Has anyone moved from 50 f/1.2L to f/1.4

rendition

Jan 26, 2008
Singapore
www.visualverve.sg
I have the 1.2L and it's quite possibly one of the best lenses I have... I only have 4 though LOL. Anways, I have been using it for a year or so and recently, I feel the need of getting a 100 or 135 prime and I'm just thinking if it's worth it to "downgrade" to the f/1.4? What will I lose other than the red ring which honestly has never been a big of a deal for me...:bsmilie::bsmilie::bsmilie: I've seen great reviews on the 1.4 and the fact that it is very much comparable to 1.2 in terms of IQ. Seriously though, the 1.2L can get me 50/1.4, 85/1.8 and 100/2 or 135L!

FYI, I currently own the 16-200 f/2.8 trinity. Thank you in advance for your 2 cents!

Last edited:
Since you have 16-200 f2.8 range you might want to ask yourself if that additional one stop (getting 100/2 or 135/2) is crucial. D Personally I would not downgrade unless really required because one day I might have the urge to upgrade back again.

Alternatively, if getting the 100/135 is not urgent then just save up and buy next time?

Thanks for replyin! Of course I welcome the additional one stop, it's the reason I'm considering it... it's more than just the one stop difference actually – lens like 135 is sharp wide open as opposed to the 70-200 and also maybe it's me who's getting old, I'm tired of lugging the 70-200 around unless I really need to.

Haha... thought of saving but sometimes, I tend to get the feeling that owning the 50L is a little too much. Seriously wondering what f/1.4 has to offer...

I love my 50L! Since you are a professional photographer I would suggest you keep the 50L as the f/1.4 version has pretty high AF failure rate.

Well on the other hand you can easily stock 4x 50mm f/1.4 if you sell your 50L :smilie: Personally I went for the 50L for the red ring and the better built. I tried the f/1.4... hard to find fault on that lens other than the lack of red paint on its barrel.

I recently got myself a 50mm f1.4. I do not think that focusing is a problem. Produce sharp and clear focus image at f2.0 which is quite sufficient to get good DOF. I think unclear image only appear more frequent between f1.4 to f1.8. Anyway I am just a newbie, please pardon me if I am wrong.

Don't downgrade. The 50L overwrites all other Canon 50mm lenses other than f/1.0L.

I came from using the f1.4 and upgraded to the f1.2. IMO no contest. They don't price it @4x f1.4 for nothing.

I must admit though, shooting at f1.2 is not easy, but you have the option to stop down.

My 50/1.4 had AF problem. It didn't die but always overshoot during AF.

yeah AF failure on the 1.4 is pretty common, two friends of mine had their 50 1.4 suddenly die on them for no apparent reason. And if you want user opinion on the 135, I absolutely love mine, I almost always use it at f2.0 because it's abundantly sharp enough wide open that's there no real reason to stop down (it gets even sharper across the frame when stopped down though) unless you specifically want deeper DoF for if the sun is too bright

lens like 135 is sharp wide open as opposed to the 70-200.

There are five versions of 70-200 by Canon alone, plus third party offerings. The 70-200 2.8 II is jaw droppingly tack sharp wide open.

yeah AF failure on the 1.4 is pretty common, two friends of mine had their 50 1.4 suddenly die on them for no apparent reason. And if you want user opinion on the 135, I absolutely love mine, I almost always use it at f2.0 because it's abundantly sharp enough wide open that's there no real reason to stop down (it gets even sharper across the frame when stopped down though) unless you specifically want deeper DoF for if the sun is too bright

Hmm I must be one of the lucky ones. My EF 50/1.4 has gone through 11 years of regular usage and is still going strong. AF did get abit noisy when pointed upwards but a CLA on the 10th year solved it. We'll see how long more it can go.

Kenneth67C said:
I came from using the f1.4 and upgraded to the f1.2. IMO no contest. They don't price it @4x f1.4 for nothing.

I must admit though, shooting at f1.2 is not easy, but you have the option to stop down.

I came from the 50 f/1.8 II, even a greater difference.

I thing I don't like about the 50L is that the silly red dot is on the side of the lens that is hard to see when trying to mount. Bad placement.

For me no issue as over time when u use it, u'll know where the red mounting dot is.

Still loving my 50L to bits and currently still the most expensive lens in my inventory. ;p

I have read review on 50L and 50 f1.4.. from the review, it seems that 50L is not really as sharp as 50 f1.4 when stopped down from F2 onwards. I psersonally own a 50mm f1.4 just bought recently for my wedding workz.. Would hope to get opinion from seniors here who own both 50L and 50 f1.4. Which is faster on focusing? Colour and Contrast is it really better than 50 f1.4?

I have read review on 50L and 50 f1.4.. from the review, it seems that 50L is not really as sharp as 50 f1.4 when stopped down from F2 onwards. I psersonally own a 50mm f1.4 just bought recently for my wedding workz.. Would hope to get opinion from seniors here who own both 50L and 50 f1.4. Which is faster on focusing? Colour and Contrast is it really better than 50 f1.4?

My 50L is very sharp at f/2.0 though.

I've owned both before, focusing speed is about the same, you won't notice the difference.
Sharpness, color fidelity IMO the 50L is better. I got rid of the f1.4, its a no-brainer decision.