Help needed for choosing flash..

hamburger

Jun 19, 2011
Hi Seniors,

I'm thinking of getting a external flash for my D7000 but not sure which will be a better choice. I tried to read up their specifications online but I'm too stupid to understand. Basically I'm looking for something that allows me to take night portraits, concert etc. Which Flash will you guys recommend and why?

ermm u sure concerts can bring it in ah? i tot most dun allow? anw if ur standing too far the flash can't reach the stage either.

Depends on your usage but a SB-600/700 will suffice. Can check out the nissin models if ur on a budget.

hamburger said:
Hi Seniors,

I'm thinking of getting a external flash for my D7000 but not sure which will be a better choice. I tried to read up their specifications online but I'm too stupid to understand. Basically I'm looking for something that allows me to take night portraits, concert etc. Which Flash will you guys recommend and why?

What is your budget?

got budget = sb900 =D.. low budget = Yongnuo or nissin

Hmm... for me, get the most powerful you can afford that can swivel and tilt at the bare minimum.

Power - so you don't have to worry about your flash "not being strong enough". Stronger flashes can be configured to fire a weaker flash.
Tilt & Swivel - So you can bounce the light and you're not restricted to firing it straight to your subjects' faces

TTL is optional, but will make your life a lot easier.

After that invest on buying material/equipment that will allow you to control that light (i.e. wireless triggers, diffusers, bounce cards, etc). But you'll have to research/understand how those equipments affect your light.

Also read up on how flash affects your exposure.

Strobist is a good website to learn about flash techniques and equipment

Personally, I found this article useful when it discussed how lighting affected the same subject using different equipments and angles.

As for concerts, I don't think there's a flash strong enough to light up the performers on stage from the audience box...

Last edited:
Don't buy 3rd party flashes, a little more and you can buy an sb-600. But if you have more budget then you can get more High end flashes like the SB-700/800/900.

Also try reading up on diffusers. Capturing photos with straight flash is equal to built-in flash.

Lastly read up on how flash works. This is a great video and it's easy to understand.

[video=youtube;SHpmd0-1ZyE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?nomobile=1&v=SHpmd0-1ZyE[/video]

Don't buy 3rd party flashes, a little more and you can buy an sb-600. But if you have more budget then you can get more High end flashes like the SB-700/800/900.

Also try reading up on diffusers. Capturing photos with straight flash is equal to built-in flash.

Lastly read up on how flash works. This is a great video and it's easy to understand.

Just curious, why are you recommending against third party flashguns?

I believe for beginner 3rd party flash like nissin should be good due to it's ease of use. Nikon flash is good when u want more funtions like CLS lighting, high speed sync etc.

So are Nikon flash better than the 3rd party flash? Whats ttl? My budget's like 300 to 400 but I'll most probably be getting a second flash for the moment...

So are Nikon flash better than the 3rd party flash?

What I understand is the Nikon flash might have more features (TTL, high speed sync) but what you really just need is a strong flash burst and the ability to control where it's coming from, which you can make do with a cheap 3rd-party flash + some modifiers. Additional features are there to make your job easier, but they're not essential that you can't make do without them.

Can anybody explain to be why one should stay away from 3rd party flashes?

Whats ttl? My budget's like 300 to 400 but I'll most probably be getting a second flash for the moment...

TTL is a feature of flashguns where it allows the camera to control the flash power depending on the situation. It's like autofocus. With it, you let the camera worry about focusing for you. If you turn it off, you have to focus on your own. Same principle. With TTL, you let the camera control the power of the flash while in manual mode you have to input the flash power manually. Or at least, that's what I understand. The Nikon flashes have that feature. For 3rd party, I think Nissin has it but only for specific models. You'll have to check.

Anyway... Watching the video Sgdevilzz posted, it encourages one to use full manual on the flash and camera... I don't really see how third party flashes should not be recommended. Instead if you're going to use it manual, you should be buying third party flashes for the price to power ratio

Anyway... Watching the video Sgdevilzz posted, it encourages one to use full manual on the flash and camera... I don't really see how third party flashes should not be recommended. Instead if you're going to use it manual, you should be buying third party flashes for the price to power ratio

I never even owned a TTL flash yet. Way out of my budget. lol x.x

I never even owned a TTL flash yet. Way out of my budget. lol x.x

Yongnuo cheapo ones aren't that expensive! But looking at it makes me not want to buy it lol The build is rubbish compared to their 560

I don't use a C/N so their TTL don't work for me. Hahaha

In any case. I'm sort of used to manual anyway already.

Waa so many KPO ah :bsmilie:

No particular reason. It's just that just by saving a little more you can buy the original rather than buying 3rd party and then changing to Nikon's. It's just my own preferences. I prefer Original for flashguns.

No particular reason. It's just that just by saving a little more you can buy the original rather than buying 3rd party and then changing to Nikon's. It's just my own preferences. I prefer Original for flashguns.

Everyone has their preferences I guess...
I don't really use the extra functions in the originals so I can buy 6 yongnuos with the money instead! =X

Sgdevilzz said:

I have no idea what kpo is so i'll just ignore that statement. :bsmilie:

I asked because I am genuinely curious why you'd recommend it. There may be some reason I don't know.

To me, the camera/flash/whatever is just a tool. I gauge a tool by its effectiveness, not by the name it carries. The second article in my first post shows the effects of knowing how your flash works. The last picture is arguably the most beautiful one, but it was done without any flash modifier. Yet you still see people buying diffusers, light spheres, etc. nothing wrong with that, but you have to know why you're buying it.

Same thing. If I have to buy a branded, more expensive flash, I have to know why it is better. What features it offers over the cheaper third party. That way I can make a decision if that extra cash is worth it. I want a tangible benefit and not just so I can say "i own all original stuff".

Now if that's your preference, that's fine. But for giving advice to a newbie you will have to justify yourself as well. If a pro racer just says go buy car x and you can be pro, will you just say ok? You'll still wanna know why.

Sgdevilzz said:

Sometimes it's not a little more. For the same range it could be double to triple the price to get an original one.