hasselblad 500cm

Status
Not open for further replies.

wildswan

Apr 2, 2003
jurong west
Visit site
hi,
any user of the above camera? could you tell me more about the cam's pros and cons and any of it known problem? thank you.

Solid camera, very well-built. A workhorse.

minus - quite old now, original screen very dim, (but can change to a newer bright screen but costs a lot, like S$300?), no meter, prism costly and bulky.

Another potential problem: may get jammed if lens is removed w/o first turning the crank (common and costly mistake!)

while 500CM is not expensive now, the lenses, accessories are still costly. not for low budget minded.

i saw a few bodies at peninsula this afternoon. as i was looking around for a medium format camera, i thought maybe i should not exclude the 500cm (it will become affordable if i sell away a bicycle, a golf set and a SLR). the rollei 6008 or 6000 series are beyond my budget and two bronica SQAi sets just slipped by.

other than ron's camera which has a good collection of the camera, is there another shop with a large collection so that i can pick up a good one at a reasonable price?

If you could find one for $600 - $700, (presuming fully working order), it's a good deal. There are only that few used cam shops around that area that u mentioned (TCW, Prime). Almost everyone of them has 500CM. Check and compare the prices and u won't get "kotok" :p Remember, don't rush into the first seemingly-good offer (it could be a trap).

Have you shot 6x6 previously? You could get a cheapo Rolleicord TLR or even a Seagull to try out. They are really good for under $500 (or $200 for Seagull).

i have not shot 6x6. considered the seagull but found it not 'shiok'. as for the rolleicord/rolleiflex, i have tried them but i'm consider the upgradeability of the system. seen a bronica SQAi set but it was sold. so thot i just go for it - since i had always wanted a hasselblad.

You might want to look at one in good condition. Else you are looking at a very expensive repair bill. Something like $300+ at the agent for a minor repair. So don't just look at the cheap ones.

Also you have to decide whether you mind the exterior condition. Hassy's are built to last, so you can have a mechanically working body but exterior looks worn.

What would you think a reasonable is? $2,500 for a basic kit is possible.

Lenses are the most expensive addition.

i think a good one should cost somewhere between $1800 to $2500.

most important thing to me is the lens. must not have any defect (dust on the exterior is acceptable) and should be quite new. so the CF or CFE model.

i don't mind a bit of marks on the body but will be willing to pay for one that is in good cosmetic condition. and the linings inside of the body, the mirror and focusing screen should be in good condition too.

since i'm going to 'reward' myself with a hasselblad, i will take my time to scout for a good one except that i have not seen many of them and i'm also no expert in these cameras. that's the main problem, i.e. to buy from secondhand shops with limited warranty or to buy direct from a reliable source.

it wasn't as easy as buying my first Minolta X300 kit!

One of the first thing to look at is the lining/sponge inside the body. Any of it falling apart due to our weather or age means that you will definitely need to send it in if you are picky.

Focusing is interchangeable so if possible get the shop to let you try out a few to see which one you like if they have a few body for you to choose.

About 2 months back there were 1 or 2 mint ones in Ron's shop. Those at TCW and Prime looks pretty worn exteriorly.

You might want to check it out!

i was at ron's and saw a mint 500cm kit. will scout around for a few more days and i will decide which one to buy. is the 503cx comparably better?

Dun know whether the 503 cx is better or not.

From the Hasselblad Manual;
"The 503cx comes with Acute-Matte focusing screen and is equipped with the automatic dedicated flash system that measures light off the film plane. The measuring cell is located inside the camera body"

Hope that info helps.

Even though I got mine in pretty mint condition, I still had to sent it for replacing the mirror lining as it was falling apart after I used it for a year. But then it is already 20+ years old.

Regards.

any idea the price for an excellent condition A12/A24 back and a polaroid back? a good and clean 80mm CF lens (i prefer the black ones then the chrome ones).

i found out from Metz website that 503cx can have TTL flash. that's really useful right?

An excellent condition A12 back can easily cost from $350 to $400.

A mint one can cost up to $600. Not too sure about the A24 back. Availability of the 220 film may be a problem.

The Hassy Polaroid back costs about $450. However, I got my NPC back at about $100 when I bought my kit.

TTL flash? Not too sure if it is useful or not as I use it to shoot studio or daylight only.

When you use a manual cam, you may not be bothered whether it has TTL or not.

quite correct that we shouldnt be too bothered with other automation when we use a manual camera. i am convinced that i should buy a hasselblad. a 500 series; 500c, 500cm or 503cx.

Status
Not open for further replies.