HDR Best Exposure combination..

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's Singaporean's favorite behavior. See here. ;)

your BALI collection is amazing, most of them are HDR? which camera and lens you used?

Thanks for the compliments. What you see on my Flickr is probably just a selection of my shots. Bali's so beautiful isn't it? I can't seem to get enough of Bali. If you need tips on where to go, just send me a private email.

It's probably wise to practice shooting HDR before going there.

hi

i didn't read all the psot here.

but i will share what i knew from a book:

hdr software works best with 5 exposures...

do not take exposure more than 2 stops apart

there are some more points to take note, but i have returned the book and i forgot to write them down.. but from my memory , here they are:

measure the scene dynamic range, and let's say the scene DR is 9 stops, than your exposures should cover one stops more at each end.

for example:

scene DR is 9 stops

|-4|-3|-2|-1|0|1|2|3|4|

your exposures should cover -5 and +5, so that will mean u will start from -5 to +5, making sure that each exposures are not more than 2 stops apart.

easy right?.. haha...

tone mapping is hard... i tried one with good result, but when i tried 3 exposures using tianya ND Graduated, i got a blue color cast in the sky... haha...

it more or less convince me that i need ND grad with different stops for a easy life.. haha..

Thanks for the compliments. What you see on my Flickr is probably just a selection of my shots. Bali's so beautiful isn't it? I can't seem to get enough of Bali. If you need tips on where to go, just send me a private email.

It's probably wise to practice shooting HDR before going there.

Send you the PM :), Please send me some Bali tips, i am visiting bali for the first time..

hi

there are some more points to take note, but i have returned the book and i forgot to write them down.. but from my memory , here they are:

measure the scene dynamic range, and let's say the scene DR is 9 stops, than your exposures should cover one stops more at each end.

for example:

scene DR is 9 stops

|-4|-3|-2|-1|0|1|2|3|4|

your exposures should cover -5 and +5, so that will mean u will start from -5 to +5, making sure that each exposures are not more than 2 stops apart.

easy right?.. haha...

tone mapping is hard... i tried one with good result, but when i tried 3 exposures using tianya ND Graduated, i got a blue color cast in the sky... haha...

it more or less convince me that i need ND grad with different stops for a easy life.. haha..

Thanks for your reply.. do you remember the name of that book...

Thanks for your reply.. do you remember the name of that book...

Mastering digital exposure and HDR imaging...

but perhaps u should get the book recommended in one of the posts by one brother... at least it is more focused on HDR...

:)

Mastering digital exposure and HDR imaging...

but perhaps u should get the book recommended in one of the posts by one brother... at least it is more focused on HDR...

:)

Thanks..

hi

for example:

scene DR is 9 stops

|-4|-3|-2|-1|0|1|2|3|4|

easy right?.. haha...

Hi there. My experience with HDR is that being the lazy sort, I normally do not strictly "go according to the book". Very often, a +2, -2, and 0 is sufficient with the standard DSLR's AEB feature. I know some high end DSLR can do like 7 shots AEB.

The other reason is that I also want my shooting to be spontaneous, and not so bogged down by technicalities. By the time the nine shots exposures is taken, a lot of movements would have taken place in the scene.

To be honest, a three frame -/o/+ 1 stop bracket really isn't going to help a huge amount. If you're going to use single stops then you need a minimum of 5 shots possibly more depending on the scene as night86mare has said.

There are various HDR guides out there that suggest shooting in 2 stop intervals because you don't gain very much at all (if anything) from single stop intervals. There is also the advantage of less frames to take overall, less frames to store, and less to process. The latter can also be particularly important if you have movement within the frame.

Hi there. My experience with HDR is that being the lazy sort, I normally do not strictly "go according to the book". Very often, a +2, -2, and 0 is sufficient with the standard DSLR's AEB feature. I know some high end DSLR can do like 7 shots AEB.

The other reason is that I also want my shooting to be spontaneous, and not so bogged down by technicalities. By the time the nine shots exposures is taken, a lot of movements would have taken place in the scene.

yes... the issue with HDR is when things are moving in your frame... it is a lot more suitable for landscape and most importantly when the pic r not viewed at 100% .. haha...

but if u get a hi end cam... which can do like 9fps, movement will be less of a problem...

Status
Not open for further replies.