hdb flat as studio - small scale business

Status
Not open for further replies.

reachme2003

Oct 6, 2003
using a hdb flat for a studio -small scale business. looking at it from the regulatory perspective. anyone with experience to share?

read that hdb has a scheme "Home-Based Small Scale Business Scheme". eg. hair salon.

hmm u mean inside your apartment or a shop at the 1st storey kind?

i only know ppl who make rooms that resemble a studio for pte use... but renting out a hdb room to unknown ppl may have some problems & restriction (provided neighbours dun complain)

Del_CtrlnoAlt said:
hmm u mean inside your apartment or a shop at the 1st storey kind?

i only know ppl who make rooms that resemble a studio for pte use... but renting out a hdb room to unknown ppl may have some problems & restriction (provided neighbours dun complain)

yes, i am aware there are some restrictions there. if it is low, i do not think it will be an issue. eg. a hair salon will have ins and outs of customers.

if you are thinking of starting a 2nd career .. why not go all out an start a studio in a proper location?... or partner with someone (e.g. AJ23)... he is pretty good with portrait photography (evident from his many postings)...
I've seen your works from Safra studio course too... you should probably start soon before there are too many studios in the market...

Start simple and reap the rewards...

happy shooting :)

reachme
best dun use the HDB as a studio

unless u intend to paint it all black :)

from my TERRIBLE experience with some fella.......... highly recommend AGAINST it

if u wanna know more...one day we lim kopi ...then i tell story hokay? :bsmilie:

on the other hand, if u want to set up a proper studio.....we can discuss ;)

lol

PL

If you are going to set up a studio in your flat, there may be some things you need to consider first.

1. The wiring of your power outlets and fuseboxes.
- The circuitry in some older flats are unable to cope with the high wattage required for studio strobes. You have to check or upgrade your outlets to prevent your power from shorting and becoming a fire hazard. Frequent power failure can also damage your equipment.

2.Overall Thermal Transfer Value (OTTV)
- Studio strobes generate a lot of heat (except HDI lights). You may have to hire a HDB contractor/checker to check that the heat from your equipment are within the OTTV for your flat. Your neighbours might complain if your equipments are emitting too much heat into their apartments. It's also a major cause of peeling paint.

3.Movement space
- The ceiling maybe a bit too low in HDB flats, so you may be restricted in your lighting, especially if you have other attachments like barndoors or softboxes.

thanks to all. keep it coming. zaren, your attached link is relevant and informative. thanks.

not having read the regulations (only heard of bits and pieces), and not having setup a home business in HDB myself...

i think one of the essential thing is that the neighbours are not disturbed in the process. like no operation of heavy machinery - can imagine the ruckus in a HDB flat!

there's a backpackers hostel that's setup right in a HDB shophouse (2nd storey) in woodlands. One of the criteria the owner had to meet was that whoever has to visit the business don't need to go through a common corridor to get to it.

eg. for the backpackers, it's not very nice if you have 10 or 20 backpackers walking in and out of the premises, and disturb the neighbours - how so? well, you never know what's your neighbours' threshold of tolerance. or say a clumsy backpacker manages to send a neighbour's potted plant crashing with a super-sized duffle bag...

the backpackers hostel's entrance is the back door of the shophouse, so there's no problems there.

for the studio, i guess one thing is whether people might become noisy and disturb the neighbours, whether if any heavy human trafficflow that may arise will disturb the neighbours, and so forth.

people have been having home studios in HDB flats so i don't think doing paid work in it is a problem in so far you meet the regulations and not disturb the neighbours in the process.

bump it up for relevant responses.

Status
Not open for further replies.