help on DSLR exposure technique

Status
Not open for further replies.

czyreil

Jan 29, 2007
Hi,

I just switched to a DSLR from a bridge cam. Last time I find it so easy (almost) to get proper exposures because there's a live histogram to assist me. Can those DSLR experts give some advice on how to gauge good exposures before taking the actual picture?

Thanks.

learn to meter the "correct" spot when using center/spot metering
otherwise just use matrix metering, most of the time correct

Hi,

Thanks for the links. Quite funny now I'm really so helpless using the DSLR. I feel like I'm going backward. Now no live histogram, doesn't highlight over-exposed part of frame, half press doesn't show the target outcome of pic.

Just ignore if I sound a bit stupid :embrass: :bsmilie:

sell your DSLR and buy the oly E410 coming out in late April. Comes with Live histogram.

Else, just shoot and review the picture on LCD. Quite a few DSLRs is able show the histogram in record review which is very convenient. Basically, the histogram appear right after taking a picture.

Hi,

Thanks for the links. Quite funny now I'm really so helpless using the DSLR. I feel like I'm going backward. Now no live histogram, doesn't highlight over-exposed part of frame, half press doesn't show the target outcome of pic.

Just ignore if I sound a bit stupid :embrass: :bsmilie:
No worries. Its always important to understand the fundamentals and work within the limits of your equipment. Pick up some photography books from the library or resources from the internet. Especially books refering to SLR photography. Read your manual to understand the camera you have. Look for the part on exposure and manual controls.

As for me, I usually refer to the metering bar in the viewfinder to determine if the photo will be properly exposed. Then I compose and take a shot to check from the LCD. I guess it comes from having used film SLR before, where you do not have the luxury of live preview or post preview. You learn about how the camera function instead.

Shoot in RAW

Bro. what camera are you using? For the canon EOS series if i'm not wrong, there are functions to highlight the over exposed portions

A good starting point is to read the manual.

Bro. what camera are you using? For the canon EOS series if i'm not wrong, there are functions to highlight the over exposed portions

I'm using 400D. Yup, it highlights the over exposed part. But only after taking the photo.

Status
Not open for further replies.