Help required from 10D experts!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jim_boy

Jun 17, 2003
Visit site
Hi,

I've been playing with my Canon 10D for a few weeks now and discovered something which is a bit weird. Wonder if it's a common problem to all 10D users?!

The LCD always seems to be a few levels better in terms of exposure when I compare pics on the LCD with those downloaded into my computer.

For some images, I thought I had great shots but when I use my computer to view, these become underexposed! However the pics on the LCD look alright?!

I even tuned to the lowest brightness level for the LCD just to make sure that the brightness of the LCD is not misleading me.

Where does the problem lie? Please help!!!!

There is no problem. This is the way it is. Camera LCDs are never accurate exposure gauges as you've found out. Best is to learn to use the histogram.

Regards
CK

Originally posted by jim_boy
Hi,

I've been playing with my Canon 10D for a few weeks now and discovered something which is a bit weird. Wonder if it's a common problem to all 10D users?!

The LCD always seems to be a few levels better in terms of exposure when I compare pics on the LCD with those downloaded into my computer.

For some images, I thought I had great shots but when I use my computer to view, these become underexposed! However the pics on the LCD look alright?!

I even tuned to the lowest brightness level for the LCD just to make sure that the brightness of the LCD is not misleading me.

Where does the problem lie? Please help!!!!

you didnt calibrate your monitor...and given the fact that LCD are not displaying colours as readily as normal tubes its not a surprise

Originally posted by ckiang
There is no problem. This is the way it is. Camera LCDs are never accurate exposure gauges as you've found out. Best is to learn to use the histogram.

Regards
CK

How to use the histogram? :D

I have exactly the same complaint too for my 10D. I used to be a D30 user, didn't have such problem and could comfortably rely on the LCD preview screen every time, but not on 10D. I just can't rely on the preview screen anymore. :(

Initially I thought the default brightness of the 10D LCD is too high but even the brightness set to the minimum, it still gives misleading result.

Originally posted by raymond84
you didnt calibrate your monitor...

My monitor is calibrated with Spyder.

Originally posted by rty
I have exactly the same complaint too for my 10D. I used to be a D30 user, didn't have such problem and could comfortably rely on the LCD preview screen every time, but not on 10D. I just can't rely on the preview screen anymore. :(

Initially I thought the default brightness of the 10D LCD is too high but even the brightness set to the minimum, it still gives misleading result.

My monitor is calibrated with Spyder.

One is not supposed to judge exposure from the camera LCD. It's never quite accurate. I'd say even that of a 1D/1Ds will not be accurate, it's only there as a rough gauge, and the histogram is still the best tool to judge exposure.

Regards
CK

Most of the time canon camera LCD are quite misleading at showing the correct exposure. Just dun depend on it lor

Safest way is still to master proper photographic techniques. i only use lcd to check composition, never use the histrogram to check exposure before. its good to make mistake becos each time you make one, you learn something.

I find the histogram useful as well.

I also note that very often, when beginners say their pics are underexposed, they refer to a pic where the contrast range is way too high and the camera meter tries to hold the exposure for the highlights resulting everything else looking dark. The solution - recompose and lower the contrast.

Use histogram, never go wrong.
I had mine turn on for 4 sec so that after each shot, so that i can just sneak a quick look at it. didn't really bother with looking at the picture.
Only at the end of shoot, then perhaps look at pics to eliminate those with poor composition or unwanted ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.