Heartpatrick in Kolkata

heartpatrick

Oct 25, 2007
Hi All,

In the Lonely Planet travel book of India, Kolkata has but a mere 5 pages of coverage, yet the six days spent venturing deep into its various districts bear no justification to this blatant disregard of what must have been the most magical and fulfilling experience that I have had in the longest of time.

The first two things that caught my attention about Kolkata are its charming tram ways, the only one that is still in operations in the whole of India, and the yellow ambassador cabs. Coupled that with an entire city that is magically locked still in a vintage era many decades ago, I'm totally sold. It was a street photography trip turned vintage goodies shopping spree as I made the pleasant discovery of old alarm clocks, switches, fans and typewriters all going for dirt cheap prices.

And in this third trip to India, the locals proof yet again that they're the friendliest street photography subjects that you'll ever get in the world. The daily life can be a string of painstaking chores, but they always have to pose for you.

Pic 1:
01.jpg

Pic 2:
02.jpg

Pic 3:
03.jpg

Pic 4:
04.jpg

Pic 5:
05.jpg

The full album is available here:
Heartpatrick Travel 2013 Jan - COLORKATA - Kolkata, India

Thanks all.

Heartpatrick
Heartpatrick: Design, Travel, Photography

3 more to share here:

Pic 6:
06.jpg

Pic 7:
07.jpg

Pic 8:
08.jpg

Nice photo, same post as in Malaysia. :)

Nice pictures. Thank for sharing.

Nice pictures. Glad you can visit the place.

Wow! Awesome stuff. You surely do make it look so rich and vibrant. Really nice photos.

Your pictures caused a rethink of perception. Thank you. Very expressive emotions.

Beautiful street photography. Also wished I had the courage to engage strangers the way you did. Thanks for sharing these wonderful images.

Awesome travel photos! I like your take on the everyday life on the streets of India. Simply amazing stuff here.

thanks all for the likes.

Your pictures caused a rethink of perception. Thank you. Very expressive emotions.

i was just sharing with other forummers of how differently india can be perceived, especially if we rely on reportage photos of the place. as I roamed the city, all I feel was happiness and energy and a positive outlook to life as the locals go about with their daily chores with the kind of optimism that we find strangely present in dilapidated neighbourhoods. that triggered me to really rethink about the definition of wealth.

Beautiful street photography. Also wished I had the courage to engage strangers the way you did. Thanks for sharing these wonderful images.

I have also shared that India is most probably the most friendly people in the world when it comes to appearing in front of the camera! I think the bollywood culture is so strong that they do anything to appear in photos and videos, as it's perceived as their chance to grace newspaper and magazine and tv haha. so you'll find that you can almost get anyone and everyone to stop and pose for you, and they will oblige to your every instructions. some will even pull you for a shot of themselves and can get slightly agitated if you refuse to shoot them. haha.