Help needed..Canon 450D or Cannon 40D

Status
Not open for further replies.

vipercrow

Aug 15, 2008
Hello, i like to ask what is the different between Canon Eos 450D and Canon Eos 40D in terms of function?Which is better in capturing night scene?I am a beginner trying to start off photographing.Can you all help me to choose which camera is better for me?:)

Hello, i like to ask what is the different between Canon Eos 450D and Canon Eos 40D in terms of function?Which is better in capturing night scene?I am a beginner trying to start off photographing.Can you all help me to choose which camera is better for me?:)

40D better +++.

40D would be much better..... but of course, more $$$$. :sweat:

haha..for a normal shot,does lens EF S17-85 IS USM good enough to capture photo?what other recommendation of lens do i need?:dunno:

If your budget prohibits, take the EOS 450D. There has already been countless threads on the comparision between the 2 and 3 series of EOS for beginners.

My take is, if you have the budget - take the 40D. The ergonomic is greatly better than the 450D and the performance is way better. i.e 6.5fps vs 3.5 for 450d.
Analogy is, choosing between the BMW 3 and 5 series is your choice.

For reference, you can read this (old) threads of the then-new 400D vs 30D. Even though both are old models now the factors are almost the same.

Thread 1
Thread 2
Thread 3
Thread 4 (400D vs 40D)

For me, i've picked a 2 series body over a 3, and today i have never ever regretted my choice even though it's an 2nd hand set. Hell, even a 7 year old EOS 1D can outperform the new EOS 450D in certain factors :bsmilie:

Last edited:
haha..for a normal shot,does lens EF S17-85 IS USM good enough to capture photo?what other recommendation of lens do i need?:dunno:

If you are planning to shoot WA(Wide Angle) most of the time, i do not recommend this lens as the distortion is quite bad at the 17mm range. However it does suffice as an average walkabout len though.

Therefore, i recommend that you take the Tamron 17-50mm F/2.8 instead as it does not have any distortion problems and the F/2.8 aperture is handy for low lighting shots. It's quite a popular lens for upgrade/alternative from the Kit Lens too.

Last edited:
If you are planning to shoot WA(Wide Angle) most of the time, i do not recommend this lens as the distortion is quite bad at the 17mm range. However it does suffice as an average walkabout len though.

Therefore, i recommend that you take the Tamron 17-50mm F/2.8 instead as it does not have any distortion problems and the F/2.8 aperture is handy for low lighting shots. It's quite a popular lens for upgrade/alternative from the Kit Lens too.

Yeap or the 17-40mm f/4L

which is better in capturing a night scene? neither, a tripod is your best friend for that..

For night scene nothing to do with camera. Tripod is the only way if you want good night scenes lol. Camera wise, both take good quality pictures with 40D being a more sturdy and easier to handle but bigger with more weight.

Looks like it is comparing the Father (40D) & the son(450D). The more $$$ would produce better image result.... :dunno:

Both cameras are undoubtedly great cameras. One caters more to entry-level and the other is targeting the semi-pro market. Both are easy to learn with and have almost similar functionality. But in terms of ergonomics and build quality, for me at least, the 40D wins hands down. I'd rather you get the 18-55IS kit bundle rather than the 17-85IS as the 18-55IS is sharper than the 17-85IS.

Thank for all your replies.now i understand the differences between two of them.By the way, i like to ask one more question.What is the lens number represent and what does EF represent?:dunno:

Thank for all your replies.now i understand the differences between two of them.By the way, i like to ask one more question.What is the lens number represent and what does EF represent?:dunno:

The Lens number represent the focal range of the lens. Higher number means more zoom while lower means wider angle(wide angle).Prime lens, denoted by a single no. only(i.e 50mm) are lens who do not have any zoom functions but male up for that with the fast and big aperture.

EF is the lens mount standard for the EOS dSLRs

Status
Not open for further replies.