Hello... an absolute noob here.. pls be gentle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Called up Lord's yesterday and they too don't have the D90 in stock, so are MS, OP and HN, all no stock.. price-wise, they all was qouted me @ around SGD1700.

Hmmm, guess you have to wait or take a look @ B&S or get another DSLR model.

But patience is a virtue, so don't be impulsive when buying. :nono:

Probably that's the only thing you can do now. :sweat:

Where can I get the step-up rings, are they universal and how much are they?

Orient Photo, Sim Lim (but other shops as well, just ask). Prices range from 8 to 12 bucks depending on size. be careful when using them, sometimes filters can get stuck. Never tighten fully. A filter doesn't need the tightening of a wheel nut.

True! I should not be implusive.. although it is damn tempting to get my hands on a D90 now! lol!

But today I got a piece of good news. Samuel from J316 has told me, that I will have a set for reserved for me when the stock comes in, which should be on Wednesday! Yay! hahaha! Can't wait! (OMG.. Im like a kid waiting for his Christmas present!) I have been to his place 3 times since Friday.. trying my luck and see if any stock comes in.. lol.

True! I should not be implusive.. although it is damn tempting to get my hands on a D90 now! lol!

But today I got a piece of good news. Samuel from J316 has told me, that I will have a set for reserved for me when the stock comes in, which should be on Wednesday! Yay! hahaha! Can't wait! (OMG.. Im like a kid waiting for his Christmas present!) I have been to his place 3 times since Friday.. trying my luck and see if any stock comes in.. lol.

best of luck man, i am sure you will love it:)

Woohoo!! I got my hands on a D90 today! Finally! Samuel was so nice to hold on to one for me and impart to me some knowledge on shutter speed and aperature.

Going to the zoo tomorrow and snap me some photos and get intimate with the camera! ;).... and from now till then.. it's manual reading time. :bsmilie:

congrats man... :)

Just curious, why you planned a trip to the zoo?
Specifically for photography, or you originally planned this and the photography is by-the-way?
Zoo animals aren't the easiest subjects for a DSLR (or photography) newbie.

it was an already originally pre-planned trip. Had promised to bring my son to the zoo before I start working next monday... so it's like a bonus having my D90 now.. although I don't know if I get any good shots when I'm there! Lol!

Im going to take it like practise time tomorrow.

Congrats on your purchase!!! :D
Do post pics of your adventure here soon.. ;)

D90 rocks! :bsmilie:

enjoy shooting! :cheers:

Fact: A DSLR is a great tool for taking great pictures. It also have the potential to take much better pictures than PnS in many situations.

However, "pre-noob" should note that even the finest and most well made DSLR does not come with a "auto-good-picture" function or a "guarantee-good-picture" button.. so it is important that buyer is aware of what the DSLR can do and cannot do.

Most likely, the DSLR will produce blurry concert snaps also given the limited lighting condition (unless the whole place is very bright, in which case a reasonable PnS can do the job too). It also depends on whether the user can make use of the advantages that the DSLR offers over the PnS.

Getting a high end DSLR with capable high ISO and high end lens with large aperture might help.. but they'll cost a bomb and will be heavy.

Just balance the expectations correctly and the DSLR will be a worthwhile purchase. :)

My experience with DSLR is zero too!! Same thing/experience: Been wanting to buy a DSLR for ages, but have been holding back. Only after getting back from a long trip and lots of blurry concerts snaps before i decided to get one.. ;p

Last edited:
Hi Limsgp, thanks for the insight!! ;)

I did weigh the pros and cons of buying the DSLR as to whether its a need, or just something i want. And i also researched deeply the potential (and the pitfalls too!) of owning one. Just to make sure my expectations are in-line with what i believe it can do. In the end, getting one is the choice i made.. Maybe i should put up the blurry concert(s) pics i took during my trips to show the limitation of the Sony T7. Mind you, its a 5+yrs model and its equip with max iso of 400 and constant shutter of 1/8secs for dark/dimly lit shots.. Even the brightest lit of gigs will not do the pics justice! Hehehehhhe.. :confused:

Buying a higher/better spec'd PnS did cross my mind, but then it does not come with an "auto-good-picture" function or a "guaranteed-good-picture" button too, plus they're less/not flexible enough with interchangable lens, etc.. So, DSLR still is the right choice for me. ;p

I'm not sure if this is allowed(i'm sorry if it's wrong), but I'll like to post some of the first pictures I took with the D90 on Thursday @ the zoo...

DSC_0114.jpg

DSC_0275.jpg

CSC_0331.jpg

Last edited:
Hello zsubari, thank you for sharing your photos of the zoo outing with us.
Just several comments, only my opinions here:
1. The shot of your son is underexposed. Also, sharpness can be better by - aiming your focus at his eye closer to you, and perhaps being careful of hand shake as obviously there is low lighting and the camera would compensate by slowing down shutter speed.
2. Crop in tighter to zoom in on the pelican. Too many objects in the picture cause just a tad more of distractions.
3. Good candid shot of the parrot. Still, I feel a little underexposed, brightening it up will make this picture so much more beautiful.
My humble opinions.

Hello zsubari, thank you for sharing your photos of the zoo outing with us.
Just several comments, only my opinions here:
1. The shot of your son is underexposed. Also, sharpness can be better by - aiming your focus at his eye closer to you, and perhaps being careful of hand shake as obviously there is low lighting and the camera would compensate by slowing down shutter speed.
2. Crop in tighter to zoom in on the pelican. Too many objects in the picture cause just a tad more of distractions.
3. Good candid shot of the parrot. Still, I feel a little underexposed, brightening it up will make this picture so much more beautiful.
My humble opinions.

Thanks limwhow for the heads up! I will keep these in mind when faced with similar settings.

Cheers! :)

i like the 1st shot the most out of the 3 :thumbsup:

Pity about the focusing being off.
The colours are very muted, but I think it suits the photo. Not sure if you intended it that way. haha.
Regarding the exposure.... maybe it's a tad underexposed, but I think this portrait shot works like this with the rear half of the head in general darkness, and the features on your son's face highlighted by the light from the left.

Clubsnap doesn't have a section for newbies photos as I know... so you're best off posting in the appropriate galleries for some critique. For example, portraits, or landscapes, etc.

Please do. Before this thread is closed

I will keep that in mind. Will not post anymore photos here. I just thought I share my first DSLR experience.

Hmmm.. another question, how do you edit raw photos? I set my camera image quality to NEF(RAW) + JPEG fine. and download the photos taken to my computer. Both types are downloaded and I can view both, but just edit the JPEG one.

Im using the software that came with the camera, Capture NX 2(but why is it trial??).. anyways, I can't open the NEF files for editing. Shows a message saying "can't load the file...."

Status
Not open for further replies.