Status
Not open for further replies.

Edmund

ClubSNAP Admin
Staff member
Jan 17, 2002
Singapore
eoslightbox.com
What kind of photography equipment are you looking for that cannot be (or are difficult to be) found in Singapore or in the region?

(There is another similar thread but on photography services, such as equipment rental in the ClubSNAP Photographic Services sub-forum. So please keep this thread for photography equipment only.)

I know, I know...

Actually I've rigged up a cheap wireless (manual) flash solution to circumvent E-TTL and the preflash, so don't really need the ST-E2 now.

I mount a cheap non-dedicated flash to the D30, and cover the flash with exposed film negative (cut it out from the old negatives - the dark portion). The flash has only one contact in the centre, and it fires upon exposure. The exposed film negatives allows the flash to trigger the slaves, but contribute only a negligible amount of light to the overall picture. This is an old trick learnt from CP990 days.

Then I mount a couple of other flashes on slave triggers ($15-$18 each) and put these on tripods. Viola! Wireless studio flash system! Adding more lights is a very cheap proposition - second hand cheap flash + slave trigger (< $100).

The self portrait was taken with this setup.

Kirk ballhead...hope to try before buying...or compare side by side with Arca Swiss B1.

Really Right Stuff plate. Really expensive and hassel to order from them...

Battery chargers like the maha brands :D

Originally posted by StreetShooter
I know, I know...

Actually I've rigged up a cheap wireless (manual) flash solution to circumvent E-TTL and the preflash, so don't really need the ST-E2 now.

I mount a cheap non-dedicated flash to the D30, and cover the flash with exposed film negative (cut it out from the old negatives - the dark portion). The flash has only one contact in the centre, and it fires upon exposure. The exposed film negatives allows the flash to trigger the slaves, but contribute only a negligible amount of light to the overall picture. This is an old trick learnt from CP990 days.

Then I mount a couple of other flashes on slave triggers ($15-$18 each) and put these on tripods. Viola! Wireless studio flash system! Adding more lights is a very cheap proposition - second hand cheap flash + slave trigger (< $100).

The self portrait was taken with this setup.

Be careful. The correct way is to use a piece of UN-exposed and developed SLIDE film. The slide film allows the IR of the flash to go through and trigger the slaves. The negative does NOT. Using it this way for prolonged periods of time is detrimental to your flash.

Regards
CK

Good flash brackets (Stroboframe Press-T etc). Cathay only brings in the Quickflip and charges 2.5x the real price.

Acid free paper, albums, and other material. I'm astonished that the people at the big shops like Cathay and Ruby haven't a clue about acid free / archival albums. "Duh.... what is that?". So far I've only found O&R (Ordning&Reda) in Citylink mall selling acid free products.

Some films : Fuji NPZ, Kodak Portra 800, etc. Cathay told me that the agents are not bringing these in, sorry :(

Status
Not open for further replies.