Help needed for my lens

dangrax

Jun 16, 2010
Hi

I have a 70-300 VRII Lens with me. However, yesterday during a photoshoot i realised that when i on the camera and turn the lens beyond 135MM, the lens would start vibrating and it would produce some mechanical sound. Thus, after the shoot i tried to do some fault finding and realised this vibration will occur everytime i turn the camera on and off again. However, after vibrating for a few seconds, it will stop and the lens would work as normal. Eliminated the fact that it is the camera's problem as the same thing happened when i tried on my friend's D700.

So just wish to find out if anyone has the same problem before and will it lead to greater problems in the future? It would be great also if someone can tell me which part of the lens is faulty based on their own experience. Thanks!!

Should be the VR mechanism kicking in. Try switching the VR to "off" and the "vibrations" will be gone.

It's advisable not to switch off the camera when the VR is still in operation. I usually wait till the metering is switched off before turning off the camera with a VR lens.

Hi

Thanks for the advice. But I am not very sure what you know by waiting for the metering to off. Sorry if this seems like a noob question, but from what I know metering is the adjustment of the mode on where I my camera and how i want my camera wants to focus. However, I had never heard of anything related to switching off of the camera metering.

In addition, I followed your advice to try switching the VR off and it worked. However, after I on the camera and then on the VR following that, the vibrations came about again.

Hi

I have a 70-300 VRII Lens with me. However, yesterday during a photoshoot i realised that when i on the camera and turn the lens beyond 135MM, the lens would start vibrating and it would produce some mechanical sound. Thus, after the shoot i tried to do some fault finding and realised this vibration will occur everytime i turn the camera on and off again. However, after vibrating for a few seconds, it will stop and the lens would work as normal. Eliminated the fact that it is the camera's problem as the same thing happened when i tried on my friend's D700.

So just wish to find out if anyone has the same problem before and will it lead to greater problems in the future? It would be great also if someone can tell me which part of the lens is faulty based on their own experience. Thanks!!

It is normal. It is the VR starting up.

Hi

Thanks for the advice. But I am not very sure what you know by waiting for the metering to off. Sorry if this seems like a noob question, but from what I know metering is the adjustment of the mode on where I my camera and how i want my camera wants to focus. However, I had never heard of anything related to switching off of the camera metering.

In addition, I followed your advice to try switching the VR off and it worked. However, after I on the camera and then on the VR following that, the vibrations came about again.

Totally no issue la. It's just a soft mechanical clicking or swirling sound. Goes to show your VR component in the lens is working. You should be glad that your VR works.

Remembered reading this when I got my 70-300mm VR previously. The 70-300mm VR lens manual states,
“Do not turn the camera power OFF or remove the lens from the camera while the vibration reduction mode is in operation. (Otherwise, the lens may emit a chattering noise if the camera is shaken. This is not a malfunction. Turn the camera power ON again to correct this.)”

HTH.

Should be the VR mechanism kicking in. Try switching the VR to "off" and the "vibrations" will be gone.

It's advisable not to switch off the camera when the VR is still in operation. I usually wait till the metering is switched off before turning off the camera with a VR lens.

Hi

I think you meant to say "... I am not very sure what you meant by waiting for the metering to off...." ??

Anyway, when you half-press the shutter release, usually the camera "wakes up".
If you are in one of the automated modes, for example, pointing the camera (with lens uncovered) at different areas will cause the values to change. After maybe 10 to 20s, the values go off... this is when the metering stops as well, waiting for you to half-press the shutter release again.

That's roughly the time that the VR mechanism stops operation, from my observation. My "meter off" is set to 8secs.

Remembered reading this when I got my 70-300mm VR previously. The 70-300mm VR lens manual states,

“Do not turn the camera power OFF or remove the lens from the camera while the vibration reduction mode is in operation. (Otherwise, the lens may emit a chattering noise if the camera is shaken. This is not a malfunction. Turn the camera power ON again to correct this.)”

HTH.

That's roughly the time that the VR mechanism stops operation, from my observation. My "meter off" is set to 8secs.

Luckily this is not a malfunction. I have a habit of turning off the cam after I captured a photo, to save batt life. Or else my VR unit would have spoilt :bsmilie:

It won't spoil, but I'd gather that the chattering noise means the VR mechanism wasn't in it's "parked" position. A few seconds of battery life is nothing compared to a S$700-800 lens.