Help!: No sound from external left speaker of PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

David

Deregistered
Mar 21, 2002
Visit site
I need help here!!

The external left speaker of my PC suddenly produced no sound some weeks back. At first, I thought the old speaker has konked off. So bought a pair of new Creative speakers. After connecting, I realized the problem persists!!

Is the fault due to my computer? If so, what could it be? :dunno:

Would be grateful for any help!!! TIA...

goto volume, or speaker settings.

See if the main fader or any of the other playback faders r panned hard right?

Or it could be ur soundcard output, the connector for the left channel has gone kaput.

I've checked the old and new speakers with my MP3 player. Indeed they worked!!! SIGH....

So it's my sound card that I got to change?

Darn... Paid $89 for nothing. Now 1 pair of extra speakers. Anyone wants to buy over? I got receipt to show it's just bought TODAY. Negotiable price. Model is Creative I-Trigue 2200 as advertised in papers recently.

David said:
So it's my sound card that I got to change?
may not be.

did u check the sound mixer properties?

The master volume maybe panned to the right, thus the left channel does not have sound.

markccm said:
may not be.

did u check the sound mixer properties?

The master volume maybe panned to the right, thus the left channel does not have sound.

Yah I did. Everything is normal there. So should it be the soundcard? I hope not to make another boo-boo purchase!

Creative Audigy 2 good huh? Roughly how much? Any better ones?

What's a Digidesign 002? Never heard of it leh!

David said:
Yah I did. Everything is normal there. So should it be the soundcard? I hope not to make another boo-boo purchase!

You should be able to check if it could be the soundcard that is giving you the problem by reversing your output wirings of your speakers if you are using a sound card with those RCA jacks ( like your typical hifi jacks). Reversing it will check to see if your speakers are working. And if your speakers are working then it could be your output socket or the card that is faulty. If it is one with those stereo mini jack like your CD or Mp3 headset then try this little trick while you are playing a song on your PC, you pull out the jack half way out of the socket, just and try to get it so see if you still get sound to come out through both speakers. This also will check if both your speakers are working.Anyway since you have bought another pair of speakers and you still have the same problem then your soundcard is the culprit.

In case you have not tried this....there is no harm in checking the software side of your soundcard. Double click the mini speaker icon in the bottom right corner of your screen to bring up the audio controller. When this audio control window comes up. Look at all the top portion of each input and output which deals with the issue of audio balance for both right and left speakers. See if maybe for some reason the main balance or each of the balance control of each output has been slanted to either extreme causing the soundcard to send audio signals to only one of your speaker instead of both.

If that is fine, the other one would be to check the player you use(like WINAMP) to play your mp3. Check again to see if the balancer is off to one end of the speaker choice or in the middle. If your Window OS itself has some default sound like when you start up WIN or some error occur and Windows makes an audible sound, can you hear it coming from both the speakers?

If you have another PC, take out this soundcard and place it inside the other PC to check and see if it works.

Another is to check by pulling out the sound card and cleaning the contact abit and replacing it back in its slot or change to another slot. Might be a defective slot or dirty contact.

It could still be a software glitch so maybe you could try uninstalling your sound card and reinstall it again to see if it solves the problem. Though rare ( it did happen to me before) but sometime if you have just install some new game or some other stuff to your system, it might have some conflict with them to cause this problem. IF you can find any patch for your soundcard to bring it more up to date it would help too. All this are basically ways you can use to check your soundcard as best as you can before plopping dowm more hard $$$$ to buy another card and make the same mistake you did with your speakers.

Just my two cents :)

Hi Sammy! WOW, thanks for the detailed advice! Yah I did most of the advice you've mentioned and it didn't work. I'm now pinning the fault on the sound card (better be!) The thing is, I never installed anything new or opened the computer or anything like that recently. The music I listen to was working very well in the past many months until 1 day, I realized only the right speaker was churning out the sound. The left speaker sounded silent but had a very low audible noise coming out from it.

Anyway, I've gotten the Audigy2 zs... will try it out tonite. Better work!! *cross fingers*

Adam Goi said:
Time to get an Audigy 2!

Buy Buy Buy! :bsmilie:

I got an Audigy 2 but my rear speaker never switch on. What a waste...
But I must audigy 2 is a very good sound card... So
Buy Buy Buy :D

David said:
Creative Audigy 2 good huh? Roughly how much? Any better ones?

Audigy 4...hahaha. Haven't tried that yet...

David said:
Its a professional audio hardware/software.
Digital Audio Workstation.

It will leave Creative lying in the dust :bsmilie:

markccm said:
Its a professional audio hardware/software.
Digital Audio Workstation.

It will leave Creative lying in the dust :bsmilie:

Aiyoh, then in that case, I think it's an overkill for me.

I'm going to install the Audigy soon. In fact I think the basic Audigy 2 is more than enuff for me but I got the 'zs' version (more expensive) that supports THX sound. I'm only using 2 speakers! But my friend said, ah what the heck, never know when you're going to upgrade speakers so might as well get something a little better for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.