Hardware doubts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cavemonkey

Aug 26, 2007
Hi

I just started looking into photography not long ago and find it really interesting and I'm completely a newbie in this area. I'm planning to get an entry-level dslr to start with but I'm not really sure what kind of dslr is best for people like me, who knew nothing about photography. I attended a very basic lesson on photography but I do not think that is enough to make a wise selection in the type of camera I might want to purchase.

Besides getting the camera, keeping the camera in good working condition is also important, thus the type of equipment used for maintaining the condition of the camera comes into topic. I'm wondering what kind of cleaning kit I should get and where can I get them. And also filters. All these to me are a little overwhelming...

A little help/advise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Hi

I just started looking into photography not long ago and find it really interesting and I'm completely a newbie in this area. I'm planning to get an entry-level dslr to start with but I'm not really sure what kind of dslr is best for people like me, who knew nothing about photography. I attended a very basic lesson on photography but I do not think that is enough to make a wise selection in the type of camera I might want to purchase.

Besides getting the camera, keeping the camera in good working condition is also important, thus the type of equipment used for maintaining the condition of the camera comes into topic. I'm wondering what kind of cleaning kit I should get and where can I get them. And also filters. All these to me are a little overwhelming...

Honestly, I would suggest you look up on more info on the co-relation of ISO, aperture, shutter speed. Composition, types of photography, etc...

Then you can consider your budget which needs to include a basic cleaning kit (solvents, cleaning cloth, brush, blower, etc) a dry cabinet, a tripod, an external flash, extra batteries (for flash and camera), extra memory card, etc...

Each of the brands have their strong points and each have their problems, so I won't sell you a brand here. Look out for their pros and cons and go down to the shop and feel them, try them out and see how they handle in your hands.

Cheers,

why not u buy a cheap cheap prosumer or consumer camera with manual controls first?
Learn the basics with low startup costs and low maintenance.
By the time you gain some experience, you will know exactly wat type of dslr and lens you need.

Do you have friends into photography ? What brand are they using ? Ask their feedbacks and reviews. Recommend to get the same brand as them so that you can share the lens or accessories.

sadly I don't have any friends who are interested in this area. So I'm rather clueless in this area. I do have a consumer camera. played around with it and the thing I dislike about them is the slow shutter speed. Besides that, there's limited zoom to it also. But I have no intention to divide into a dslr that fast also. I've been scouting around and taking opinions about what type of dslr suits me best.

besides, I don't really have the money now to get everything I need for a dslr. so this to me is something like a mid long term kind of thing.

sadly I don't have any friends who are interested in this area. So I'm rather clueless in this area. I do have a consumer camera. played around with it and the thing I dislike about them is the slow shutter speed. Besides that, there's limited zoom to it also. But I have no intention to divide into a dslr that fast also. I've been scouting around and taking opinions about what type of dslr suits me best.

besides, I don't really have the money now to get everything I need for a dslr. so this to me is something like a mid long term kind of thing.

just curious on 3 things:
1. whats your level of interest in photography? Do you think you will be very committed?
2. Do you have the basic skills yet?
3. Your current camera has Manual, Aperture and Shutter mode?

If yes to all above, I think it's still ok for your to go straight into DSLR.
And also, you may consider a 2nd hand entry level DSLR with kit lens.

Hi

You need a dry box at the very least - same if you get a prosumer, about $20 thereabouts for a normal one.

Might want to get a tripod too, cleaning kit not so important, can always get budget version from PPCP.

Filters - only get those whereby you cannot replicate effect in PS and should be enough, stuff like CPL, ND, GND, and even IR, at most whole package cost around $100+, give or take a few ten dollars.

If you think you know nothing about photography, I suggest you consider trying a second hand prosumer. From a reputable buyer of course. Experiment first, until you find yourself needing to do more, then upgrade. For all you know, you might lose the interest quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.