Help me guys i'm in a dilemma!!!

Marcus Chai

Oct 9, 2015
Christmas is around the corner and i've been wondering...

1. Should i switch gears from nikon system to canon however i still have my Nikon DX lenses laying around

2. If yes to question 1 then which camera should i get? Between a 6D or 7D Mark II ( if i have funds i'll get 5D MarkIII)

3. If no question 1 then should i upgrade to fullframe as my previous gear was D3200 or should i get something like a D7200?

4. Is second hand really that worth it for any cameras out there?

Please help me out here! Currently shooting with canon system because i'm borrowing my friends 6D and fell totally in love with canon system...

I shoot mostly landscapes, events D&D photos :)

What is it in your friend's 6D that drew u to like it? Nikon might have it in other models.
How many dx lenses u already have?

What is it in your friend's 6D that drew u to like it? Nikon might have it in other models.
How many dx lenses u already have?

Well firstly from a simple crop lens to ff canon lens the image is so different. The colors in canon is sort of different I feel? Is it just me or is canon image more clean..

I have 3 DX lens from Nikon :)

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus

D3200 is a fairly basic model. So of course mid-range bodies like the 6D are going to be more responsive and boast more direct controls. I'd suggest you try a higher end Nikon DX body like the D7100/D7200. It's relatively inexpensive to rent.

Colour differences might be down to something as simple as Picture Style settings.

As like what the pros here may say... May I know your reason for upgrading? What exactly makes you fall in love with Canon system?

For landscapes, I assume you'll play a lot with dynamic range. It is quite well known that most Nikon or Sony sensors are better compared to Canon in terms of DR.

You can go to Flickr.com/ffxxf to view my photos, all the recent ones were using 6D 24-35 F/2.8 while the first two photos are from my Nikon prime lens..

I am done with DX or any crop camera for now (and maybe for good) that is all I am saying... :)

Your DX lenses won't cover the FF image circle, right?

Its entirely up to you, though I don't see why you should not just consider a D610.
At least your DX lenses still work in crop mode.

However, imho, if you already have the relevant focal length of lenses for aps-c and don't need shallower DOF, just get a D7200.
Even then, for just stopped down landscape work at low ISO, that difference isn't that big for most real use purposes.

Last edited:
You can go to Flickr.com/ffxxf to view my photos, all the recent ones were using 6D 24-35 F/2.8 while the first two photos are from my Nikon prime lens..

no difference also. switch for what. lol

Switch if you prefer the Canon system. Sell all the Nikon gear, since it won't be useful thereafter.

Before you spend thousands of dollar on upgrading to a new camera system like FX from DX or from Canon to Nikon. I am not sure if you are using saved up cash or other means to support this venture. It's a big investment and making the right choice plays a bit part or you might regret it later and wishing you did not spend that money away. The manner which I read your message, how you wrote and trying to understand your rationale, observation or motivation to upgrade, I get the impression, you are still relatively new or have not really taken photography really seriously or have not spend enough time with what you own enough to understand the fundamental and appreciate what your camera really can do or what other cameras can do depending on what you pay at various price point for each model of cameras.

To some extend you are comparing Apple to Oranges. Not about brands but DX and FX formats. Within each format, differences in quality and options changes depending on the price point.of each successive models. But even then it can be incrementally better. When you compare your own DX DSLR to the FX you borrowed, of course you are going to see a mark improvement. Without trying a similar price point FX from Nikon, you are misguided to think the Canon is better all because it's FX or it's Canon. That is so far from true heheh.

Before you spend a lot of hard earn cash, good to see what others will advice but watch out for white noise in the advice's too. As not all views are neutral. That is to be expected in a forum. I say, go further beyond CS for answers or helpful tips. From your photos I can see you should be good enough to take test shots yourself to evaluate. Invest a few dollars renting something of equal quality and standard to the Canon 6D since you like that quality but from Nikon's range ( Like the D610) to see what you think of colors, resolution and functionality...etc Try also using your existing DX lens on the FX body and switch the DSLR to DX crop mode. FX bodys cost more and FX Lens are just as pricey for the good ones. So you might want to have your DX around to use for a while if you need to buy your gear in parts.

You can rent so easily these day to do your own testing. Also don;t just shoot in one color mode. You do know you can set a few variation of color space mode like more saturation, more skin tone..etc. Some time you might actually be on the wrong color setting that is why something your friend set on his 6D now seem to look so wonderful heh But in actual fact, your own camera could have gotten you the same colors as what you see in the 6D or allow you to tweak close to it.

