 7.4-88.4mm f2.8-3.7 (35-430mm equiv) lens?

Totally agreed with you bro. Price factor and mobility issues here...

whoa.. is that cropping factor of 4.73 correct???? :confused: is there a web site that supports that?

good thing i got my 400D now :D
imho nothing wrong with cropping actually... it just mean the lens need to produce more resolution when comparing with a real 300mm lens on fullframe.

i could be wrong tho.

Hi all,

I've just gotten my FZ50 with a 1GB SD card, a camera bag, a tripod and a cleaning kit.

What accessories should I get next, other than add-on lenses?

I'm planning to get a lens protector and a dry box, what other recommendations did fellow FZ50 or other Panasonic owners get when they got their cameras?

Thanks
Awww.. if you had the intention to keep on buying add-ons, you should have gotten a DSLR in the first place. ;p

Wouldn't that be close to what Sony did for the R1? Not a FF sensor but an APS sensor, isn't it?

Wouldn't that be close to what Sony did for the R1? Not a FF sensor but an APS sensor, isn't it?
in simple yes, but thats only 24-120mm equiv, no where near the 420mm equiv of a fz50. :bsmilie:
and this is also the important factor for manufactor to decide in using small sensor.

if i'm not wrong, all cameras incl Dslrs have a cropping factor (heard some talk on the diff between film lenses and digital lenses sometime back) taht's why there is always some problems when you use a film lens on a dslr body,some artifacts or something. but after doing almost 1 and half years of research on the diff between bridge and dslr cameras, imho that the cost savings for the equivalent zoom range far exceeds any shortcomings in a bridge. yes there is noise, yes there is cropping yes there is ...... but then i save more than $5000 and up, so all those yes, i can accept! :D but the funny thing is, when all i want is to take some photos for fun, that cropping actually allows me to go up 20x :bigeyes: optical at 3M pixels see if any lens can beat that at no additonal extra cost :bsmilie:

if i'm not wrong, all cameras incl Dslrs have a cropping factor (heard some talk on the diff between film lenses and digital lenses sometime back) taht's why there is always some problems when you use a film lens on a dslr body,some artifacts or something. but after doing almost 1 and half years of research on the diff between bridge and dslr cameras, imho that the cost savings for the equivalent zoom range far exceeds any shortcomings in a bridge. yes there is noise, yes there is cropping yes there is ...... but then i save more than $5000 and up, so all those yes, i can accept! :D but the funny thing is, when all i want is to take some photos for fun, that cropping actually allows me to go up 20x :bigeyes: optical at 3M pixels see if any lens can beat that at no additonal extra cost :bsmilie:

olympus up coming 18x zoom :bsmilie:. and do a crop yourself to 3mp, most probably you get around 27x plus or minus. :eek:

Wait till you encounter low light. :p

olympus up coming 18x zoom :bsmilie:. and do a crop yourself to 3mp, most probably you get around 27x plus or minus. :eek:

WAH LIAO! 18X :bigeyes: heh heh then the sensor must be how small or is the frontend too heavy! :D

Wait till you encounter low light. :p

heh heh i not taking that "kind" of photos lah! ;) my subjects all doing things in broad daylight! :cool:

heh heh i not taking that "kind" of photos lah! ;) my subjects all doing things in broad daylight! :cool:
Walao.. not that "kind" lah.. What I meant was night street shots or theatre, then you'll start to find that such small sensor sizes are a real limitation when it comes to noise.

Walao.. not that "kind" lah.. What I meant was night street shots or theatre, then you'll start to find that such small sensor sizes are a real limitation when it comes to noise.
this is when dSLR comes in. :devil:

Many ppl still think that lowering the pixel count can actually get more focal length, but the truth is that, if u zoom up these images to 100%, you'll notice that actually there's no actual increase in focal length.

This theory has been explained when FZ-30 came up with this idea.

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/panasonic/dmc_fz30-review/index.shtml

Many ppl still think that lowering the pixel count can actually get more focal length, but the truth is that, if u zoom up these images to 100%, you'll notice that actually there's no actual increase in focal length.

the 35mm equivalent focal length is directly related to the sensor's crop factor.
In some cameras, when you select a lower resolution, only the centre region of the full sensor is used, and thus the crop factor is increased, making the 35mm equivalent focal length increase as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.