Help on Gitzo 1226

Status
Not open for further replies.

ST1100

Jun 18, 2003
Singapore, Bedok
i got a gitzo 1226 recently. i'm finding the knobs very stiff. So stiff in fact that i got two blisters on my hand yesterday just practising setting up the tripod. :( The problem is that the lower knobs depend on the upper knobs to be tight before you can use them. In other words, though i try not to over-tighten, the top knobs must be of a minimum tightness for the tripod to lock.

Does anyone else have the same problem? Any solutions? TIA.

Although I have the same tripod , i don't face the same problem. However, you can try to completely unscrew the rubberized knobs and add some grease......that may help to smoothen things up. if it doesn't help, try making the knobs thicker by adding another rubber layer. I have another G415 that also needs to be tighten up pretty hard, but it is easier doing it as the knobs are larger.

Hong Sien

Thanx for the reply.

Grease? Any type of grease? i have vehicle grease, but that stuff is gross; i really don't want to put it in my Gitzo. Maybe i'll try a bit of Singer oil first.

How do you add another rubber layer? Is this a special service, or just wrap those badminton/tennis raquet grip around it?

I'm also havng the same problem..... with the 1228... tell me if u found a solution...

Originally posted by ST1100
Thanx for the reply.

Grease? Any type of grease? i have vehicle grease, but that stuff is gross; i really don't want to put it in my Gitzo. Maybe i'll try a bit of Singer oil first.

How do you add another rubber layer? Is this a special service, or just wrap those badminton/tennis raquet grip around it?

Hi,

I haven't tried it myself yet, but I guess the badminton tennis racket grips may work but won't last long, the glue that they use is just not strong enough. As in my case I just tighten it harder, yes it is tough but you get tougher palms too :)

As for the grease, try to use a similar kind of grease, the original grease is grey coloured and it is quite a fine type....it is the same as used inside the helicoid for lenses..maybe can ask those repairshops where to buy it, or ask them to sell you some of it, you don't need much anyway.
The problem is that Gitzo has changed the internal design of the rubber knobs, although it occurs sometimes with the older tripods too. The compressed paperlike ring inside that does the locking has been changed several times during their designs.

Good luck!

Hong Sien

Status
Not open for further replies.