hello hello

Status
Not open for further replies.

d3faultuser

Aug 18, 2006
hello to all.. eh actually been catching up on this site for pretty long n reading the forum. :) but only officially join today la ;) just a little intro la, pretty like photography but nv really get serious with it though i attended sub classes on photography in poly. many things already slipped off my mind so literally a newb once again. :D so will need help and guidance along the way :)

well, actually needa some advise. been wanting to get a cam, was thinking.. should i get P&S or DSLR to start with. (been taking pics with family cam P&S 3mp) ok.. what i like to shoot. basically, everything ard me? i prefer to speak thru what i take haha. ok seriously, i love to take night scenes ie lighting/buildings, nature ie sunrise/sunset.. everyday life like pple on the streets.. i like to picture things at their most natural way, not a snapshot, but a shot that captures the feel n the moment. er yah, in short, i go for the feeling of the pic.

hahha, er if dun understand what im saying then nvm.. lol.yah that bout it. hehe budget wise.. 600-800 la. though working liao still nt loaded as for now. hehe actually looking fwd to the upcoming IT fair. not sure if they having any good deals.. hmmm any advises as for now? sorry abit lor sor la.. :D cheers!

d3faultuser said:
hello to all.. eh actually been catching up on this site for pretty long n reading the forum. :) but only officially join today la ;) just a little intro la, pretty like photography but nv really get serious with it though i attended sub classes on photography in poly. many things already slipped off my mind so literally a newb once again. :D so will need help and guidance along the way :)

well, actually needa some advise. been wanting to get a cam, was thinking.. should i get P&S or DSLR to start with. (been taking pics with family cam P&S 3mp) ok.. what i like to shoot. basically, everything ard me? i prefer to speak thru what i take haha. ok seriously, i love to take night scenes ie lighting/buildings, nature ie sunrise/sunset.. everyday life like pple on the streets.. i like to picture things at their most natural way, not a snapshot, but a shot that captures the feel n the moment. er yah, in short, i go for the feeling of the pic.

hahha, er if dun understand what im saying then nvm.. lol.yah that bout it. hehe budget wise.. 600-800 la. though working liao still nt loaded as for now. hehe actually looking fwd to the upcoming IT fair. not sure if they having any good deals.. hmmm any advises as for now? sorry abit lor sor la.. :D cheers!

A SLR would be the cest way to go actually. Be it film or digital, you would be able to get more out of it by the choices of the settings and functions available.

But do be careful about your budget allocation as a SLR choice mean quite a lot more hidden costs for other optional extras which you will definitely get along the way as you progress onwards. Flash guns, other lenses, body grips, tripods, etc...

Think about it carefully. You already have the budget for a PnS, but for night shooting and scenes, it may not work as well as a SLR.

Cheers,

Don't get DSLR first...
save up $$ and get it all the :thumbsup: ones at one shot!
that is the time you will enjoy!

hehe thanks for the advises! :D will consider.. will do.. hehe well yah budget ard there was thinking of getting P&S but what draws me to DSLRs is my passion for night scenes la.. hehe know of the hidden cost behind all thats why thinking twice with my limited expenses! lol btw can someone tell me whats a 'prosumer' camera? only heard bout P&S n DSLR....

Budget definitely not enough for a DSLR set up.

Many newbies just think about the cost of the DSLR body but forgot about the costs of lenses which, in total, will eventually cost more than the body.

Fuji F30 would be a good P&S for night shots with its extremely good low noise performance at high ISO.

Prosumers cams like Canon S3 IS or Panasonic FZ7 would also be good choices to start with because of their long zooms but noise at high ISO would be a problem.

Check the F30 out here in this thread (very impressive night shots performance) : http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=203292

Check out this Canon S1/S2/S3 thread : http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=204520

For Panasonic, you may check out Clubsnap's Panasonic subforum for FZ5/FZ7 : http://forums.clubsnap.org/forumdisplay.php?f=74

Hi,

Welcome buddy. Actually, given your budget, you may want to consider a @nd hand prosumer camera or film SLR first. But do consider that if you are getting a film SLR, film developing may be a cost factor but you could save your lens from your film SLR for your DSLR in the future.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Hi, Welcome to the big family. I would suggest that you get a prosumer camera first or a 2nd hand DSLR. You can check out the B&S section to see if there is any deal to fit your bill.

clock under, thanks for the recommendation. have already checked out Fuji F30 thread as u've linked. hehe opened up more choices for me if im getting a P&S cam! thanks

had thought of getting 2nd hand SLR first, however.. its the film developing thats making me think twice. as what my fren says.. lol more expensive, however learn the hard way n u'll learn faster (in skills n techniques). as u have to save $$ due to film developing .. hmm is that the case? hehe

had also thought of 2nd hand DSLR. however just asking.. is 2nd hand slr/dslr reliable?

d3faultuser said:
had thought of getting 2nd hand SLR first, however.. its the film developing thats making me think twice. as what my fren says.. lol more expensive, however learn the hard way n u'll learn faster (in skills n techniques). as u have to save $$ due to film developing .. hmm is that the case? hehe

had also thought of 2nd hand DSLR. however just asking.. is 2nd hand slr/dslr reliable?

If you are getting from a fellow CSer it should be quite alright as most CSers take good care of their babies. 2nd hand SLRs are very, very cheap now, so just need to spend $$$ on film and developing of the films.

hmm okie.. anyway hehe thanks for the advises! :) well today laid my hands on a SLR.. hehe pretty old i guess but i guess hehe at least can play ard with it first. figure things out! hehe currently still reading books to enhance my knowledge n hehe trying things out. hehe *quite happy* btw ive another qns. what's CF? and purpose? being going thru the forum today... hmm .. hehe really a newb hehe such simple stuff also dunno. can someone teach this sotong here? thanks ;)

i see i see.. okok.. thanks.. then er what IMO? hmmm..

d3faultuser said:
i see i see.. okok.. thanks.. then er what IMO? hmmm..

IMO = In My Opinion

more abbreviations answer can be found in Google.

As for prosumer cams, they are the higher level of PnS cams with better functions, but lack the ability to change lenses like the SLRs.

Do consider about the film SLRs. The cost of film developing can be brought down by developing only and scanning the film into digital. (instead of developing them into prints) Also as there is a cost per click factor, you would tend to compose better and really learn the correct way of exposures. This however comes at an expense of time, you can't really be sure of the shot until you see it much later.

If you wanna go into digital SLRs, then save up more and look at the D50. (about $1100 plus minus) But do remember about the other things you have to get along the way. ;)

Cheers,

heheheh thanks a mil! that helps alot!;)
but it shows that.. im v v v newb...:embrass: lol
anyway thanks...

Status
Not open for further replies.