Have you ever had this problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyrus

Nov 27, 2004
Australia
The other day I was shooting a model and the weather was erratic. It was going from really bright to really overcast every few minutes which made for some quick setting changes. I didn't mind so much because I had set my camera to save jpegs and raw and with the bracketing and extra flexibility with exposure levels in raw. But when I get home the camera only saved jpegs. I know you're going to say, 'well you obviously made a mistake with the settings" but I'm really really sure I didn't mess up.. has anybody ever had this?

Cyrus

It's probably sheer bad luck. I'm sure we've all had some of these things in our life...being sure that we did something but didn't. Being sure that we'd learn most of the important stuff that they could possibly test in an exam and yet still be faced with a question on some small portion in the last page of the lecture notes that we didn't see. ;)

But if the lack of those pictures wouldn't affect your project adversely, then I think you'll still manage. It's all about covering up (not with lies necessarily) and making it all work out.

Erm no... and in cases like this its probably you and not the camera, despite how you feel.

Cyrus said:
The other day I was shooting a model and the weather was erratic. It was going from really bright to really overcast every few minutes which made for some quick setting changes. I didn't mind so much because I had set my camera to save jpegs and raw and with the bracketing and extra flexibility with exposure levels in raw. But when I get home the camera only saved jpegs. I know you're going to say, 'well you obviously made a mistake with the settings" but I'm really really sure I didn't mess up.. has anybody ever had this?

Cyrus

Hi,

Have you tried the same setup again since then and taken a few shots to see if it happens again ???

Cheers :)

i never shoot raw so i dunno. hehe

The only times I had the "problem" was when I thought I had set the mode to RAW + JPEG... took the pic and then, upon review, recalled that I had indeed not selected the RAW option.

Thankfully these only happened during personal shoots and not paid ones, where I would really have loved to have e raw format.

Cheers

Cyrus said:

Cyrus

Just a question, how did you find out that your RAW files were not saved? When you were transferring out of the cam to the computer or otherwise? I had a similar encounter before, but after checking the cam, realised that while connecting out of the camera via USB, the RAW files won't show up in the folders when the transfer mode option out of the camera is set to normal ( I had to set it to PTP before the RAW files turn up).

Thats' very interesting. I only noticed it once I had transferred the files once I got home. I actually took my laptop but it was too bright ot see the cursor on the lcd screen to transfer them safely so I did it once I got home. I'd go back and change the transfer settings but i'e since reformatted my cards to use in a different camera.. DOH.

Thanks very much for the constructive suggestion.

Cyrus

Status
Not open for further replies.