Hangzhou - Impressions of West Lake

eng_keow

Oct 8, 2004
Mt Alvernia Hospital
www.pbase.com
Took a Bullet Train from Shanghai to Hangzhou to catch this show by Zhang Yimou. Weather was not good, a bit drizzly. Was told by our friends that they can cancel the show without refunds. Still braved everything. The touts for taxi at the train station in Hangzhou is really something, even threatening. Nonetheless, queued for 40 mins to get a taxi to the venue. When we got there, we were actually still early. Managed to have a great dinner opposite at the Shangri-la and then the show. It was worth every penny of it. Really enjoyed the music by Kitaro and theme song sung by Jane Zhang. Haunting, a bit eerie, sends chills down my spine and got my hairs standing but very nice, very memorable.

6329300690_dd45bcbbdc_b.jpg

6328548675_c2b30d4dc4_b.jpg

6328550277_483b50c24f_b.jpg

6329305826_dd9653c398_b.jpg

Last edited:
Brings back memories.
I caught this show last Sep when we went on a Jiangnan tour specially to see the Shanghai World Expo.
After watching so many of Zhang Yimou's shows, I feel that his first show, Impressions Lijiang at Lijiang, Yunnan is still the best.

tomcat said:
Brings back memories.
I caught this show last Sep when we went on a Jiangnan tour specially to see the Shanghai World Expo.
After watching so many of Zhang Yimou's shows, I feel that his first show, Impressions Lijiang at Lijiang, Yunnan is still the best.

Heard a lot about his other productions. There are others on Hainan dao, Kunming too. Did you post any pics on Lijiang? If you did, let me have the link to have a look.

Thanks.

Heard a lot about his other productions. There are others on Hainan dao, Kunming too. Did you post any pics on Lijiang? If you did, let me have the link to have a look.

Thanks.
I did post the pics from the Lijiang show here before. The pics are here:
Impression Lijiang Jokul Photo Gallery by Steve at pbase.com

As you can see from those pics, the audience is much closer to the performers and can almost reach out and touch them in some portions of the show. In all his later productions, the audience are seated quite far away and are all night performances.