HELP! Skin Tone problems with D7000 RAW files with Lightroom.

Blammm

Sep 13, 2010
West
I have a frustrating problem with my Skin Tones when processing my D7000 Raw files with Lightroom 3.4.
Before you guys mention about adjusting the camera profiles, saturation, white balance, yellows,orange and reds in HSL.
Yes, i've done it all. Most of the time i end up with a sick palish yellowish/orange tint on the skin tones instead of the redish pink glow that most of my JPEG are showing.

Picture 1 is a JPEG format straight from the camera. you'll notice the skin tone is just perfect pink and redish. camera color profile for JPEG was set to Standard.
DSC_9300.jpg

Picture 2 is a RAW format. Camera profile was set to Camera Vivid cause its is the only profile that is almost close but yet too far with the skin tone above. Exposure,contrast,brightness,WB and everything was set as it is.
DSC_9300-1.jpg

Can anyone help me with this problem???
Could there be any settings that i've might missed??
Any presets that might help???
Is Adobe Camera Raw having issue with D7000 Camera Profile???
This is just so frustrating i really need a good answer/solution.

so far not many people set to camera vivid for skintone

Firstly, inorder to get at least the color that you want...your subject has to be properly light-up.

Generally most Jpeg has already adjusted in-camera...so the color is more towards what is acceptable.
In Raw, some program like Photoshop or LR has its own profile during the loading...it may or may not change the color that is originally similar with Jpeg. The reason to shot Raw is to have flexibility so that the users can change what WB is needed. In most situation, Jpeg is good enough without much editing needed. Is up to us whether which is better in your workflow...

i know but if i put it to to adobe standard or camera standard it tends to become yellowish and orange.

this was set to adobe standard.
DSC_9300adbstd.jpg

this was set to camera standard.
DSC_9300cmrstd.jpg

There's some different in terms of loading with and without profile....even if you use another program it will show different color.
For simplicity, select what matches your needs and goes on. There's many adjustment you can do with PS or LR if need to change any of the setting.... color is very subjective topic.

yeah that's what i've been doing... tweaking the reds and the orange in HSL most of the time but its frustratingly time consuming. i was kind of hoping i did something wrong and there was another simple time saving solution.

Then Jpeg is what you want...save all the trouble.

If you want colors that match your camera JPEGs exactly, you should use Capture NX 2 instead. It will read all your camera settings and apply them to the RAW by default.

This is quite interesting. Anything to do with colour space settings on your adobe ? I shoot in vivid mode too for portrait/fashion, adjust exposure on capture nx2 and use photoshop for clean up. In the beginning, the colours doesnt seems to match up from capture nx2 to adobe, then I realised I had used a different colour space on adobe. Not sure if its the same problem.

after days of trial and error i finally manage to make a good raw preset almost similar with my jpeg. for my camera vivid profile in LR i pump up the shadow tint +10 towards the magenta side notice quite a big difference for the overall colors but the skin to was still abit off. then i decrease on the orange hues set my general exposure settings pump up a tiny bit on the saturation and vibrance. Set those setting as my default setting and bammmm everything looks pleasing though is a tad pinkish on the skintone but i'm just glad is doesn't look like sick and orangy like before. i guess the shadow tint on the camera profile tabs might be the culprit for my case cause it did make a big difference.... anyway thanks for your views guys if you have any more other methods that works for you please do share :)