Help, AV mode problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

blithevincent

Jul 13, 2006
Just bought 350D (with kit lens), was trying to set Aperture to 3.5 at AV mode, but failed. The maximum I can set to is only 4.0? Why? Did I do something wrong?
pls help:embrass:

blithevincent said:
Just bought 350D (with kit lens), was trying to set Aperture to 3.5 at AV mode, but failed. The maximum I can set to is only 4.0? Why? Did I do something wrong?

hmm.. Kit lens eh? What's the focal length it's set on? :think:

Try setting at 18mm, i think should be able to give u f/3.5,
can't rem specs tho' coz i sold my EF-S 18-55mm a few months back..

blithevincent said:

you are at a longer focal length. if you go down to 18mm or thereabouts, you should be able to hit 3.5

Yes. The bigger apertures usually applies to the wider angles, eg 18mm at f3.5. As you zoom in into telephoto, the max aperture gets smaller until at 55mm you can only get f4.5. Hence the range f3.5-4.5.

For lenses, check if the specs written for the F-stop is a range, i.e. f3.5-4.5, that means the maximum apperture varies starting from 3.5 downto 4.5 as you set the focal length from minimum to maximum. When you see that the F-stop specs of the lens is stated as constant, i.e. 24-105 F4 L IS USM, this means that it is able to do a constant apperture of F4 from mimum focal length to maximum, i.e. 24mm gives F4, 35mm gives F4, 105mm gives F4.

Thanks guy, understood and tried OK. :embrass:

blithevincent said:
Thanks guy, understood and tried OK. :embrass:
Great. Now git yo'self some 'L' lens baby....hehehe

just kidding... Happy SNAPping!

Status
Not open for further replies.