Dec 7, 2006
Smokey Mountain
Hi guys,

my 1st try on HDR. for you kind C&C

507194124_137f4e616c.jpg

507195076_7890f72241.jpg

507228161_205c1d134c.jpg

;) thanks for dropping by.

I'm not sure, I used to like that sort of effect and so do 80,000 other souls on Flickr, but it's just not realistic to me.

More like turning a photograph into a graphic picture or something.. Which is ironic, since you might as well start drawing from scratch; but to each his own anyways.

#1 is the most aesthetically pleasing out of the lot, based on graphic design, not photography, imho.

I'm actually not very sure whether you did HDR just for the "graphic" effect when you push the sliders too far to the ends.. Because while in #2 Istana might have been backlit, giving the benefit of doubt, I don't see why #3 needs any HDR whatsoever. =)

My preference is for more realistic looking HDR, heh.

I'm not sure, I used to like that sort of effect and so do 80,000 other souls on Flickr, but it's just not realistic to me.

More like turning a photograph into a graphic picture or something.. Which is ironic, since you might as well start drawing from scratch; but to each his own anyways.

#1 is the most aesthetically pleasing out of the lot, based on graphic design, not photography, imho.

I'm actually not very sure whether you did HDR just for the "graphic" effect when you push the sliders too far to the ends.. Because while in #2 Istana might have been backlit, giving the benefit of doubt, I don't see why #3 needs any HDR whatsoever. =)

My preference is for more realistic looking HDR, heh.

As i have said its my very first attempt at HDR. and in saying so.. i have no idea what really a true HDR looking like.

if youre trying to say that i PP too much then maybe i can agree with you since HDR itself is a graphic play of diferrent exposure shots. i try to overdo it sine i have test some shots that doesnt look HDR to me as what i have seen on other galleries.

What is a graphic design that your talking about. its a capture, its a picture here and none of it was formulated by mere PP. unless youre talking abou the PP it self which i admit i have PP'ed.

what youve seen here are resultants of slider manipulations. and for me HDR is about coming up of an interesting capture out of the ordinary. well maybe im wrong:dunno:

i dunno if a lot of people will agree with me but tweaking the sliders is what i prefer rather do HDR getting an ordinary outcome.

;) cheers..

Excellent work mate. Not bad for a first timer. ;)

I love the atmosphere and feel to the images. I think HDR is great tool for turning boring scenes into a screaming for attention images and you did a pretty good job there. Overall, I love them. Keep shooting! Cheers!

PS: I am still struggling with HDR. LOL!

Nice work, peanutbeer!:thumbsup: Personally, I also feel that #2 & #3 are a bit overdone, but hey, that's really down to personal taste.

Different people have different concepts of what HDR is suppose to do. Just do what appeals to you. As long as you are happy with it, it's good:)

I think they look brilliant and are a good example of HDR. With experience I'm sure you'll make artistic choices about which ones to tone down and which ones to exploit for their graphic effect.

I'm still struggling with HDR despite reading a number of tutorials. If you can point me in the direction of your preferred work flow I would be a very happy bunny.

Yea me too, am totally clueless despite tutorials and online resources...

As i have said its my very first attempt at HDR. and in saying so.. i have no idea what really a true HDR looking like.

if youre trying to say that i PP too much then maybe i can agree with you since HDR itself is a graphic play of diferrent exposure shots. i try to overdo it sine i have test some shots that doesnt look HDR to me as what i have seen on other galleries.

What is a graphic design that your talking about. its a capture, its a picture here and none of it was formulated by mere PP. unless youre talking abou the PP it self which i admit i have PP'ed.

what youve seen here are resultants of slider manipulations. and for me HDR is about coming up of an interesting capture out of the ordinary. well maybe im wrong:dunno:

i dunno if a lot of people will agree with me but tweaking the sliders is what i prefer rather do HDR getting an ordinary outcome.

;) cheers..
To be honest, no one knows what a true HDR looks like; because I don't think any monitor can display true HDR.. =) That's why Photomatix gives you a screwed up looking picture when you first merge the photos in 32 bit form.

There is no PP too much or PP too little per se, more like PP realistically and PP unrealistically, I did state that my personal preference these days is for more realistic HDR; it's easy to go overboard and make it nonrealistic, you see; but more discipline is required. Once again, this is a personal view, and my point is that you should not take it personally; as I said, to each his own.

What I meant was that your photograph looks more like a graphic design due to your PP workflow; nothing wrong in that, just that I do not prefer it.

Cheers, and keep shooting! =)

Thanks night86mare no problem about that... personal preference wont get two person agree;)

yeah the other two pictures are overdone..

to those whose asking on PM's how i achieve it i will just post here how i did it. i was trying to remember coz its a trial and error. one thing for sure its a combi of photomatix and CS2. just tweaking on both softwares. but my photomatix is a trial version so i have save it as a 32-bit hdr and play with sliders on the PS.

ill try to post a more detailed process soon. im recalling how i have achieved such effect. :confused:

nice ..... keep it up :thumbsup:

am also exploring HDR.. I understand that it is a combination of series of exposures.. how is this done? can I just set the brightness of the original picture one step at a time then combine these pictures? or should I set different exposures on the time i shoot the subject?

actually i like all of them as graphic pieces wor :eek:

but anyway maybe this may be a example of a more realistic HDR image:

tea_at_daisetsuzan.jpg

NUmber 1 is good :thumbsup: ....works for me....but i think your photomatix setting way too much...or maybe your contrast setting in your camera too high...great experiment...anyway i expeimented on HDR until i got sick of it.....:bsmilie: ....nevermind, try it until you're good at it...

Status
Not open for further replies.