We can tell you stuff till we are blue in the face but they would reflect our personal scope of knowledge, preferences and yes even BIAS. It means nothing if you are not convinced and possibly ending up more confused with you buying something you realized is not for you. Or you bought it but hardly can justify the higher price for your new system since you seldom use it. heh. Heart break leh to see something so good collecting dust and dropping in value as it age :)

YouTube have so many good videos on photography, have lots of technical, product reviews and tutorial guides introducing you to sensor formats pro and cons, resolution, color spaces depending on camera brand ...etc. Waiting in CS for someone to write may or may not help you extensively. Especially if we use technical terms alien to you, the more you read, the more confuse you get heh. YouTube are visual videos. Covering subject from basic to advance on even buying tips. Just be sure to read more then a few reviews of the same camera gear so you can work out what are bias marketing talk and what are facts.

You need to understand fundamental of not just shooting but get some good idea about camera gear. Without that, you are not going to come to a firm or correct choice for you. Yes paying the most money will get you the best quality shot (but to a point too depending on also on your experience skill but if you are not serious about photography, you are not going to make it worth your while 'over' paying for a gear once the excitement of owning a new toy is past the honeymoon period.

As you are willing to invest even more money into the hobby so must you invest a lot more time and effort to getting better at shooting and knowing the equipment. If you buy a good camera and you put it to PROGRAM MODE... I say, best you stick to what you already own.

Last edited:
Reactions: DSolZ
Get the Canon 6D.

Christmas in round the corner and year-end bonus paid. Best time to consider "upgrading" If you are prepared to spend $4000 on a system change, and your heart feels that way, just do it. :)

Before you spend thousands of dollar on upgrading to a new camera system like FX from DX or from Canon to Nikon. I am not sure if you are using saved up cash or other means to support this venture. It's a big investment and making the right choice plays a bit part or you might regret it later. And wish you did not spend that money away. The manner that I read how you write and some rationale on your observation or motivation to upgrade. You are someone who has not been really seriously playing with cameras or have not spend enough time with what you own enough to understand the fundamental to appreciate what your camera can do or what other cameras can do. To some extend you are also comparing Apple to Oranges. Not the brands. But the format of DX and FX and also the difference in price point of the camera, as in what you own and what you borrow to use. Before you spend more, good to see what others will offer as advice but I would go further to say, to be sure, invest in a few dollars to go trying something of equal quality and standard to the Canon 6D from the Nikon range to see what you think of the colors, resolution and functionality. You can do this so easy thee day by renting a body over a few days or a day to shoot about. We can tell you till we are blue in the face our personal preferences but it is nothing if you are not convince of what you want for you in the end. YouTube have so many good videos to teach you about the both those formats pro and cons, color spaces depending on camera brand ...etc. If you can not wait for information to come in or seem confusing reading text, YouTube has many videos covering done visually that might help you understand clearer. You need to understand the fundamental of shooting and camera gear. Without that, you are not going to come to a firm choice for you.
really sound advice. Thumbs up and I suggest this should be a sticky!👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

Thank you all for your replies, gonna slowly discover more on my side...maybe I'm just blinded by the beauty of FF right now compared to what I'm normally using

Thank you all for your replies, gonna slowly discover more on my side...maybe I'm just blinded by the beauty of FF right now compared to what I'm normally using

I would say that quite many people will be tempted by the "full frame" when they do not own it. But after they own it, they might realize that they don't need one, since it's usually not the issue of the camera.

And, switching from crop body lenses to full frame lenses already is a huge cost, let alone switching system.

Landscape, camera on tripod, iso100, most modern ones perform similarly.

Dnd, a flast gun helps more than a large aperture lens. In fact, sometimes large aperture lens gives me more problem... Lack of dof.

Some ppl just wan to be hao lian, so they insist on buying FF.

I always like to give analogy of buying swimming trucks. Whatever trucks u buy for swimming, its not going to make u swim faster and better.

The only difference it will make is to make u look better.

Can swim, means can swim. No trucks ain't gonna to help u swim.

It's Christmas time, a time to give and share.

To TS, fork out the money to go for Full Frame if you want people to look at your camera.

Fork out the money to attend some courses, or put some efforts in learning and practising photography if you want people to look at your photos.

The choice is yours, and it is not hard to decide what you really want.