Hands-on w/ SMC DA 18-135/3.5-5.6 Lens (Many Photos)

unfortunately i haven't started using adobe photoshop yet. been using the windows picture viewer and there wasn't a way where i can crop, zoom in and maintain 100% sizing... unless i am missing something. will try with photoshop elements and see how...

the sad part is my pentax viewer program has never been able to work since i got my k-x:cry:

is it a free download? if it is i'll give it a shot when i get home

if u have photoshop elements, u should be able to do a 100% crop.

the idea is to see the level of details in a small section of a full sized pic to determine level of details, noise, etc. (in other words, pixel peeping ;))

just open the full sized jpeg in PS, use the crop tool to crop a small section and save the file in a new JPEG.

if u have photoshop elements, u should be able to do a 100% crop.

the idea is to see the level of details in a small section of a full sized pic to determine level of details, noise, etc. (in other words, pixel peeping ;))

just open the full sized jpeg in PS, use the crop tool to crop a small section and save the file in a new JPEG.

hmmm ok. cos i never rly used my elements much as i dnt do much PP so far...

oh btw, which portion would you suggest i crop? the centre where the lens box is?

not sure if this is a 100% crop cos i just kinda played with ps elements here...

but here goes... same sequence as before

18-55, f3.5

5237946088_41e28c7a62_b.jpg

18-135, f3.5

5237353361_7e8abab598_b.jpg

18-55, f8.0

5237948828_5b184e7cdc_b.jpg

18-135, f8.0

5237354359_102a07f5e5_b.jpg

Ok, now can someone tell me what you are looking for and what can you deduce from cropping the pix?:dunno:

the 18-55 @ 3.5 picture seems not in focus

the 18-55 @ 3.5 picture seems not in focus

i suspect that might be the case...

i had the camera on auto11 focus, hit the half shutter to focus after i set it up on tripod and then just pressed and let the timer do the rest. so its possible that it focused differently than in the rest of the pics. the other possibility is that the tripod may have moved... sorry, if this makes things inconclusive...:(

i suspect that might be the case...

i had the camera on auto11 focus, hit the half shutter to focus after i set it up on tripod and then just pressed and let the timer do the rest. so its possible that it focused differently than in the rest of the pics. the other possibility is that the tripod may have moved... sorry, if this makes things inconclusive...:(

Can always retake when you are free;)

Can always retake when you are free;)

i can replicate the lighting conditions but i cannot guarantee the exact position of the camera, distances and positions of the objects. will that still be useful?

Thanks again GSiGuy for your hardwork :thumbsup:
Got my lens already, will try this weekend :)

Thanks again GSiGuy for your hardwork :thumbsup:
Got my lens already, will try this weekend :)

maybe u can do a btr job than i can:D

this is the best i can do with the 18-55. 18mm @ f3.5

5238320762_c222a9d00a_b.jpg

so anyone notice any significant differences or can draw any conclusions?

Just tested this lens, man it's good. Built quality is really good for what appears to be a consumer zoom. The zoom ring is the right size, the lens is a good size, the images are really tack sharp, it can focus really close and I believe its magnification is quite close to 1:2.x even at 135mm.

I like the 100 WR rounded aperture blades, I am going to assume that the 135's really nice as well (no chance to test out on portraiture).

The silent focusing from the DC motor is just icing on the cake. Another quality product from Pentax, certainly useful for travel, esp. the recently concluded trek into Gunung Ledang's streams and waterfalls.

Last edited:
Congrats Bernard! I thought you conserving to get the X100;)
But I am still waiting for my opportunity :sweat: Anyone looking for a 1770? ;p

Found this person in Flickr picture using the 18-135

Untitled by s.sawada, on Flickr

Congrats Bernard! I thought you conserving to get the X100;)
But I am still waiting for my opportunity :sweat: Anyone looking for a 1770? ;p

Eh ... I've not bought it. Just test nia. ;)