headline : Jailed for obscene act with teen

Status
Not open for further replies.

dreaming

Oct 22, 2006
210lhrq.jpg

http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking+News/Singapore/Story/STIStory_431973.html

A BUSINESSMAN, who counselled a teenager against prostituting himself to older men, ended up sexually abusing the 15-year-old.

Ng Geng Whye, 51, was sentenced to 41/2 months' jail on Friday after pleading guilty to committing an obscene act with a young person under the Children and Young Persons Act.

The court heard that the teen, now 17, who cannot be identified, began chatting online with strangers when he was in Primary 3. He soon became a regular in a chatroom popular with homosexual men. In December 2006, the teen wanted money for clothes and a new cellphone, so he posted messages on the website saying he was 'seeking paid fun'.

Ng was among the men who responded to the posting. The boy offered to perform sexual acts on Ng for $150, but the older man, who is married with a 14-year-old son, advised the teen not to prostitute himself. The teen got angry and stopped chatting with Ng.

In February 2007, he ran away from home. By coincidence, he met Ng online again and they had supper together. Despite their age difference, they started meeting frequently.

Ng persuaded the boy to return home and also hired him to work at his restaurant - Home of the Deep Fried Nyonya Chang - in Kampong Bahru Road. It was there that the offence was committed some time in March 2007 after closing hours.

Sexual acts with people under 16, even with their consent, is prohibited by law. A couple of days after the incident, the boy stopped work and Ng lost contact with him. The teen's mother called the police in May 2007, after receiving an anonymous call about her son's Internet activities.

The boy was questioned and six men, including Ng, were charged with committing obscene acts on a minor.

The first to be charged was Quek Hock Sing, 42, who pleaded guilty in January and was jailed for four months. Victor Ng Yong You, 25, and Thomas Song Choong Chen, 37, were jailed for three months each last month, while Muhammad Hafashah Mohd Aslam, 21, was placed on 15 months' probation. The case against the last man, Balasundram Suppiah, 40, has not been heard.

Ng's lawyer Wendell Wong informed the court that his client will appeal against the sentence. Ng, who now runs an event and artiste management company, is out on $10,000 bail.

Last edited:
it is sometimes the people who profess to be good, sometimes the people who are supposed to be good.. that do the worst deeds.

to me, these are even worse than the predators who just act like predators. for example, if a policeman commits a crime, i would like to think that he should be punished with even more severity, since he is trusted with certain powers that aren't given to just anyone. but that's life. you can't screen everyone properly.

Sentence seems to be too light, i wonder why no canning?

Sentence seems to be too light, i wonder why no canning?

canning is not a issue here

how will these boys grow up with this stigma... no amount of counselling can help these troubled boys

OMFG at first i saw this pic i was like so familiar,then i saw the name.He wanted to ask me to shoot for his talent agency during their concerts.But i rejected bcos of time and it was for free.Then he kept pestering me.Damn he's a pervert.Lucky i nv even see him once

OMFG at first i saw this pic i was like so familiar,then i saw the name.He wanted to ask me to shoot for his talent agency during their concerts.But i rejected bcos of time and it was for free.Then he kept pestering me.Damn he's a pervert.Lucky i nv even see him once

yes, he has a fatherly figure and that's shock me too. one's can't tell a person by it's look.

The sentence is light perhaps because homosexuals are endorsed in this country. There is no hard and fast rule for same gender sex unless the victim was being tied up against his will. But being underaged, there is a case to be heard and tried.

I hope the victims will heal over time. But for those offenders who were exposed, especially the one with his photo and restaurant name splashed out, it can drive them and their own family nuts. This torture is more severe than a stroke of cane.

It is a sad world out there. Let's make a better place to live.

yes, he has a fatherly figure and that's shock me too. one's can't tell a person by it's look.

I was told that there are the 0 digit and the 1 digit gays. For the 1 digit, you wont be able to tell if they are one because they look like just an uncle next door with no hint of lowered testosterone signs.

Ang Siang hill used to be filled by them. now they had found a new hiding place. Dont ask me where they hang out as i am not keen to explore!

Home of the Deep Fried Nyonya Chang??? Now, he'll probably convert it to be the House of the Goreng Pisang! :p

He wants you to shoot for him, or that he wanted to shoot you? ;p

I was told that there are the 0 digit and the 1 digit gays. For the 1 digit, you wont be able to tell if they are one because they look like just an uncle next door with no hint of lowered testosterone signs.

Ang Siang hill used to be filled by them. now they had found a new hiding place. Dont ask me where they hang out as i am not keen to explore!

Wah, gays also go digital ah?

please kindly refain from OT. Tks

OT in KPT??? Ok, so what's the topic of discussion here may I ask? This is my way of expressing contempt for such people, anything wrong with that? If you want serious discussion, why dun you take the topic to crimewatch.com??

Status
Not open for further replies.